Horse saddle into leather goods What do you think??

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Well I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I was mentioning to someone that I needed some leather to make a couple of pouches and an axe mask, and they have given me a leather horse saddle and said I could recycle the leather off it. Now the saddle looks good but I'm not a horsey person. Would you strip the components down and make the stuff I need, or do I offer it up here in exchange for plain veg tanned leather??

saddle.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most of the better advice has already been offered. In order:
1. Check for cavalry stamps or other indications of historic value.
2. If the saddle isn't of particular historic signifcance but is useable, then try to sell or give it to someone needing a saddle.
3. failing these, then go ahead and recycle it; BUT! keep the tree for anyone who might want to rebuild a saddle from it later.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Thanks for the input guys... There are no markings on it... Santaman, wondered what the tree was, but a quick google image search enlightened me :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Trouble is, if it doesn't suit the horse or it's damaged, it can do the animal a lot of harm being slammed into their backs with weight on top... it's unlikely to have been chucked out if the tree is sound and its a good saddle :S

You'd be surprised. They often turn up at estate sales or after someone's moved on from riding.

Three of my saddle disappeared when I enlisted. One of them (my very first from when I was only six years old) reappeared a few years ago when one of my cousins revealed he'd been keeping it for me while I was gone. Now forty years on, the leather's far to dry to restore although I could have it completely recovered (although I obviously don't fit the same saddle I rode as a six year old)Back then that saddle sat atop a 1200 pound Pinto mare (my first horse) as well as a small Pinto Shetland pony before I outgrew it.

My next saddle (a 15" hard seat) sat on four different horses of between 1000 and 1200 pounds each before being damaged in an accident.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
Trouble is, if it doesn't suit the horse or it's damaged, it can do the animal a lot of harm being slammed into their backs with weight on top... it's unlikely to have been chucked out if the tree is sound and its a good saddle :S

I have built and fixed a lot of saddles and I have never seen a total write off except one found in a manure pile.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Recycle it quick! In a lifetime working with horses I have seen some horrific things happen to the poor sods by well - meaning people who look at an old saddle like that, and think it's the business 'cause it polishes up well. Save the horses and make some cool stuff, when you're finished get rid of the tree in such a way as it can't be re - used. ...............atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE