Horsefly bites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Never been affected in previous years, but this year does seem worse, they are everywhere and seem to be intent on eating me alive regardless of what repellent I use. While I appreciate the idea of letting them have their fill to save my suffering I would rather kill every last one of them I can get my hands on. They are the new wasps for me, enemy number one, since tearing my legs to shreds and causing me three weeks of itchy, scabby, misery. My advice, take off and nuke them from orbit... it's the only way to be sure :p.

F*@$'in ay man...f*@$'in ay!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I am dealing with three horsefly bites right now and got the fever last night to show that the poison is well and truly in me :( I am loath to take antihistamines unless I really have to although that does actually reduce the swelling within about half an hour of taking them.

Don't be afraid to take anti-histamines in these cases. The reduction in itching results in less swelling, less chance of you scratching and this reduces the chance of infection. You mention a fever, that means an infection. If a simple tablet reduces the chances of that then please take one.

The most effective antihistamines on the market are Piriton (Chlorphenamine maleate) and the original Benadryl (Diphenhydramine hydrochloride). Most supermarket sleep aid tabs contain Diphenhydramine and are a cheap way to get hold of a highly effective antihistamine. Get the 2 a night, and take 1. They will make you drowsy so the usual warnings apply.

I know this from talking to a decent doctor after being bitten badly and getting a hives reaction that put me in hospital with swollen lips and swallowing difficulties. Not anyphylaxis, no drop in blood pressure, but scary enough. Got pumped with intravenous Piriton, Hydrocortisone and swallowed a handful of Prednisone (more steroids). Couldn't sleep for 3 days :(

Sorry, but clay, vinegar or Plantain will not convince me unless it's absolutely all I've got.

I was in Arran last week and managed to count 34 bits around my arms and legs. They only swelled up a bit but they itched like nothing else! Even woke up at 4am scratching in my sleep. I tend to end up covered in scabs after an attack as I end up just scratching til they bleed.

On another note in the hunt for a good soothing cream to take the itch away I disovered Vagisil works a treat (Don't ask :D) and will be finding its way into my kit bag for furture bites. Also anti-histamines helped a lot, apart from the whole drowziness thing that was awful.

Now, this Vagisil thing. I think you ought to tell us :lol:

i suppose itch "doon there behind the curtains" is the same as itch anywhere else. Funny as though :D

Nail on head re: antihistamines, it's easy to breach the skin to very inflamed flesh without even realising. Seen some sorry mosquito victims in Thailand, 2 week hols spent changing dressings on sunburnt skin and swallowing antibiotics.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I disovered Vagisil works a treat (Don't ask :D)We have to ask now Scotty and how did you go about the purchase ?:lmao::lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good advice there Nice65 :approve:

Y'know folks are going to wonder about bushcrafters.....between tampons for firelighting, and vagisil for insect bites :rolleyes:

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good advice there Nice65 :approve:

Y'know folks are going to wonder about bushcrafters.....between tampons for firelighting, and vagisil for insect bites :rolleyes:

M

Condoms for water carrying and waterproofing mobiles and Haemorrhoid cream for bruises.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
While we are there, I have used haemoroid cream on chigger bites. Sometimes the random delve into what is in the medicine box and grab anything that says relieves itching has some weird off label uses. Horse fly bites are nasty for infections. There is a lot about this year.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I am of the thinking if your body is spending energy cooking bacteria etc leave the body to do its work.

I slapped teatree on the one I got a few days ago. I could nt let a horse fly sit and feed, maybe swatting themout does more damage, but it has a hypodermic face so it should die.

Don't have to be sick - will lower your temp very slightly anyway. I'd rather do it another way though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I carry an epi pen in cleg season, I use two kinds of antihistamine and an anti-inflammatory to stop the horrendous swelling and skin damage, and to ease the worst of the incredible itching. When it's so bad that the houseleek or aloe juice doesn't help, I find the Eurax cream to stop the itching.

Take the fast acting four hourly antihistamine asap, then the one a day when that first one (or maybe two or three of them) times out. Loratadine is the non drowsy one.
That really stops the worst of the body's reaction to the bite, and the anti-inflammatory keeps the swelling down and the affected joint still able to move.

I have been incredibly lucky and have never gone into anaphylactic shock or had a bite that got so badly infected that it needed drained and intravenous antibiotics. I'm trying really, really hard to keep it that way.
I have been bitten on my throat and found not only my breathing impaired but my heart fluttering like a bird trapped in my chest, though :( that was scary enough.

Clegs....it's well seen the De'il's known as the Lord of Flies.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
While we are there, I have used haemoroid cream on chigger bites. Sometimes the random delve into what is in the medicine box and grab anything that says relieves itching has some weird off label uses. Horse fly bites are nasty for infections. There is a lot about this year.

True. Less itch is better, don't care whether it says vagi, anus, or just this "stuff stops itching". Calming itching, however you do it, is easy to do and is a first aid.

Did you say labia? :D. That was class, cracks not curtains ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE