How did you choose your bushcraft name

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
A question, my name I have used for many years, yet as you meet up, new names evolve, something you have done or maybe something you have said!

Mine would be if I changed it, "Smoke magnet", as no matter where I sit around the fire the smoke will follow me, what would yours be and why?:Thinkingo:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
My internet pseudonym has been the same regardless of what website i am on, it comes from back when i ran a rave review website that was called the Geordie Gabba Traveller and it's sub branch of GGT Tv (I am a Geordie and I travelled for my Gabba it seemed appropriate) add my surname shortened GGT + Bod hey presto, nowt to do with bushcrafting ;) google GGTBod or GGT Tv and you'll probably see some crazy old stuff as although i removed all my stuff from most areas online it has a life of it's own, no point changing it as i'd have to remember new stuff and it is bad enough having to regularly change passwords never mind my username too

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I get called spiderman all the time, but I discovered a new species of harvestman (Opiliones) to the UK, so became Harvestman by default. It stops me being confused with some American in a lycra bodysuit.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Cranmere Pool is a very wet an inaccessible place in the middle of Dartmoor. I did my degree dissertation on upland peat bogs so I used Cranmere when I first got an email address back in - oh heck, 1989 - and I've used it online ever since.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've been called Swotty for thirty years after there was a character once in Viz called Swotty with my surname :)

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Mine goes back to my rugby playing days in the front row.

The 3 regulars in the 1st team were of the same 'build' i was the loosehead prop (No.1) hooker and tighthead were Silverback(s) 2 and 3 respectively, it has never gone away.

stonehippo

Forager
May 15, 2011
Birmingham
I used to climb when I was younger. A good climber is called a stone monkey. After watching me clamber onto a ledge with no style whatsoever I was christened a stone hippo.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
my parent's gave me mine. I've had it all my life and never felt the need to change it ;) When I first started joining forums on t'interweb, I was doing academic research and only real names were allowed (you don't get fa in academia if everybody knows you as monkeyspunk57!).

As for other names for use in the woods, mostly I get called a variety of expletives having just had a sip of forge water :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My usual names were all taken here already, so I simply used the earliest nickname I had. Normally my bother uses it, and if folks phone the house and ask for Toddy, they'll be told, "He's no' here." :D

M

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
Mine is a nickname used by some of my cadet friends, and was the only thing i could think of when joining the forum.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I joined the forum to find out about, and get to, the BushMoot. I noticed that a lot of names were animal names which I liked. Having found all the butch animal names I could think of were taken I went in the other direction.

The one downside of it is that I am under threat of death if anyone uses the forum standard of addressing SWMBLT as

Mrs. MyForumName.

Hence her standard title in my posts is Ms. Swift.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I joined the forum to find out about, and get to, the BushMoot. I noticed that a lot of names were animal names which I liked. Having found all the butch animal names I could think of were taken I went in the other direction.

The one downside of it is that I am under threat of death if anyone uses the forum standard of addressing SWMBLT as

Mrs. MyForumName.

Hence her standard title in my posts is Ms. Swift.

Ms. Swift sounds like a lady who knows how to make her point :)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Mine is mostly the same on many a forum, it comes form my time living / working in South Africa, I worked a lot in Bophuthatswana and in conversation people asked where the guy form Bop was, hence Bopdude.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE