How did you choose your bushcraft name

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
'sandbender' is defined on a few online dictionaries as being "a person involved with silicon lithography and the physical design of integrated circuits".

In William Gibson's novel 'Idoru' 'The Sandbenders' are described as being a eco-colony based in Oregon, they make one-of-a-kind electronic devices, using micarta, coral, bone etc. The name is derived from their use of sand molds to melt down and recycle aluminum cans.

Neither of these definitions describes what I do, I just liked the word and used it on a few different forums when I first started to investigate them many many years ago. :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I had a pack of copper head brand bb's next to my pc when I signed up to the site. Although it does cause some confusion when I go to meets and people think I should be ginger.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Simple I am old and (1) No matter where I stand or sit beside a camp-fire the smoke always blows in my direction.
(2) I have smoked since I was about 11 years old , and only stopped my pipe smoking when about 71, so my lungs are now knackered a bit, but I did stop, before this was diagnosed. I do not actually have lung cancer as far as I know, just COPD
which is not curable, but is being kept at bay, with medication. I just get out of breath with less exertion than before.
I really enjoyed smoking, first ,cigarettes then a pipe with strong tobacco.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Rather boringly, it's my surname. There's a link to the avatar, though: my first name is Richard, so, truncated and combined with the first letter of the surname (which the vast majority of people mispronounce...), you sort of end up with 'Rich Tea', hence the biscuit.

Personally, I hate those biscuits. They have to be among the most disappointing things in the biscuit aisle. But that's another story...

Jul 26, 2014
pensacola Fl
I wasnt named when I was born. So I was everybody's little buddy, buddy stuck as a nickname for years, at 16 I shortened it to budd cause I didnt like ending in a "why". Was finally named robert at 3 months. As for the 3x, old shirt size, reminds me to never be that size again.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
'Bilmo' is a portmanteau of my two dogs' names, 'Bill' & 'Molly'.

'p5' is a reminder of a certain car whose reg. no. was my original password.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally, I hate those biscuits. They have to be among the most disappointing things in the biscuit aisle. But that's another story...

It must be hard to go through life with a self image that is "Less worthy than a hobnob" :)

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Over the years I have various nicknames, but I picked my Bushcraft name from my friend called Fraser who is Australian and he actually gave me the name 'Backpacker' about six years ago and the name has stuck ever since!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I was a dog handler for a few years(now retired)so most my online call signs are dog related, woof here, dogman on BB.

Rob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Some friends were watching a Bill Hicks concert (my favourite comedian) on VHS many moons ago and when he came to the Goatboy sketch they all turned round and pointed at me! Seemingly I was like him at the time; I strongly disagree and think it's my forest spirit / wood faun like qualities and the fact I liked to think I climbed like a goat at the time. It then became part of my first email address and so first foray into the internet. Used it ever since.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE