Hot weather survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, I'll be OK like last year. The entire west face of my house is covered to the roof with grape vines. Their summer shade value is indescribable. True, I can't see out. I could open the kitchen window and pick grape leaves for dolmades but I can't find the frozen ground lamb!

I bought this house, my retirement home, back in 2000. The next spring, my eccentric brother sent me some grape vines just for a giggle. I can even root the prunings as cuttings and sell those. Can't think of another crop where you can sell the junk.

Fruit and leaves, shade, refuge for birds in storms, Roosting for fledglings, they thrive on neglect. I barter the grapes for onions, carrots and potatoes. When the picker family children were little, I let them climb up the vines on the trellis like Jack And The Beanstalk.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How does it work then when I use the white blinds, or heat reflecting curtain linings to stop the house getting so hot.
Am I just cooking the inside of the double glazing ?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I wouldn’t recommend this unless you like cracked/blown windows! Sorry WG!

It does work, and very effectively as the past few days have proven. I kept the house down to 25° inside, when it was far hotter outside. Most of my windows face east or south.
Why does it only blow house windows? It works on cars.
As with cars, they need to be put on the exterior of the window.
I can't see how that would do any damage, or nobody would use them on their cars.

Reactions: Herman30

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've got pairs of slider windows all across the afternoon/west side of my house. Sure, the west grape vines shade the whole place.

I open one of the outer pairs of sliders about 2" . That allows the heated air between the windows to escape. There's far less heat to be radiated through the inner glass and into the house.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Air is a lousy heat radiator but what happens with double glazing the inner pane gets hot so it conducts and heats by convection the inside.

Selective windows also reflect heat back out in summer like they reflect it back in in winter.

Any reflectors work best if totally on the outside but even if between the panes it still cuts some heat radiation off.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
It does work, and very effectively as the past few days have proven. I kept the house down to 25° inside, when it was far hotter outside. Most of my windows face east or south.
Why does it only blow house windows? It works on cars.
As with cars, they need to be put on the exterior of the window.
I can't see how that would do any damage, or nobody would use them on their cars.

I didn’t say it wouldn’t work. I just said there was potential to damage your windows… The same way your reflector oven works it will reflect heat between the panes. Being double glazing apposed to a cars single, as the gas between the panes expands with the heat it could destroy the seal.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That's precisely why I put them on the outside of the windows, like I said.
Apparently, a mylar blanket works too, again, if put on the outside of the windows.
Though, my bedroom curtains have a silver thermal lining, and work well when drawn to reflect heat out, and keep heat in.
So possibly, a mylar blanket might be a good way to keep heat in,if used inside the windows in the winter. Have yet to try that, but may well do so this winter.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
as the gas between the panes expands with the heat it could destroy the seal.
On the newer double pane units a possibility but not likely on larger area windows as the glass bending easily compensates. In-plane expansion has broken up panes with too tight assembly but again not commonly.

Here one can expect about 65C temp difference, theoretically a bit higher but again not in practice. Mandatory triple glazing for years and 4 panes now quite common (2+2). I haven't seen a broken pane in ages but leaking seals on the (permanently?! :mad:) sealed units, especially older ones, not rare. Though the probable reason is not thermal expansion but sealant ageing and UV deteriorating.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
So possibly, a mylar blanket might be a good way to keep heat in,if used inside the windows in the winter. Have yet to try that, but may well do so this winter.
Metallized Mylar preferably ;). Yes it works, actually quite well. I don't know the percentage but it is quite high here, so called "selective" panes that have a heat reflective coating (invisible), hmmm ... was it tin oxide or indium tin oxide.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
in the heat not that long ago there would of been such a thing as

hosepipe bans
governmental operatives and-such distributing bottled water

where are they in 2022...??

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My Mum once cracked a 2m x 1.5m double glazed window from top to bottom by putting the reflective insulation inside the window instead of outside :(

It never did get repaired - the house sold with a cracked window!

Reactions: FerlasDave

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
from top to bottom by putting the reflective insulation inside the window instead of outside
As said a lot of windows here with heat reflective coating that is inside the two-pack and also inside the outer pane. I don't know with the 2+2 arrangement whether the coating is on the inner or outer pack.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
in the heat not that long ago there would of been such a thing as

hosepipe bans
governmental operatives and-such distributing bottled water

where are they in 2022...??
When I was little we had public 'fountains', drinking spouts, in every village and town. Folks were clean about them. Then 'vandalism' became a youthful sport and nothing was safe from their selfish stupidity. It's a major reason why public toilets are in such short supply now too.

There were hosepipe bans, but most folks used watering cans anyway. We weren't allowed to fill paddling pools though the park pools (again ruined and spoiled for others by the stupidity of vandalism and destruction) were kept topped up in Summer. The ones nearest us are now filled in and are flower beds instead. One across the river has to be regularly emptied and broken glass bottles carefully brushed and water jetted out.

The Lidos, the sunbathing, safe splashing about areas of the riversides are mostly gone too.

Different times. If folks don't have to pay for it they don't value it.

I know, I'm being cynical, but honestly society tolerates this.

M

Reactions: Macaroon and Nice65

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@Toddy
There is actually a public drinking fountain in our city up in one of the public parks (there may be others in other parks), its a bottle filling spot really... Its been there for maybe a year now? Surprisingly its not been wrecked - yet. We also have a lido haha, but it's pay to enter jobby. Public bogs require a but of dosh which is a pain, purely because having exactly 23.5 pence in the form of one coin isn't always practical when you're code browning!

@knowledge=gain
I don't think its been heatwavey for long enough to warrant hosepipe bans...could be wrong but where we are, its hot still, but its been drizzling most of the day. Reservoirs nearby are at 50% I think(?) Can't recall exactly. I think it's 18 degrees today...

This latest hot weather went as quick as it came, we had sub 20's prior to it arriving and now have anywhere between sub 20's to 24ish for the next week or so.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
On the newer double pane units a possibility but not likely on larger area windows as the glass bending easily compensates. In-plane expansion has broken up panes with too tight assembly but again not commonly.

Here one can expect about 65C temp difference, theoretically a bit higher but again not in practice. Mandatory triple glazing for years and 4 panes now quite common (2+2). I haven't seen a broken pane in ages but leaking seals on the (permanently?! :mad:) sealed units, especially older ones, not rare. Though the probable reason is not thermal expansion but sealant ageing and UV deteriorating.

Less likely on newer units actually as they are now a sealed vacuum rather than argon gas, and obviously a vacuum can not store energy ie heat. Thermal expansion is definitely the culprit of most windows blowing I can assure you. :encourage:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
"Less likely on newer units actually as they are now a sealed vacuum rather than argon gas"

We quit argon years ago as it leaked out.

Now I strongly doubt that about vacuum, no std pane can take the pressure load

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE