Horsefly bites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I'm not sure if its the same everywhere but this year seems to be ripe for horseflys and I'm getting eaten alive leaving me looking like the elephant man

Whilst out today I was just talking random rubbish with a old boy walking his dog when the mother of all horseflys landed on my hand and stuck right in my reaction was to brush it off but the old feller grabbed my arm and told me to let it have its fill ,so I did he then handed me a alcohol wipe and told me to clean the puncture he then told me that upon having its fill the fly sucks out the nastys it puts in to start with.
as of yet no lump I'm not going to lie it was difficult to not react but it's better than the normal lump

Has anyone else done this

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I rub great plantain on it as I don't always have alcohol with me and that's also supposed to help prevent swelling and stuff.
Never tried actually letting it drink though:eek:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
No.

In these parts you can hear them coming and the bite hurts like hell, so you whack em before they can land or just after.

My understanding (and I am ready to be corrected) is that Horse Flies do not put anything into you but rather rip away at your flesh with their chainsaw mouth parts and drink their fill.

I hate the things.

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They bite to slice the skin open and then drink the blood :(
Miserable damned things.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-fly

Haven't heard of killing off anything that they carry with alcohol; personally I reckon that every horsefly that I deny it's feed is one female that can't breed any more of the blighters. Swat them as soon as you see them. Sleekit wee horrors, they slide in like a stealth bomber and try for the hit and run.

Touch wood, so far this year I have killed plenty, but only one landed and started to bite and I caught it before it could do more than just that. Antihistamines and anti inflammatories stopped it from swelling much, but it still itched for three days.

I don't know of them introducing anything into the wound, but I do know that bacterial infections are supposedly pretty common if the wounds are scratched or irritated.

Knowing just how badly I react, there's no way I could have stood there and let the blighter drink in peace :(

atb,
M

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
As a child(erm quite a few years ago) i got bitten on the ankle hurt like hell and swelled up size of a golf ball, my first and last so far,did have a few attempt to bite me whilst on hoilday on Corfu, would i let them have there fill, would i hell kill all biting stinging insects on site is my philosphy.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I am dealing with three horsefly bites right now and got the fever last night to show that the poison is well and truly in me :( I had a bite go into my knee joint about five years ago, I couldn't walk for a week, it was miserable. I am trying green argile clay at the moment to draw the poison out from the swellings, alternating with plantain poultice and vinegar. I am loath to take antihistamines unless I really have to although that does actually reduce the swelling within about half an hour of taking them.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I was in Arran last week and managed to count 34 bits around my arms and legs. They only swelled up a bit but they itched like nothing else! Even woke up at 4am scratching in my sleep. I tend to end up covered in scabs after an attack as I end up just scratching til they bleed.

On another note in the hunt for a good soothing cream to take the itch away I disovered Vagisil works a treat (Don't ask :D) and will be finding its way into my kit bag for furture bites. Also anti-histamines helped a lot, apart from the whole drowziness thing that was awful.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I found the Stupidly Simple repellent kept them off - if applied in good quantities - but found the devils trying to bite through my t-shirt (unsuccessfully) manged to swat 4 in one slap they were clustered on my shoulder.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...On another note in the hunt for a good soothing cream to take the itch away I disovered Vagisil works a treat (Don't ask :D) and will be finding its way into my kit bag for furture bites. Also anti-histamines helped a lot, apart from the whole drowziness thing that was awful...."

Try putting the underside of a hot spoon onto the bite, not burn-y hot, use a spoon that you have just stirred a cup of tea with, works a treat for me.

:)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I hate them.
They seem to go for me when walking through a cooler shaded area while I'm hot and sweaty: their favourite place is back of the leg. I learned to zip on the legs of my Nosquito trousers when they are about.

I definitely going to try both of the alcohol tips next time: first Mouseo40's then John Fenna's. I can use this as an explanations as to why I need malt whisky in my survival kit.

Never been affected in previous years, but this year does seem worse, they are everywhere and seem to be intent on eating me alive regardless of what repellent I use. While I appreciate the idea of letting them have their fill to save my suffering I would rather kill every last one of them I can get my hands on. They are the new wasps for me, enemy number one, since tearing my legs to shreds and causing me three weeks of itchy, scabby, misery. My advice, take off and nuke them from orbit... it's the only way to be sure :p.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE