How much are women able to carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You know that they discussed going Metric over 170 years in UK? Happened around 20 years ago.
It was a relief!

1965 actually (well that's when it started, we were dragged in inch by inch). Of course, we still measure speed in miles per hour and fuel consumption in miles per gallon! However, UK scientists were at the forefront of developing metric systems of measurement for science and engineering in the 1800's.

Unfortunately, I was at school in North Africa using the metric system then came back to the UK and didn't stand a chance - 12 inches to a foot? 16 oz to a lb? then 14 lb to a stone!!!! insane.

If I'm doing woodwork I will still occasionally flip my rule over and use the inches scale if it's more convenient :)

Reactions: oldtimer

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Meanwhile on another forum or FB group in a parallel universe, a woman shared some pictures from a recent long distance hiking trip she had done with her male partner and asked a few questions (giving all relevant information) about load carrying and how to avoid fatigue at the end of the day.

She received friendly, practical, on point advice relevant to her specific situation mostly from other active women hikers as well as professional and volunteer outdoor activity instructors with experience of organising mixed-sex and mixed-ability groups. She also got a few responses from active male hikers who despite acknowledging that they were perhaps not best placed to advise her, were generally positive and helpful.

More photos of past trips were exchanged, future plans and possible routes and camping sites were discussed and a few members decided to meet up and go hiking together.

One day BCUK, one day..... :)

In the meantime BCUK sometimes resembles the parochial house on Craggy Island but with the inmates wearing Hulk Hogan T shirts instead of dog collars. ;)

Last edited:

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Meanwhile on another forum or FB group in a parallel universe, a woman shared some pictures from a recent long distance hiking trip she had done with her male partner and asked a few questions (giving all relevant information) about load carrying and how to avoid fatigue at the end of the day.

She received friendly, practical, on point advice relevant to her specific situation mostly from other active women hikers as well as professional and volunteer outdoor activity instructors with experience of organising mixed-sex and mixed-ability groups. She also got a few responses from active male hikers who despite acknowledging that they were perhaps not best placed to advise her, were generally positive and helpful.

More photos of past trips were exchanged, future plans and possible routes and camping sites were discussed and a few members decided to meet up and go hiking together.

One day BCUK, one day..... :)

I listened to this lady, who greatly impressed me.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathrine_Switzer

Some more here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b040hx68.

Reactions: Nomad64

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Dawn-French-and-Jennifer--001.jpg
Oh dear, you have been secretly photographing me. Naughty you!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
1965 actually (well that's when it started, we were dragged in inch by inch). Of course, we still measure speed in miles per hour and fuel consumption in miles per gallon! However, UK scientists were at the forefront of developing metric systems of measurement for science and engineering in the 1800's.

Unfortunately, I was at school in North Africa using the metric system then came back to the UK and didn't stand a chance - 12 inches to a foot? 16 oz to a lb? then 14 lb to a stone!!!! insane.

If I'm doing woodwork I will still occasionally flip my rule over and use the inches scale if it's more convenient :)
I qualified as a primary school teacher in 1969. My first boss told me not to bother to reach my class of 10 year olds any imperial measures as by the time they were adults only metric measurements would be in use. In our Local Education Authority, the man in charge of policy for the implementation of teaching for the metric future was Mr Bob Stone. I retired from the world of education in 2000 and celebrated with a pint in the local, two ounces of jelly babies and a pound of apples and walked the 200 yards back home and resolved to lose a stone in weight to be fit for retirement. The following day I used just over two gallons of petrol to drive 75 miles to the Peak District and visited a few of my favourite spots using my inch to the mile map and carrying my 25 lb pack.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I still can't get my head around metric. If my doc gives me height and weight in metric.. I ask her to tell me in English which she kindly does. I still think to myself how much a packet of crisps used to be .. sixpence old money and get a shock when I realise how many shillings I pay for the same item nowadays.

Reactions: santaman2000

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I qualified as a primary school teacher in 1969. My first boss told me not to bother to reach my class of 10 year olds any imperial measures as by the time they were adults only metric measurements would be in use. In our Local Education Authority, the man in charge of policy for the implementation of teaching for the metric future was Mr Bob Stone. I retired from the world of education in 2000 and celebrated with a pint in the local, two ounces of jelly babies and a pound of apples and walked the 200 yards back home and resolved to lose a stone in weight to be fit for retirement. The following day I used just over two gallons of petrol to drive 75 miles to the Peak District and visited a few of my favourite spots using my inch to the mile map and carrying my 25 lb pack.
and woke up in Belgium.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Hmmm, I thought it was women who were supposed to be the bitchy ones! You guys outclass me by a long way! :) :). This thread has been the strangest one I've come across on this forum.
Can anyone tell me what blow up dolls have to do with bushcraft or have I missed something vital ? Do I realy need to carry one in my kitbag or not? How much extra weight will I have to carry and does anyone think it will overload my poor old back by carrying too much weight relative to my weight height and fitness? :) :)
Ps
I have been known to take a teddy bear camping in my formative years but have not done so for some while. Could I take a teddy instead?

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Hmmm, I thought it was women who were supposed to be the bitchy ones! You guys outclass me by a long way!
My tongue is always firmly in my cheek. :) in case you haven't noticed already. I take a walking group weekly, mostly ladies, and we all get along fine. As long as I buy the tea.:emoji_thumbsup:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I know what you mean I have a permanent lump in one cheek! :) you obviously know how to keep your ladies happy. May I suggest some scones with the tea? Or a slice of lemon drizzle cake?

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Reactions: GuestD

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Hmmm, I thought it was women who were supposed to be the bitchy ones! You guys outclass me by a long way! :) :). This thread has been the strangest one I've come across on this forum.
Can anyone tell me what blow up dolls have to do with bushcraft or have I missed something vital ? Do I realy need to carry one in my kitbag or not? How much extra weight will I have to carry and does anyone think it will overload my poor old back by carrying too much weight relative to my weight height and fitness? :) :)
Blow up dolls could be used as an air bed or reserve water carrier. I've always tried to use kit capable of more than one function. If only I could find one that could carry its fair share of kit......

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Blow up dolls could be used as an air bed or reserve water carrier. I've always tried to use kit capable of more than one function. If only I could find one that could carry its fair share of kit......
They do seem to perform reasonably well as an aircraft auto-pilot, but there are some bugs to be ironed out.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Blow up air bed is a good thought though it may be a bit uncomfortable being poked in the back all night long. Besides I don't have a double hammock so it could be a bit of a squash.

Reactions: Fadcode

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE