How 2 whistle?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

Sounds strange, but I never managed to do the really loud whistle most can do, where 2 fingers are inserted into the lips, and super loud whistle comes out.
How do I do it, all I ever seem to do is blow and look a plonker !??

Likewise, I never managed to make the noise when a piece of grass is used between 2 cupped hands. How do I?

Thanks for any pointers you can give me,

Paul.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
never managed to finger whistle either but I havent spent as long trying as when I learnt to whistle normally - it was an hours walk to my mates house so I spent a whole summer huffing, puffing and spluttering hitler has only got one ball till finally managed areasonable noise :)

the grass thing is easier - you have to grip the stalk between the base of the thumbs and the top of the thumbs using the tops to tension the grass tight, the tighter the higher the pitch. a similar thing can be done with big privet leaves or similar - fold the leaf gripping the base and part way up so the remainder is closed tight and blow down the the open end. again the bigger the leaf or the slacker the hold the lower the pitch :)

hope that makes sense :)

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Great,
Thank you chickenofthewoods for the link to youtube, yea, I'm hyperventilating / light headed, but I will practice!!
Thanks crazydave for the description on the grass whistle also, I nearly got that right, just need a bit more time.

headrox_inc I got a good whistle too, but I don't always have it with me when I need it.
The classic saying 'knowledge weighs nothing' comes to mind also.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I nearly had it!!!

Try not putting your fingers in too far back!

I'm about to faint now though...

This is even worse than trying to play the panpipes! :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Hmmmm having watched that I see I do it in a different way to him.

What I do is as follows:
1) Cirrcle thumb and forefinger in classic ok shape.

2) Open mouth and insert finger and thumb

3) Open finger and thumb slightly and pinch the very tip of my tongue, try and find a position in which your finger and thumb tips are almost slipping off the tip of your tongue then rest the tips of finger and thumb on my lower teeth. This is just to position them in your mouth. The tip of your tongue ought to be more or less level with your teeth

4) Close mouth to make a seal around the outside edges of my finger and thumb leaving just the inside area open for allowing the air to escape. You'll more than likely find your lips push your finger and thumb up off your teeth. Don't worry about that is you only use your teeth as a positioning guide.

5) Blow.

6) If no whistle sounds open and reclose your mouth to make a new seal. You don't have to push too hard against your tongue to do an effective whistle.

7) Try again to see if you can whistle. It's about finding a position of your lips and fingers that let you whistle.

Try it and see if you can do it this way.

Just as a footnote I can whistle loudly the way I've just described but I've always hankered to do an ear splitting whistle by just using my lips the way some shepherds do when working their dogs.

Good luck with my basic tutorial :)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm covered in slobber, out of breath and I've got sore cheeks. I still can't whistle. I already knew that after there was a similar thread over on BB about three weeks ago and I was in a similar state then!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE