How much are women able to carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Isn't it funny all this time we have been members of the EEC no one has ever spoke French, and now we are about to leave (just consulted a crystal ball to see when, but the ball is shrouded in fog) everyone is spouting out foreign words, is there a hidden agenda going on here,when will Teresa have her day...........here we go again May Day, May Day, wasn't that originally french (m'aidez) they are everywhere, what's it all got to do with young ladies and their rucksacks.............I don't know, I need a drink...a lot of drink, I need help............m'aidez...............m'aidez.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The hazing/bullying thing in the armed forces crops up in the news here from time to time, usually after some poor young recruit decides that being penetrated with a broom handle wasn’t what he signed up for and tops himself. If that kind of thing made you the man you are today then fair enough.....
This is what you think hazing is? You get your experience from “ha crops,up on the news?” So apparently you have no firsthand knowledge of military life. That also explains much.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....You seem concerned that my development as a man has been stunted as a result of not being exposed to a hyper-masculine environment during my youth. As I mentioned earlier, I spent my late teens many thousands of miles from home working in rural Australian shearing sheds. Plenty of testosterone, beer and lots of pranks at the expense of the Pommie kid but all in good heart and definitely no broom handles......
This (the pranks) seems to indicate a better understanding of what hazing really is.

That said, I assume from your reference to “shearing sheds” your work was heavily related to sheep? Hardly a “masculine” environment; although I expect the Aussie style ranching probably makes up for the Old World farming image they usually conjure.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......Santaman, I’m probably not the only person on here wondering whether all this rather desperate macho bravado is just masking some deep insecurities. I guess when a national hero and alpha male athlete like Bruce Jenner ends up rocking frocks on reality TV, it could start a lesser man worrying about his identity. Don’t worry, IME, it is quite possible to respect and even admire strong and capable women without wanting to become one - not sure what will happen if you start speaking French though! :)
I think I understand your confusion now. You think Bruce Jenner was an “athlete.” To the best of my knowledge the closest he came to anything “athletic” was running.

And apparently you think he was “an alpha male?” If he ever displayed any “alpha” tendencies he gave them up when he married into the Kardashian’s. Hmmm. Now that I think of it, that was the worst thing about his transition; it gave reporters another excuse to interview the Kardashian’s.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I think I understand your confusion now. You think Bruce Jenner was an “athlete.” To the best of my knowledge the closest he came to anything “athletic” was running.

E966354E-1EC4-4D66-BB55-6C17143FBBB4.jpeg

Santaman, when you start trying to argue that an Olympic decathlon champion is not an “athlete” it is probably time to put the keyboard away and ask the nurse for your medication before the small handful of people on here who take things you say seriously start having doubts! :)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Il sagit de Francais/Anglais. Je voudrai dire quatre choses, mais en Anglais parce que c'est plus facile comme ca et mon ordinateur anglais manque des accents.

1 When we bought our place in France, we decided to swop English lessons with French friends for reciprocal lessons in French. I think it must be because we are both qualified and experienced teachers that our French friends have improved their English much more than we have improved our French. We also seem to have acquired the ability to instantly get almost all waiters speaking English.

2 In our street, our neighbours are; French, Irish, German and Spanish. We speak English with the Irish and French with the French, the Germans and the Spanish because apart from the Irish, no-one speaks English. The German lady speaks excellent French and correct ours, but her husband speaks only German, which we do not. The Spanish neighbour is an elderly widow who was a refugee from the Spanish Civil War and speaks unintelligible French: unfortunately because our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter speak Spanish, and co-incidentally with the accent of the region from which she comes, she is under the mistaken impression that we too speak Spanish and conversation is limited to say the least. She is also under the impression that since our daughter-in-law is a doctor, we too are interested in all the symptoms of her various ailments. We recently learned to our surprise that the little old lady we had known for 20 years was in fact ten years younger that us.

3 I was chatting, in English, with a German. I had overheard him talking to some French friends in French so I remarked that his English was very good and asked if his French was as good as his English. " Oh no, my French is far better than my English," he said, " because when I make a mistake, my French friends always correct me, whereas my English friends are always far too polite to do so!"

4 Just to retain a tenuous link with the original theme of the thread. Where we live when in France is where the French Special Forces train. Apparently, the preliminary Commando training course forms part of the selection process for aspirant officers in the French Army. Women soldiers are required to carry the same kit and undergo the same activities as the men: no allowance is made for gender or size. I have often witnessed awesome feats of endurance both on the amphibious and mountain sections of the course and it is not the biggest who are the best!

Reactions: Erbswurst and Broch

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
???

That's this Asterix and Obelix language which disturbs a bit the general communication in northwestern France, because it's mixed in everywhere.

Reactions: Broch

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
For some reason recently I've had a couple of fitness videos pop up in my youtube feed. A couple of women trying the US Army physical fitness test = 2 mins of situps, 2 mins of pushups then a 2 mile run. Depending on age and sex there are different requirements [I didn't know this until now - mind you I didn't know what the test consisted of until now either]

I saw the ladies doing the test, in one case she failed in another she passed. The were roughly the same age as each other, for bare minimum they needed 42 situps [in 2 mins] and 15 pushups then a 2 mile run in just over 21 mins.

Easy I thought. Looking into the male requirements for the same age range I would need to do = 42 situps, 36 pushups and 2 mile run in just over 18 mins. A slight difference there then. I could do the situps easy enough, I'd probably have trouble doing 36 pushups in one go, and the run might do me in but then I have an office job and not a fitness youtube channel.

Although apparently the US are bringing in a new physical test being gender and age neutral...

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Which means

Which means lowering the requirements.

Yes, I was wondering which way it would go. Expecting some to do more, or others to do less? - maybe it'll be a mix of both...

It may also be a more 'per job' basis if you do a more demanding specailased role then you have to be more competent?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
View attachment 53567

Santaman, when you start trying to argue that an Olympic decathlon champion is not an “athlete” it is probably time to put the keyboard away and ask the nurse for your medication before the small handful of people on here who take things you say seriously start having doubts! :)
If it doesn’t involve contact (i.e. tacking, punching, blocking, kicking, armbars, etc. it isn’t real athletics) A “sport” yes.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......It may also be a more 'per job' basis if you do a more demanding specailased role then you have to be more competent?
That’s already true. The direct combat roles and special forces type assignments have, and have always had higher physical standards.

That said, now that they’ve begun allowing women in those roles the standards there will be lowered as well. There’s already been political complaints that not enough women are successful in the training and selection.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Is the current UK Army backpack system enough adjustable for a small ( but tough and strong) woman?

That would solve some problems for the lady Erbswurst is asking on behalf.
A well fitting, correctly sized backpack is crucial and makes a load feel lighter.

(I almost expecting to be told that I am Sexist 'as women are of the same length as men'. Then be shown a picture of a Burmese woman.... :) Preferably carrying her 6 toddlers and a 100 kilo rice bag on her head.... )

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If I look up similar constructed military rucksacks, they usually weight round about 3,5 kg empty.
That's half the weight of my complete summer trekking equipment.
( without food and water)

I think Berghaus Munro and both Essl Kaderrucksacks are a good idea, if we don't surch for civil products.

What's about Snugpak rucksacks for example? Are they relatively light?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE