How do people go about pricing things they make and sell, leather wise?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mostly I work out prices by combining the following criteria

Price of materials
Hours worked on the item
How much fun (or not) the project was
How much I like the person it is going to

but something tells me that I will never get rich....

If you only pay attention to the first two criteria then you may get a more commercial valuation - but folk will think you expensive even if you only value your time at "minimum wage" rates!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very, very, few craftsfolks make a living from their work :sigh:

We live in an industrialised world and our bit of it is wealthy compared to other areas where labour is a fraction of the cost.

Either make bespoke, make for the challenge and the fun of it, make for charity or accept that you're not going to make much from it for the effort that goes into the work :(

To get an idea of what people will consider reasonable have a look at similar items on the net. It's also worth while talking with other craftsfolks and getting some kind of ballpark figure for things.

It's not fair, we know that, but it's the way of the world I'm afraid.
How the hang someone can pay hundreds for a pair of mass produced jimmychoos that cripple feet yet most wouldn't pay to have a pair of hand made to measure boots for less than half the price, is one of life's mysteries :rolleyes:

Best of luck with it :)

atb,
M

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
production cost, plus hourly rate you want to pay yourself(realistically), plus any profit you want to make ( 10% or 20% for example), plus any postage and packing = price

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Piking up on the points above, you need to consider your motivation. Some here are making for commercial reasons (it may not be a full time living but its an "income supplement" - the money is key to the transaction). Some have a hobby they love and being a "maker" defrays the costs of materials of their hobby and allows them to buy extra tools and consumables. In my case we produce things for ourselves but sometimes end up with a surplus. That surplus we give away for the costs of p&p usually - occasionally a bit extra to cover our constant need for plant pots and the like.

Whether you are an "amateur" covering costs or a "professional" does not define the quality of your work - many "amateurs" spend huge amounts of time on a piece that a professional could not afford to and are hugely skilled. It may though help define the reason for selling and therefore your pricing approach

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
With my knifemaking I started with double the materials costs. Unfortunately, with leatherwork, it's mostly about time rather than materials. I would probably look at how much a mass produced item was and then add 40% for its bespoke/handmade nature. If the piece calls for more work than basic cutting out and stitching I usually add £5-10 for every additional dye colour and £10-£20 for how ornate the tooling was.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I factor in time, cost of materials and desire to make the item. It's more of a hobby though - I could never feed my family from it. I tend to use it to buy more materials and more tools to keep the hobby going.

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
I factor in time, cost of materials and desire to make the item. It's more of a hobby though - I could never feed my family from it. I tend to use it to buy more materials and more tools to keep the hobby going.

+ 1 on that. If I sell something I'll spend it on more materials for the next one

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I often find that people have no idea how much time, effort and skill goes in to making stuff. They also have no idea of the cost of materials. I used to have a sideline in Welsh Dressers until I found people wanted to pay me MFI prices for bespoke furniture - it just wasn't viable any more. Can't blame them really as we are inundated with mass produced goods. Also, a lot of "craft" goods have dubious origins these days. Just look on Etsy at the amount of supposedly home made stuff coming out of sweatshops in China and the sub continent.

i find that commissions are easier to price than, say, making something on spec, as you can have a grown up conversation about materials and time. Craft markets are the worst as people expect a "bargain".

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Take a good look around at other making the same thing as you are. Then consider their price against what you want to charge. Then get very depressed and not bother.
I play with leather work but I would not consider selling as a maker as my stuff is not upto scratch with others on here so the only option economically would be to sell and inferior product at a cheaper price. And this is whats wrong with the world :rolleyes:

I have folk ask for a bow to be made to order all the time but as soon as they find out the price they make excuses and run. Even though I am no where near at minimum wage and not covering the cost or preparations of materials, time invested in faulty materials, sourcing materials in the first place, finishing tools and products, string, leather, it goes on.

I honestly have no idea how some of the makers on here do this full time and earn a wage that can support a family in this day and age. Hats off to you folk.

I now dont advertise anywhere and just make the bows I want to and sell the ones I have more than on off or do the odd commission usually at a loss, BUT i enjoy making bows so a few quid here and there is simply a bi-product and usually just buys something nice for the missus or boy.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Interesting thread here that slipped past me. From my recent thread, it seems calculating at minimum wage and adding material costs doesn't always work, but it depends on the items and who is buying them.
I can make a good hourly rate making custom leather products for motorcycles, but I don't seem to get the same return on bush crafty stuff and sometimes it isn't even worth while making an item.

Sheaths are a great example. I've just finished making a custom sheath for a knife for a friend of a friend, which when I add it up in hours really wasn't worth my while. it takes time to properly fit and finish a custom sheath, but when people can buy a chinese made knife with a sheath made in a sweat shop for less than it costs you just to make the sheath, it gets difficult to make any money at all.

It's a shame that we have become so used to mass produced, imported items that are built on the exploitation of others, but that's the sad reality. In the last few years I have tried as much as possible to only buy items that are responsibly sourced, but it is difficult for that very reason.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Interesting thread here that slipped past me. From my recent thread, it seems calculating at minimum wage and adding material costs doesn't always work, but it depends on the items and who is buying them.
I can make a good hourly rate making custom leather products for motorcycles, but I don't seem to get the same return on bush crafty stuff and sometimes it isn't even worth while making an item.

Sheaths are a great example. I've just finished making a custom sheath for a knife for a friend of a friend, which when I add it up in hours really wasn't worth my while. it takes time to properly fit and finish a custom sheath, but when people can buy a chinese made knife with a sheath made in a sweat shop for less than it costs you just to make the sheath, it gets difficult to make any money at all.

It's a shame that we have become so used to mass produced, imported items that are built on the exploitation of others, but that's the sad reality. In the last few years I have tried as much as possible to only buy items that are responsibly sourced, but it is difficult for that very reason.

Couldn't agree more. I think a great many craft workers on here do it for the enjoyment of the process and for a bit of extra cash rather than to make a living wage. Consumer attitudes play a part here as well. A bespoke item from a "proper" craftsman will last a lifetime but we live in an age where there is a throwaway mentality. As a result it is impossible to compete with the sweatshops and mass production lines.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
I agree with all the above.
I think there is another point to take into consideration. Some people who make craft items produce one of a kind products, totally unique items. Or they have a level of skill in their making that is unique. Maybe they can make something others can’t make, or make it in a way that others are not able to. These are the few percent that are at the top of their game.
When this uniqueness is appreciated they can charge a higher rate. Their work can become sought after and they may have a waiting list, but customers will always wait as they won’t find anyone else to make said item the same.
This would be a nice position for a craft maker to be in. How one gets there, now that’s another question for another thread.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have folk ask for a bow to be made to order all the time but as soon as they find out the price they make excuses and run. Even though I am no where near at minimum wage and not covering the cost or preparations of materials, time invested in faulty materials, sourcing materials in the first place, finishing tools and products, string, leather, it goes on.

That's cos your bows are just so damn desirable - people want to own them, make inquiries, try and justify a purchase and then realise they can't afford it and all the other accouterments so go off and buy a commercial model then regret the decision later....

Well in my case anyway.

:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE