How did you choose your bushcraft name

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
I don't really have a 'bushcraft' name, but I do often get called the Gruffalo on account of being scared by every tiny noise whilst being rather large and scary myself.

However, I got my online pseudonym from Star Wars.

I remember many moons ago when Star Wars was new and I was out camping in the Gower with family, and we had a small fire and a battery radio. The radio hosts were talking about how to work out your Star Wars 'name' and it kinda stuck.

It went as follows:

You get the first part by taking the first 3 letters of your forename to the first 2 letters of your second name. You get the second part from the first 2 letters of your Mother's maiden name and adding them to the first 3 letters of the town you were born in.

This makes me Darwa Bicam, Jedi Knight (obviously).

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
My alias is derived from my initials and the word "Oaken", as at the time Oak was my favourite tree and another alias of mine was "Oakenwise". Some people mistake it for "Thoaken" pronounced "Foaken". It's not a great name and I'd love to change it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Back in the year 2000 I was creating an e-mail account. At the same time, I was pretty one of the few immediate family members with a job so I naturally was the one everybody came too when they needed money or something material. Hence I felt like "santaman in the year 2000." The name has carried over to several other on-line activities.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well my user name is my favourite colour, my favourite sport at one time and my favourite animal.

Not likely to see many people with that user name.

Although my nick name is Orric (real name is Michael) which I picked up in scouts due to people thinking I looked like a viking with my beard and long hair.

Prefer being called Orric.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I don't really have a 'bushcraft' name, but I do often get called the Gruffalo on account of being scared by every tiny noise whilst being rather large and scary myself.

However, I got my online pseudonym from Star Wars.

I remember many moons ago when Star Wars was new and I was out camping in the Gower with family, and we had a small fire and a battery radio. The radio hosts were talking about how to work out your Star Wars 'name' and it kinda stuck.

It went as follows:

You get the first part by taking the first 3 letters of your forename to the first 2 letters of your second name. You get the second part from the first 2 letters of your Mother's maiden name and adding them to the first 3 letters of the town you were born in.

This makes me Darwa Bicam, Jedi Knight (obviously).

That's very interesting! I have taken the letters from my name and from my Mothers Maiden name and came up with 'DAVFO BACAR' unfortunatley not a 'JEDI KNIGHT' :lmao:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have used mine for around 10 years. My name is John and Presterjohn was the famous Ethiopian king that it turns out never existed. For a reason that I have now forgotten I always do the p lowercase. I use this nickname for almost all the sites I go on. I only have one other and I only adopted that when I realised how visible you are if you google your online name, so anything remotely rude or odd that I might choose to go on gets the alternative nickname. For a long time I always used to use an avatar of Patsy from the Monty Python holy grail film too but that has mostly gone by the wayside to in the last couple of years.

udamiano

On a new journey
mines been around on networks for about 3 decades, it was the original account designation from my first mainframe account udamiano = user Damian followed by the first letter of my surname, back when computers weighed more than cars and you could have any colour screen you wanted as long as it was black and green, oh and 1meg of memory was about £500 and needed a sack truck to more lol

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Mine was one of my first AD&D characters, a halfling thief. (Star Wars names - I am very jealous of Mrs Bob hers is Callan Mermu, mine just doesn't work""

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE