How bad are the floods at your location?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Interesting article in the guardian about the flooding,

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/29/deluge-farmers-flood-grouse-moor-drain-land

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Don't mention the Monboit! :rolleyes:

6.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Lets hope it never happens again. But if it dose I hope its many many years down the line

I can only hope your optimism will turn out to be justified, but I fear not; it seems to me that we're going to get more and more of it and it really doesn't matter why to the people affected by the floods, although it obviously does in the broad scheme of things.

In actual fact, we are getting more and more of it but because it seems to have come relatively slowly, and not to the S.E. of England, we've become almost inured to it.

I'll stop there or else it'll get political, how could it not?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Favoured by nature here, pretty much on the watershed on the 80 metre contour. The nearest river is on the 75 metre contour and not much more than a stream. If it does flood, and it sometimes does, it will only be my allotment and the odd house which is a little bit too close on the opposite side that will be affected.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow! - the old, tried and tested, proven, historical, cheap and natural methods of flood protection work!
Who would have thought it!

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Just returned from an expedition to buy the first set of groceries for the family since before Christmas, had to travel 3 towns away as flooding has shut down the 2 nearest. Braemar is cut off from all access to the east and north as the road no longer exists at Crathie and the Invercauld bridge is severely damaged, Abergeldie Castle may be about to fall into the Dee after floods tore away a lot of land, Ballater has been under water, as have large parts of Aboyne, and the Don is currently flooding to the north as well.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Just returned from an expedition to buy the first set of groceries for the family since before Christmas, had to travel 3 towns away as flooding has shut down the 2 nearest. Braemar is cut off from all access to the east and north as the road no longer exists at Crathie and the Invercauld bridge is severely damaged, Abergeldie Castle may be about to fall into the Dee after floods tore away a lot of land, Ballater has been under water, as have large parts of Aboyne, and the Don is currently flooding to the north as well.

Thats not normal is it for the east coast?

The thing that really amazes me is that they put electric by the river, amd the pumps at a low level. The way things are arranged they must have been designed by monkeys. Tewsbury and places along the severn are known for flooding, pubs by the river have a yearly high water mark in the bar, but some genius decides to build a sub station on the same level. Same in carslyle. Pumps and the like are ok but they are not exactly failsafe. Monkeys.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Not normal, no! I've only been around here 48 years but have never seen the like. We're well used to the Dee being in high winter spate but this is ridiculous. Bridges that have stood for over a hundred years have been swamped, damaged or destroyed.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland

Your account really brings it home, I truly hope you and yours stay safe.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
what really is sickening to me is when the floods first hit in the U.K. Nicola Sturgeon donated £10 mln to African flood victims
and said or done nothing for us then her countrymen also got badly hit, and yet Nothing from SNP.....
We are such a stupid nation ,look after your own first, then everyone else.
There i feel better now....

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
There are some pretty scary photos on here. I've been lucky I'm right on the coast but the local river hasn't flooded [as far as I'm aware]. Folks to the south of me by 50 or so miles have lost houses and possessions even an old castle [Abergeldie castle] looks close to being washed away. I haven't heard of aid being sent, but the local radio station [Deveron FM] has been collecting stuff for folks moved to emergency accommodation and those who've lost everything. We spent the weekend sorting out clothes no longer needed or the kids don't fit into to pass on, some toys no longer required and a couple of boxes of food. Must be tough loosing pretty much everything, I can see getting compensation out of insurance companies will be a nightmare as well.

I just hope everyone can stay safe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE