Hooped bivy help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
Hope you can give me some advise :)

I'm after a hooped bivi:

It needs to be under 2kg (or much less prefably) and no larger than 40 x 15cm packed as I travel very light.

It needs to be made of tough, heavy duty or non rip material and waterproof - Goretex prehaps?

It needs good ventilation or a mossie net set up.

I'd prefer it if it was camoflage or dark coloured.

I don't want to spend more than £150 if I can help it, but am willing to go up to £200 if I spot one that's absolutely amazing :D

I've seen some knocking about; at the moment I'm looking at a stratosphere, but I'm not an expert and would really appreciate some advice. Many thanks!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have a look at the snugpak stratosphere and do a search on ebay, there`s quite a few on there for between £70-90. Some are goretex and some aren`t so it depends what you want.

Here`s a quick search ...

"SAS" Goretex - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SAS-Camo-...kparms=72%3A1298|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

1 KG Falcon - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-1-Kg-FALC...14&_trkparms=72:1298|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Snugpak - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Snugpak-S...14&_trkparms=72:1298|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I have been looking at this problem as well. In the long run I settled for the Gelert 'Solo' tent, which surprise, surprise is a hooped bivi. Dual skin very comfey, packs small and is about a kilo. Has a mozzie net and every thing else you need. Unlike a goretex one is not damp inside at the end of the night.

Oh yes, at under £25 new its a snip.

Sandsnakes

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Two of the guys with whom I regularly walk use Terra Nova Jupiter bivis and swear by them. We usually tarp/bivi and while I use a 2.5 x 2.5 m tarp, (with my RAB survival zone) they get away with 2 x 1.2m tarps as the jupiter is a pretty bomb-proof jobby. Often, they don't use the tarps at all - which is probably what you're after.

List price is around £200 but they paid about £160 and you can usually find them for about £180.

Reviews on Outdoorsmagic:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewproduct/mps/RPN/523/RER/2/v/2
(BTM - it comes in green as well as red!)

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I'll second Kerne. I use a Jupiter and only used a tarp recently as a windbreak. It can be a bit difficult at times getting in and out due to the position of the zip (the Snugpak looks better placed). Other than that I can't fault it As for price, mine was £120 used off eBay a couple of years ago.

Hope this helps.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
quick review of the snugpak

Small review and pics. First off, since the little one has arrived i haven't had the chance to get out and shaft half as much as i want. So this mini review is backyard bushcraft I'm afraid.
Went allow to see Stella's sister at the weekend, living just off the A59 their house backs on to countryside, so i thought id take the bivi to try.
It was a nice clear day but with very strong winds.
The bivi is (in my opinion very small and light when packed away.
With only ever putting this up once before when i first got it, decided to time myself, (bare in mind it was blowing a hoolie)
Right took it out and pegged the bottom to stop it blowing away
snugpakbivi03.jpg

once this is pegged out its just a matter of putting in the top to poles
snugpakbivi04.jpg

and another pic
snugpakbivi05.jpg

all in all it took a few minutes to erect and in strong winds.
here's some more pics.
snugpakbivi01.jpg

snugpakbivi02.jpg

inside towards your feet still plenty room
snugpakbivi06.jpg

this is where your head goes
snugpakbivi07.jpg

the vent at the top end
snugpakbivi08.jpg

the small storage pocket, keys money small torch etc
snugpakbivi09.jpg

another vent which can be open or closed from inside to let fresh air on your face
snugpakbivi11.jpg

same vent from the inside
snugpakbivi10.jpg

and a pic of the zip as you can see its well concealed.
snugpakbivi12.jpg

Well am i pleased, ohhh yesss, it packs down small, weights very little, takes no time to put up, and is so simple.
Seems very well made, just need to test in a down pour, its supposed to very waterproof, time will tell.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for sharing spoony, I`ve had my eye on these for a while now.

How does it keep its` shape so well ? In piccy 5 it looks as though it`s been filled with hot air. One of reasons I`ve not shelled out for one is because I couldn`t understand how it was held up away from your body with just hoops at the head end.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
theres nothing to keep it off your body really, it was blowing a gale when i put it up and when i opened it to climb in it filled with air, and stayed like that lol prefered it like that, feels bigger, also when i was in and out i never felt it would blow away once,

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Thanks for sharing spoony, I`ve had my eye on these for a while now.

How does it keep its` shape so well ? In piccy 5 it looks as though it`s been filled with hot air. One of reasons I`ve not shelled out for one is because I couldn`t understand how it was held up away from your body with just hoops at the head end.

Good question Rich.

I hope to be getting one of these from Lurch when he gets some in.

Stu

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I reckon these look pretty nice, but have read that you get condensation inside them and since I just got a down filled bag, so might not be best for that......

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
I have been looking at this problem as well. In the long run I settled for the Gelert 'Solo' tent, which surprise, surprise is a hooped bivi. Dual skin very comfey, packs small and is about a kilo. Has a mozzie net and every thing else you need. Unlike a goretex one is not damp inside at the end of the night.

Oh yes, at under £25 new its a snip.

Sandsnakes

I've seen these before and I have been toying with the idea of getting one (to add to the tent collection lol:rolleyes: )

Though I've heard from more than one person that the fibre glass poles start splitting after very little use, which is surprising as I've always found Gelert stuff good.

Cheers for the help everyone, you've given lots to think about :)

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
SAS BIVI, loads of room inside for you and your full ruck, double hooped, loads of anchor points, low down to ground though, used for observation i quess, they beat the jubiter for room, they dont have a mossi net,[ I quess the sas are tough enough],but mossi netting can always be added , ive got two a 1989 issue and a 1999 issue, ones in jungle DPM the newer one is in a darker DPM colour, theres 2000 issue ones out there, they go for around £100, they pack down small, and take up no room in a ruck, can be used as a bivy bag, these are great if your into wildlife observation or not being detected, or not getting wet...good kit honest...

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
Seems very well made, just need to test in a down pour, its supposed to very waterproof, time will tell.

easiest way of testing the waterproofness of the snugpak bivi would be to set it up in your back garden, get inside and get the missus to hose it down with a hosepipe!
at least this way you wont get caught out in a storm on some godforsaken hillside with a wet though sleeping bag.
the condensation problem has been solved by a mesh panel around the head section which lets the air circulate.
also i love the way traders on ebay label everything SAS/PARA/MARINES in a bid to get you to buy their tat. I'm waiting for a listing that says "SAS/PARA/MARINES furry slippers amd bathrobe genuine issue" then i could truly say i have seen everything!

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
easiest way of testing the waterproofness of the snugpak bivi would be to set it up in your back garden, get inside and get the missus to hose it down with a hosepipe!
at least this way you wont get caught out in a storm on some godforsaken hillside with a wet though sleeping bag.
the condensation problem has been solved by a mesh panel around the head section which lets the air circulate.
also i love the way traders on ebay label everything SAS/PARA/MARINES in a bid to get you to buy their tat. I'm waiting for a listing that says "SAS/PARA/MARINES furry slippers amd bathrobe genuine issue" then i could truly say i have seen everything!
That review was when i first got it i just copied and pasted it, sorry since then it has been out in rain and didnt leak, still very pleased with it got mine from http://naturestrails.co.uk/index.php?id=8

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
SAS BIVI, loads of room inside for you and your full ruck, double hooped, loads of anchor points, low down to ground though, used for observation i quess, they beat the jubiter for room, they dont have a mossi net,[ I quess the sas are tough enough],but mossi netting can always be added , ive got two a 1989 issue and a 1999 issue, ones in jungle DPM the newer one is in a darker DPM colour, theres 2000 issue ones out there, they go for around £100, they pack down small, and take up no room in a ruck, can be used as a bivy bag, these are great if your into wildlife observation or not being detected, or not getting wet...good kit honest...
Ressurrecting this post for some advice plz Leantoo.
I have two of these bivi`s (says SAS on the out side of them) never used either yet, bought at a car boot, my question is, do you zip yours up fully when sleeping? as there is no mozi net to let the air in, is it dangerous to have it zipped overnight? hense where is the air getting in if these are gortez, hope this makes sense, dont want to suffercate in the night, or are they not ment to be zipped up fully, then they dont become waterproof.
Thanks
Bill

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Hope you can give me some advise :)

I'm after a hooped bivi:

It needs to be under 2kg (or much less prefably) and no larger than 40 x 15cm packed as I travel very light.

Just weighed my Dutch bivi and it's under 4lb without the pole, see below. Folded and rolled its almost exactly 40 x 15

It needs to be made of tough, heavy duty or non rip material and waterproof - Goretex prehaps?

Check

It needs good ventilation or a mossie net set up.

Ventilation - dunno, mossie net - check

I'd prefer it if it was camoflage or dark coloured.

It's DPM

I don't want to spend more than £150 if I can help it, but am willing to go up to £200 if I spot one that's absolutely amazing :D

I bought mine on the forum for £50 without poles... made a pole from some nylon rod and some ally tubing - it weighs a bit less than 8oz

I've seen them complete with ally poles on Evilbay for £90 so well inside your budget.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
just an idea here, but the brit army bag with the extension piece. Rig it upside down with the flap as a door and a hooped pole to suspend it?

I reckon the whole thing with a pole would be around 1kg. it packs down small.... and then you just need to either add a mossy net over the opening, or use a sleeping bag with a built in mesh (I use a travelpak 3).

Personally i use the bag as a conventional bivi and just use a poncho over the head end for shelter if its persisting down..... that way I get the benefit of the poncho during the day/loafing around camp.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE