How many different types of firestarter do we carry/use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
standard fire steel and striker with either lint from my dryer, birch bark or for backup some of those greenheat fuel gel sachets.
those things go up with just one spark and you can smear it over a fair amount of stuff to get it going.

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
standard fire steel and striker with either lint from my dryer, birch bark or for backup some of those greenheat fuel gel sachets.
those things go up with just one spark and you can smear it over a fair amount of stuff to get it going.

fuel gel sachets. good tip . bud...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I might get laughed at for this, but does anyone ever make their own fatwood to carry. I've got a small tub with kindling that i have soaked in wd40. lights a treat.

I pull up and split the odd piece of pine stump now and then.

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
I might get laughed at for this, but does anyone ever make their own fatwood to carry. I've got a small tub with kindling that i have soaked in wd40. lights a treat.

another good trip, i went a walk today and what a job i had trying to get a fire in ma honey stove everything was damp and wet ..

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Zippo,gas lighters,tindercard,inner tube,nail polish remover pads,hexi tabs,greenheat gel,w/proof matches,those bbq matches,maya dust,handwarmer rods,firesteel rod,cotton wool with vaseline,meths.

Think that's all,anyway a combi of above usually about my person or pack.

Once you've done the primitive stuff,it's usually back to ease of use with what you've got isn't it?

Maybe i'm just lazy...

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Flint and steel with a pouch of fluffy seed material, for me. Dry grasses gathered as out on walks for the main tinder ball.

Theres matches in the stove kit for the trangia.

Bow drill now and then for practice, with the same tinders as above.

Guess if i was out for many days in wet weather, I have a fire steel on me and feather sticks, but for one or two fires over a weekend then I like the old methods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE