How bad are the floods at your location?

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
cheers folks really appreciate the well wishes....were beached at moment...highest ground , but stuck here for maybe a week ....we could try a tricky drive but 4ton of rv sliding down a long bank into river isnt appealing. even with a tractor to steady the path. it is what it is...weve lost a fair bit....but weve health and friends.

bit further up the river ....
61af5a809a4f31ab9c8f41ed0bbee5da.jpg

ee8feb8c240a0d5ee1d173953b9d7f45.jpg

508dcc56958329883e21cfb5787f5d2c.jpg

mirfield way....
37ad1e3cf593a117f5c6e3a670d4e7f4.jpg

62ddeb5f217b8ae1673571df50182875.jpg

97ac550698d605776da1faef9f943086.jpg

my neigbours pick up again....10 mins later....
6cbcc573d91155cd42c2b9efd4022a14.jpg

this afternoon...
fccd4d226d08bc1a6cf75e444cb7c3ae.jpg

were we got to
db5ec9f3f727ce58c70d76b9247acc32.jpg

7af45d50b1f107ee2f8ddb70b491447b.jpg

8b2c461cf15329b92d41fb3ceb5bc91f.jpg

3886c9c98a6e8021a3130ff4d1f3ab05.jpg

reyt...swmbo has gone therapy spending....im off to grogger ....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I feel so lucky to live on top of a hill!
A few days before Xmas the nearest bridge to us - over the Teifi - was invisible!
The water was right over the parapets and - although I have seen the bridge flooded to within inches of the top of the parapets before - this seems the highest flood in living memory...
The floods receded quickly - thank goodness!
I spent Xmas in Lancashire - just outside Blackpool - and we could see the waters rising in the fields next to my Aunt's house ... luckily they receded before proving even a problem, though we did have to move the car from an extending and deep puddle!
We got off lightly!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Seriously, how can we help ?
We're not close enough to come and pack sandbags, and I don't think they'd do much good there now anyway, and we'd offer a dry place to stay, but it's hundreds of miles away......

It's a fair assumption that the NGO relief organizations and shelters will need donations: non-perishable foods, blankets, personal grooming items, etc. And of course money.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Some of the Photos and video that iv seen on the news/Facebook and of course on here now have been stunning and amazing. But also saddening as thousands of people have lost everything. I'm not sure how many lives have been lost so far. Not many I would think. But in the coming months the stress of things will no doubt claim some more. But we will never here of that. The TV camera's will soon move onto anther news story and the people that are left behind will have to slowly sort themselves and their homes out. Jobs and business's will have been lost too. Lets not forget the wildlife and Farm animals that would have also lost their lives.

I don't know if this will be the sort of weather patens we can expect to see more of over the coming years. Time will tell. The Kindness of the local community's seems to be showing. There are of course thousands of people trying to work and doing there best to help the people in need.
I hope any member's on here are keeping warm and safe. I wish you all luck in putting things back together again over the coming months.

I'm lucky where I live. We don't get flooding. But my Mum and dad have a holiday place by the river seven. While there place dose not flood the local area has a long history of flooding. The filed in front of their place dose flood and the farmer loses crops .

Good luck everyone.

Thanks for sharing the photos

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Some of the Photos and video that iv seen on the news/Facebook and of course on here now have been stunning and amazing. But also saddening as thousands of people have lost everything. I'm not sure how many lives have been lost so far. Not many I would think. But in the coming months the stress of things will no doubt claim some more. But we will never here of that. The TV camera's will soon move onto anther news story and the people that are left behind will have to slowly sort themselves and their homes out. Jobs and business's will have been lost too. Lets not forget the wildlife and Farm animals that would have also lost their lives.

Every time it floods, I think about Hull... I was working over that way when the worst of the flooding hit and it received very little press coverage... same goes for the flooding on Snakes Pass and around Chesterfield... but the M1 was on the news pretty much all the time, especially around the Sheffield area. News channels are pretty selective about what they cover during the floods... today York has been getting all the attention due to some visiting 'dignitaries' and probably because they've drafted more armed forces personnel in over that way.

Must be pretty cr@ppy if you're in one of the areas that gets forgotten about or not even mentioned. Not as cr@ppy as being flooded in the first place mind.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
The Calder valley is like Chis's pictures, and worse, all the way back up to Brighouse, Elland, Sowerby Bridge and Hebden Bridge, 20-odd miles away.

We live in Brighouse in the Calder Valley and it is pretty wet!!!!

One of the local Scout halls has flooded...floor destroyed. Their own flood wall held (they are next to the river) but the river broke the banks elsewhere and outflanked them down the road. It will have taken out all the businesses and homes (some are permanent caravans) along the river where it flows through the town centre.

It is the most extensive flooding we have seen in 20 years of living in the valley.

Home is bit above the town centre but we are awaiting the next deluge at the end of the week.

K

Last edited:

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Every time it floods, I think about Hull... I was working over that way when the worst of the flooding hit and it received very little press coverage... same goes for the flooding on Snakes Pass and around Chesterfield... but the M1 was on the news pretty much all the time, especially around the Sheffield area. News channels are pretty selective about what they cover during the floods... today York has been getting all the attention due to some visiting 'dignitaries' and probably because they've drafted more armed forces personnel in over that way.

Must be pretty cr@ppy if you're in one of the areas that gets forgotten about or not even mentioned. Not as cr@ppy as being flooded in the first place mind.

Yeah it must be yet another kick in the teeth to be forgotten about. I bet there are lot of little towns and villages that are yet to receive any help and no media covering it.

I read something early this morning about some flood gates being opened or left open in York. The story had little info then. If people have suffered because of that then they are going to want to know why.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Yeah it must be yet another kick in the teeth to be forgotten about. I bet there are lot of little towns and villages that are yet to receive any help and no media covering it.

I read something early this morning about some flood gates being opened or left open in York. The story had little info then. If people have suffered because of that then they are going to want to know why.

I think the excuse was that the building that houses the opening mechanism was flooding and the people in charge at the time didn't want the barrier stuck in the closed position, so they opened it... flooding nearly 500 homes in the process.

Fine, they didn't want the barrier permanently shut, but sort it out when the floods have subsided... not during the flood!!

Problem is, thats just the type of excuse that insurance companies look for to avoid paying out... hopefully that won't be the case... but if it is, I hope the 'officials' in charge get ready to compensate the people effected. Be interesting to see how many cameras stay behind for the aftermath... and particularly whether people are properly compensated for what has to be the daftest decision of the year!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Subsided here in Carlisle, daughter has been displaced (to our higher ground house) by the flooding and her rented house got to just below kitchen worktop height.

Ripping out houses tomorrow and expect to be doing a lot of that this year.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm in York. They had to.open that barrier, the pumps lost power. If they hadn't opened it, the water would have been several feet higher in some areas, flooding hundreds more properties.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm in York. They had to.open that barrier, the pumps lost power. If they hadn't opened it, the water would have been several feet higher in some areas, flooding hundreds more properties.

I was going from this...

Environment Agency said:
A Severe Flood Warning has been issued for the River Foss due to extremely high river levels.

These high levels caused water to enter the Foss Barrier building. The pumps within the building are in danger of failing. The decision has been taken to lift the Foss Barrier gate, as if it fails in the down position water would be unable to discharge into the River Ouse. The Foss Barrier gate is now open.

The immediate area at risk is the city centre and areas of Huntington, Tang Hall, Osbaldwick and Foss Islands. People in these areas should start to move valuables to upper floors and be prepared to be evacuated.

Sounds a bit daft if the pumps were in a area that could be flooded and make them in danger of failing... should imagine the question will be more about what was/should have been the back up plan once the water has subsided.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
In theory they were in an area that shouldn't flood, if they kept up with pumping the water from the Foss. In 2012 they overheated and were supposed to be upgraded. However I believe funding was limited and that didn't happen (but I'm not certain). This, if true, was bloody stupid.

Today there was a major effort to fit bigger pumps, moving them into place via Chinook helicopter. Imagine the cost of that operation . . .

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
In theory they were in an area that shouldn't flood, if they kept up with pumping the water from the Foss. In 2012 they overheated and were supposed to be upgraded. However I believe funding was limited and that didn't happen (but I'm not certain). This, if true, was bloody stupid.

Today there was a major effort to fit bigger pumps, moving them into place via Chinook helicopter. Imagine the cost of that operation . . .

Lack of money... that old chestnut. Might be worth noting Charly that The Press recently reported on a pay rise for the 'elite' in York...

The Press said:
The total bill for councillors would rise from £546,000 a year to £630,000 a year, and the rise could be introduced from January 1.

Maybe the money for the pumps went into a 20% top up to the councillors... my personal favourite is Chris Steward who has been widely reported as chastising people for using food banks! What a guy!

Mods - apologies if you think this is drifting into politics, its not meant to... its highlighting the hypocrisy of not paying for adequate flood defences whilst taking massive pay rises. At least thats my story... and I'll stick to it as long as you agree with it :D

As you say though, look at the cost now... they're talking about millions and millions to fix the damage caused by the 'failure of the barrier' when its nothing of the sort by the sounds of things... its a failure to spend money in the right place at the right time.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The pumps are funded from environment agency, so I'm not sure this is one that can be blamed on the council. Many businesses flooded that shouldn't have been, including a friend's that has only been open 6months.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The pumps are funded from environment agency, so I'm not sure this is one that can be blamed on the council. Many businesses flooded that shouldn't have been, including a friend's that has only been open 6months.

Money all comes from the same place at the end of the day... irrelevant who has what and where... if there isn't enough money in the pot to fund new water pumps, there isn't enough for pay rises either. Thats my opinion anyway... and if the idiots were decent, anywhere near decent, if offered a pay rise, they'd refuse on grounds of honesty and integrity.

With your mate effected... crowd funding can help out if needed. Whack up a crowd funder... I'll give money to help if its an independent and needs the support. Thankfully we have crowd funding... true way for people to club together and help each other out when stuff like this happens.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Money all comes from the same place at the end of the day... irrelevant who has what and where... if there isn't enough money in the pot to fund new water pumps, there isn't enough for pay rises either. Thats my opinion anyway... and if the idiots were decent, anywhere near decent, if offered a pay rise, they'd refuse on grounds of honesty and integrity.

With your mate effected... crowd funding can help out if needed. Whack up a crowd funder... I'll give money to help if its an independent and needs the support. Thankfully we have crowd funding... true way for people to club together and help each other out when stuff like this happens.

or we could divert all the payments into the EU and to overseas aid and make sure the horse that feeds them is sorted before we cough up any more money that we dont have ?? ,charity starts at home !!!!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Bad round my way, hence my lack of posting- along with being really busy in general. We had 6-8 inches come through the kitchen but it's only rainwater. We're 650 feet above sea level and we don't live near any water courses. But when you have 12 inches of rain in a day and a half its got to go somewhere, unfortunately that somewhere was through our kitchen. Hard floors meant not much damaged- a warped back door and the kick boards on the kitchen units are about it. The problem I think can be solved by breaks up a sunken concrete patio outside the back door with was built below ground level so all the water collects there. Getting rid of the concrete and gravelling it should improve drainage a lot but hopefully we won't see rain like that again for a long time. Keswick, Carlisle, Appleby, Maryport, Flinby and Glenridding have all had it really bad- bridges and roads collapsing some people being helped out of bedroom windows in Carlisle because the ground floor was completely underwater - so much you can't see the front door. Been really really bad for some people and we went and volunteered in Appleby and the destruction is like nothing I've ever seen before- hopefully there won't be rain like that again, though I fear it may become increasingly common.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE

As with everything. Do you find the money now or risk it ? Maybe having to find even more money at a later date.
I hope this will remind the powers that be that sometimes its not worth risking it. Do it right and do it once.

If this weather is down to climate change and if we should be expecting more of these sort of storms then the whole flood defence the country over needs upgrading. Including coastal.
These once in one hundred year events are happening quite a lot lately .

Theses more bad weather on the way tonight. I hope that things don't get worse for the people suffering.
Cold weather is also to be expected too over the next few days. Freezing water on wet roads, paths and buildings will course more damage.

I hope things weather wise start to get better soon.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ripped the wooden floor and joists out of a mates house today, looks like we are going to go for block and beam next.

It won't stop the flooding but will be a lot faster to sort out next time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE