Honey_of_a_stove for £6

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
It all started when I saw a square roasting dish in 99p shop. 6 squares of steel equal a cube, cube of steel equals hobo stove. However could not think of a easy way to fit them together and fold down. Abandon Mk one.

Enter MKII

PICT0042640x480.jpg

It is made up of 4 dishes, one 99p set of pegs and as it used up a fair few dremmel cut off wheels, I added a quid to the cost !!

PICT0028640x480.jpg

PICT0020640x480.jpg

Bottom Right is base, has 3 air holes on each side, and a grid of air holes in its "top"
Bottom Left is Fire Pan, has matching air holes but only small holes in centre to allow meths burner or Esbit
Top is the two extra "side" pieces, used dremmel to cut out base of tray, leaving a quarter inch or so to allow easy stacking.

PICT0031640x480.jpg

Fire pan on Base, two sides stacked. You can also see two holes on left lip and a single hole on right lip which will be used to keep the parts together.

PICT0035640x480.jpg

All stacked and held with tent pegs

PICT0036640x480.jpg

Fire can be laid up before assembly, would allow use of "sparks" to get it lit

PICT0040640x480.jpg

Off and rolling

PICT0042640x480.jpg

PICT0043640x480.jpg

Coffee and ashes !!! Victory

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Quick photo of it half packed away. Those tent pegs are 10inchs, that is a small meths stove at front. The four dishes stack inside each other and so will be about 10.5 inchs square, some 2.75 inchs tall. The old kidney pouch will not close fully but a bit of velcro webbing does the job to keep the lid down.

PICT0001640x480.jpg

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Took it out for a good test today and it worked just fine. However I intend to drill out ( enlarge ) the centre small holes as it will not stop it working with meths and will only help it as a wood burner.

Full_blaze640x480.jpg

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Picked up a 40 inch steel rule in poundland and turned it into a pot rest.
Cut 2 pieces at 6inch and 3 at 9inch and then notches to the middle at 1,3 & 5 and 7,9 & 11 with same at 13,20 ; 22,29 and 31,38 as below

Ruler640x480.jpg

Ruler2640x480.jpg

The bits are then fitted across the top. Now any pot / mug over 2 inchs will sit ok on the metalwork. Was going to cut a slot in the top "pan" to fit them but feel it will get more use when using meths or a smaller fire with just 2 or 3 "pan" layers.

If I am having a "roaring fire" would most properly hang a billy over it so not need the rest. Anyway I can always cut them later.

By the way the little bit in the top photo shows the rule just cut a bit at 40 inch and the dremel used to "score" between the two cuts. By folding the rule it will break at that spot and saves using too many cutting wheels.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Now that is REALLY neat. Been thinking about making a metal cube which folds down by welding hinges to flat/flanged plates [unfortunatley I have no welding facilities - but there is a shipyard down the road]. But that stacking idea of baking trays is so elegantly simple, bet it's quite light too?

Definatley going to have to a pound shop and snap up some baking tins... [ I did try from the shipyard metal skip. but the thinest stuff they use is 5mm, so a little difficult for me to work & a little heavy to go backpacking with]

NICE IDEA

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Thank you all for your kind comments. I would not say it "quite light" as it comes in at just over the 1kg mark. If you really wanted you could lose a bit more weight by taking the sides to the edge of what was the bottom of the dish, taking the more metal out of the fire bowl and its stand. In fact I would welcome someone coming up with a MKIII.

Poundland gravesend did have lighter dishes in but they where not square and had smaller sides.

Again thanks for the comments

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE