how do I know if the knife. is good.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Mora have another good advantage the plastic handle is easier to clean after food prep than a wood version My choice is pretty much the same specs as John Fenna but with a different handle.

Its all down to buy try and re sell if not happy till you find the one you like. Currently I am using the Mora robust High Q and the Svord 5" knife

Yeah I think ill get a small selection of moras, couple of blade shapes to mess around with.
Im pretty sure Theyre not what I need though, but at least ill figure out what the steel copes with.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
This is the best laugh I have had in ages!
What planet do you live on ? It must be great there!

And whats so funny? Maybe your over accomplished self can enlighten me.. maybe something im doing wrong is something you can correct me on, and possibly save my life at some point.
But instead you get all computer gamer troller on my thread like several other self proclaimed professional spoon makers?...

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Do you mind if we ask how old you are and what previous experience you have in this outdoor pursuit that your undertaking. This has been a hobby that i have practiced since i was 14/15 years old. Im now 40 and still asking questions. But what your suggesting that you want to do is a huge thing and even the more accomplished members here would find it a huge undertaking.

I know you dont want to give away a route but by answering some of the questions put to you might help people answer and help you more.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Do you mind if we ask how old you are and what previous experience you have in this outdoor pursuit that your undertaking. This has been a hobby that i have practiced since i was 14/15 years old. Im now 40 and still asking questions. But what your suggesting that you want to do is a huge thing and even the more accomplished members here would find it a huge undertaking.

I know you dont want to give away a route but by answering some of the questions put to you might help people answer and help you more.

My mortality doesnt matter, being able to put together the best kit possible to help me survive the trip, is what im trying to do.
I doubt illl get such help, im relying on my own ability to think of situations and what I might need, all I need from you lot is your from experience of such and such is good to have handy and particularly good producers of products that arent just show boats and are actually going to last me without back up, such as a pack and a tent etc.
If I dont make it, I dont make it, I wont cry myself to sleep over a shortened trip, the next will only be longer lol.
Im not wanting to be babied, I seek advise and help. Little hard when people are belittleling my efforts..

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I don't want to offend you just some of your comment's have been a bit to odd to me.
I have to agree that you are looking at taking to many cutting tools on your trip, personally if I were you starting from scratch with the knife buying I Would consider a muilty tool, stainless Mora for salt water fish prep (you can use this knife for more than just filleting whereas a filleting knife isn't much good at anything else), a carbon Mora for woodwork and general chores, light weight folding saw and you have an axe already. I know everyone goes on about moras but they are good and very light ( 3 moras probably weigh the same as a 4mm thick Bushcraft knife.
Sharpening is all practice ,cheap diamond stones from discount stores are ok but don't last like quality ones and they are a bit rough , personally the wet and dry DIY kits are great but you may need a few pre taped sections of wetndry as spares, when the fishing knife gets blunt just put a rough edge on it and th wood cutting knife keep it stropped as long as you don't do any silly cuts with it on materials that are to hard the edge should last a long time ( Mora carving knives are small and light may be worth taking one of them for whittling in the evenings ). Don't carry a concealed knife for protection , use a walking staff, lots of uses including a club for self defence.
Hope this helps a bit. Any thing I can help with just ask, I wish I could get out for 80 days! Can't wait for my 8 days in Sweden.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE