Hot weather survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Regarding adding foil reflectors to windows, Mylar space blanket works well and allow some light in to see by, but should be on the outside of the window. Inside, it will raise the temperature of the inner layer of a double glazed unit to 55degC or more.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I just get on with it as I love the heat.
Drink lots of water & just enjoy it in the shade.
I’ve taken my windows out of the boat & it’s a nice balmy 32 degrees inside with a pleasant breeze.
However, I think the fish are struggling as there’s hundreds at the surface?(perch, carp & some pike)
Less oxygen in warmer water.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Put the sprinkler on the red hot van roof and sat under the run off from the awning, had a M&S Pina Colada because I was working so hard. Not enough of that 4G stuff to load a pic.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I have three (small) ponds in the garden, and we have newts and toads and frogs.
It's a great excuse not to cut the grass :)
I think gardens need watery bits. I grow reedmace in one of my ponds, the bigger one has watercress and waterlilies, while the other one has caddis fly larvae crawling along the bottom in their little gravel tubes.

Always something interesting to see with water around.

M
Sounds like my dream garden :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't forget that with perspiration, you are bound to lose some electrolytes that you must replace and plain water isn't good enough. Even salt, you can't pick that up without a bit of sugar to power the biochemical uptake mechanism (active transport).
Well salted chips and a sweet soda like Coke or 7Up works well.

In the outback of beyond, the billabongs were dirty enough to provide minerals even for the goannas. We had jars and bottles of "SaltaDex" pills, a mix of plain sodium chloride table salt with a bit of potassium chloride added and dextrose sugar for the power.

I've experienced plenty of hot (+35C) weather here. +47 in the kitchen, that sort of thing. Live on the floor on cushions. The bottom shelf in the fridge is all sorts of cold drinks.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Put the sprinkler on the red hot van roof and sat under the run off, had a M&S Pina Colada because I was working so hard. Not enough of that 4G stuff to load a pic.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
As the saying goes, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"....When you see pictures of the people who live in extreme heat in the deserts they are not in a T-shirt and shorts but are covered from head to toe to stop the sun beaming down on their skin and heating them up. It's not normally an issue in the UK but with the extreme heat it's perfectly applicable. If your going to be exposed to the sun I can highly recommended loose fitting Linen clothing, it doesn't get as hot as other material, is breathable and helps keep you cool.

Another more extreme tip to cool down quickly if your hot we used to use when working in Dry Cleaners during hot days when the steam of the pressers made it unbearable......a cold bucket of water poured over your head is a quick way to cool off.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I remember reading somewhere that forearms are one of the better places to have cooling and still retain some work capability. Once tried that with two very thin towels wrapped around forearms and then dosed with water. It worked to a degree, I was fairly comfy at 30C and doing something light but the towels as such tended to be a hinder. Maybe specially made sleeves that would stay in place would work. Hmmm ... one could have a sewn in water bottle dripping on the sleeves.

Not really much use here as 30C or over is rare.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
use a brolly aka umbrella for shade
Or a parasol......
images

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like my dream garden :)
It could be a lot bigger though. It's amazing how much life you can have in a small garden though. Ours wraps around the gable, (end terrace of a block of three) and the front garden is seperated from the side and back ones by a 2m fence. It kinds of gives it space.
At this time of year though it's a wee Scottish jungle :)

1658227449284.png

There's a pond hiding behind the bed to the right hand side.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It could be a lot bigger though. It's amazing how much life you can have in a small garden though. Ours wraps around the gable, (end terrace of a block of three) and the front garden is seperated from the side and back ones by a 2m fence. It kinds of gives it space.

View attachment 75415

Looks great! Every garden should have at least one area (if not all) that looks like a 'wee *insert country here* jungle' :)

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk

View attachment 75415

That does look lovely. I've crammed about as much into my similar sized garden as I possibly can, but have so far failed to convince my better half of the need for a pond, however small it might have to be. But I am thinking of sneaking one in somehow.

Reactions: wookii and Toddy

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Currently got a large freezer ice block thing on my daughter's music stand in front of a fan. The effect is small but it does make it nicer in the front room.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE