How big's your basha?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How big's your basha? - ish

• 1.5 x 2.5

Votes: 32 9.9%
  • 2.5 x 2.5

Votes: 26 8.1%
  • 3 x 3

Votes: 179 55.6%
  • 3 x 4

Votes: 36 11.2%
  • 4 x 4

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • other

Votes: 36 11.2%

• Total voters

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I have a 3x3 Tatonka. Sometimes I feel I could do with one a tad longer, especially when its raining. I know I could pitch it diagonal but then you tend to lose some of the side area.
I am working on it.
Tyfy, the polyester ones defo do not like heat. I was fixing paracord loops to mine to suspend from ridgeline. I melted ends of paracord and a small drop of molten nylon dropped onto tarp. You guessed it a small hole. luckily it is near the edge,

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
I am looking at getting a tarp for my birthday later this month and have settled on a 3mx3m one but I am unsure which one.

I have looked at the Tatonka Tarp 2 but not sure if the Polyester or TC version is a better choice.

The Polyester seems a better choice for the reduced weight (0.90kg) but it could be near a fire at some point so I don't know it the TC (1.35kg) is better with the risk if embers flying about.

I held the DD tarp 2 at the weekend but at 1.9kg it felt too heavy to be something I would carry regularly.

My last option was the Elite Evolution Basha at 1.28kg so I am a bit torn about the best option.

I will add that this is my first tarp and I chose the 3mx3m to go with a hammock I got in the group buy last year so I wanted something I could pitch along the diagonal as well as all the other options. It might also be a wise choice to get one that won't mind some rough handling in the hands of a relative newbie.

Does anyone have a recommendation or any comments to help me decide?

Richard

These are excellent
http://home.freeuk.net/kathmandu/
I have an 3mts. x 1.8 mts. Weight; 450g one and have just ordered a 3m x 3m. They are really nice (no connection, etc).

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
It might also be a wise choice to get one that won't mind some rough handling in the hands of a relative newbie.

I would buy a used issue tarp as a starting point. You can pick them up dirt cheap and so is the ideal tarp to make mistakes with.

I have used one for many years, and still do when alone.

Once you have realised what it is you really want, save up and buy it, but I think you will be surprised by the issue tarp and end up keeping it.

Just my humble thoughts.

Simon

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I say what is the biggest size the British issue tarp is available in and the best price new???

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I say what is the biggest size the British issue tarp is available in and the best price new???

ex Army shelter sheet, around 2.5m x 2.25 m, in size

Price wise SASS Lancaster do them ...
Latest Genuine Issue Pattern.Made from exceptionally lighweight and waterproof DPM Silicone Elastomer with Silicone Sealed Seams. Big size at approximately 2metres 50 centimetres by 2metres 25 centimetres.No less than "Fourteen" heavy duty eyelets.Ten attatchment loops.Robust handles, four in the centre, and four alongst each side for easier handling and improvising other uses for the Basha, as well as enabling a variety of types of shelter to be made.Yet weighs only 1 kilo! Limited number available.

Prices:

Normally retail for around £65.00. Special Offer Price......... £45.00

Personally I would shop about on Ebay tho... currently a desert DPM tarp £24.99 + 7.50 P&P new or various used ones from £10 upwards. Just search for "Army basha".

HTH

Simon

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
I am a rather large individual and have found most of the smaller tarps below do not offer the weather protection I want (ok I may be a bit of a wus?)

I am not overly experienced in sleeping under tarps so maybe its something I am doing wrong ?

I am interested what tarp configurations anyone who is larger than average use, or if average size people have the same problem I have had?

do any of you use tarps that are any other shape than either square or oblong? do these help

I have seen some with added bits like beaks and seen some triangle shaped ones but all seem to be in the US don't know if this is a gimmick or of use

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Just picked up a tarp on ebay 2.7 x 3m for £11.50 inc p&p.

Its as light as my army issue though as its twice the size it wont fold down as small.

It is not the same high grade nylon, but as I am not spending weeks on end, have a mobile phone and can retreat to the saftey of the pub at need, its just the job.

www.QVSshop.co.uk

Sandsnakes

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
3.5m x 4.5m in canvas. I hsd it made by Spike. His work is the best you will find. :)

Tarp1.jpg

I have a Tatonka SOTP 3m x 3m group buy tarp in nylon (tbh-disspointed by the quality for the price)
a 3m x 3m USMCPRO silnylon ripstop cammo tarp (The very best in my opinion and only £30)
And an Army standard cammo basha-fantastic but a little too small for hammocking.

I've seen HUGE cammo MOD basha's big enough to cover SB ribs, no idea if these are special procurement or on gen issue. These were at least 5m x 5m. I've never ever seen these in civi contexts.

I'd love a 4m x 3m tarp though in cammo...:rolleyes:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
2.5 X 2.5m Kathmandu. It's big enough to sleep under comfortably without risking rain getting in yet is easily light enough to carry. Two could use it if the kit was outside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE