How much does your overnight pack weight?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
Assuming you carry shelter, bedding, extra layer, shell, stove/pot and water for drinking on the move but not water for cooking at the camp.

How much would your overnight pack weigh?

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
I've just realised I can't spell. :p

I know you're dying for someone to ask you Terr, so I will,.....How much does your pack weigh ? :p

You first! ;)

I guess it's around 12kg if the dog carries his own food and gear. Probably around 15kg if I have to carry it.

Do I have to include the car?

Only if it fits inside your bag :p

What time of year?

This time of year. Assuming temperatures are around 0C at night.

Blackberry

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2012
Cardiff
Packed my kit, weighed myself- put the pack on and it was only around 1kg 5 pounds???

I have sleeping bag/bivy/mat/water/knife/saw so much be wrong? Will have a better look after work :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I guess it's around 12kg if the dog carries his own food and gear.

Do you have panniers for the dog then? Been looking at some but my dog might be too small (& they'd have to be properly waterproof as he's always jumping in ponds)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For an overnighter in the hammock, my kit will weigh 6kg and I'll top that up with food and alcohol, usually to about 10kg. Ifr I'm having to carry water in, add another 5kg for 5 l.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Probably around 10kg including food and water.
I plan on lightening some kit later in the spring though by investing in a neoair all season, making a down top quilt and getting a <1kg 50-60L lightweight pack.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
Do you have panniers for the dog then? Been looking at some but my dog might be too small (& they'd have to be properly waterproof as he's always jumping in ponds)

Yes, I just purchased a Ruff Wear Palisades pack from Cabelas over in the states. I don't think there's a fully waterproof pack available for dogs but you could always get 2 waterproof stuff sacks and line the panniers with them.

The smallest size is for 53-76cm girth. Its on sale for about $70 at Cabelas right now but I don't know about shipping to the UK.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
No matter how I try to reduce, upgrade gear with lighter alternatives and rigorously weed out what I don't need, no matter where or when I'm going, my pack always seems to weigh the same: 12 kilograms. 55 years ago, it always used to weigh 28lbs. (Wish my bodyweight was as stable!)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Yes, I just purchased a Ruff Wear Palisades pack

You can get them in the UK - they're £100, mind! Good job they don't make one small enough for a cocker spaniel. Thinking about the Kurgo Wander Pack now - it's mainly so he can carry bags of his own poo rather than making me lug them around...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE