Honey on Tour (Could become pic Heavy...)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 16, 2007
Not very wild as the gardner had just done my back garden (one thing I hate doing)

IMG_3332.jpg

But was my first test of it and it's great.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Can you use it as a hearth to keep warm ...

I suppose that using it as a hearth is ... feasible. However, the stove isn't large enough to provide enough heat if you were to rely on it to keep you warm in 'proper serious' cold conditions - or to dry you if you were to get soaked.

... to contain the fire or would the metal warp/burn through if you left it too long?

The only plate which I've noticed any warping on mine ('08 version) is the Top (cooking) Plate; the warping doesn't affect the ability to break down/rebuild the stove :D .

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I got a honey stove for my birthday yesterday and tried it out for the first time yesterday. This was the first time using a wood burning stove and I have to say I'm impressed, It was just so easy to use and it was such a better experience than using a meths stove, I'm sure it would be even better using an open fire but this was great :D

Just one problem.... I forgot my camera! I'll take some pictures next time :D

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Oh yes, what can I use to stop scorching grass underneath the stove? I did put down some foil to catch the ashed but I completely forgot about the heat and ended up leaving a circle of burnt grass under the stove :(

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I used my honey stove at Swift Valley the other week and after finishing cooking I kept filling it full to the brim - and above - with twigs etc. I have to say that I was expecting the base plate to be all warped and nasty in the morning when I woke up and it had all cooled down - but nothing of the sort - it was all perfectly ok.

As regards using a honey stove to keep warm in winter - I was thinking of using some cheapo foam backed radiator reflective type stuff to reflect heat back to wards me - but not yet actually tried it.

Based on my limited experience I would say the main thing would be to have lots of twigs while you were awake, get as warm as possible and then get well wrapped up when you went to sleep

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
PS re scorched grass - I have used a folded tin from a freezer pie - as suggested by the supplier - but it still left a burnt circle.Next time I use it on grass I will try putting a layer of twifggs under the foil - worth a try

Podcast Bob

UPDATE UPDATE Honey Stove fans!

First top tip.

Scorched earth. The folded foil method is okay, but still not protective enough especially with a loaded stove, so I've been experimenting with a folding blowtorch pad, which is working really well. This is the kind of thing you pick up in a DIY shop for a few quid, to put behind copper pipes when you solder them with a blow torch (to protect the walls). Very light, folds and is a woven protective material. You could even use it as a windshield should you need to.

Second top tip.

This came in this morning from a customer Colin (A HUGE thank you), and I think it is BRILLIANT!!

From a supermarket, pick up a sink plug hole sieve. It looks like a tea strainer and sits over your plug hole to stop the big bits going down there. Anyway, it is the same diameter (usually) as a Trangia and will sit in the slots on the HS. This means that you can use it in the square set up as a wood burner, or as a support for a coke can stove.

Keep the photos coming folks, I'm really enjoying seeing how people use it and the best shots will get used to show how flexible it is.

Many thanks and see how you get on with this new info. Cheers Bob

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
This came in this morning from a customer Colin (A HUGE thank you), and I think it is BRILLIANT!!

From a supermarket, pick up a sink plug hole sieve. It looks like a tea strainer and sits over your plug hole to stop the big bits going down there. Anyway, it is the same diameter (usually) as a Trangia and will sit in the slots on the HS. This means that you can use it in the square set up as a wood burner, or as a support for a coke can stove.

Now that is a good idea ;)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=291927&postcount=1

Funnily enough I generally use the Honeystove instead of the Clickstand now but haven't used it in the square set up, so didn't think to try it. Should work very well.

Update
Mind you Bob I just checked my old PMs and in 2008 from me to you
"...and using a sink strainer in a Clickstand, so it can be used as a woodstove, which the inveter liked the idea off and has said he might use at some future date. "

Really, one of us should have put 2 and 2 together before now.

Best wishes with it.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Here's mine with number 1 son using it for the first time at Rowlestone court and doing well.He lit it with his firesteel and tinder.

Last edited:

Podcast Bob

Update on the Sink Strainer suggestion.

I've just been out and seeing what the air flow rate was like with one off the shelf. As it stands it isn't quite enough to support a good flame, so I did the following.

1) Drilled 8 x 5mm holes around the solid edge.
2) Drilled 5 x 5mm in the grill itself to increase flow.
3) Folded up one edge by about 5mm, to allow 4 sides to be used, rather than 3 sides and a door. (It works just as well with the door, but the fuel falls out much easier, so I think the 4 sides is a more efficient way to go)

Placing the strainer in the mid slot (using 4 sides) enabled me to use an Esbit/Hex tab and get a rolling boil of 400ml cold tap water in 10 mins, which I though was very respectable.

I then did the same thing with very fine twigs, leaving it in the same place, and it took fractionally longer, but they have something to do with the damp twigs I was using.

This would be a perfect set up for those using Esbit/Hex tabs with the back up of organic matter. Many folks use stoves like this for the Marathon De'Sable, and this offers pan support, windshield and a choice of fuels all in a flat pack.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
1) Drilled 8 x 5mm holes around the solid edge.

You can save having to do this bit, the Faringdon Stainless Steel Sink Strainer ( £1.30 from Amazon.co.uk ) already has 2 circles of holes around the outside.
Might be worth getting one, just to make sure it does fit and burn well, as if so it's pretty much a ready-made add on.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Looks good spoony.

I took the stove out again today to try out my new pots (forgot my camera again though :( ) and I couldn't get it started properly. No fault to the stove I just couldn't get the damn fire going - I need to practise. I put it in the garden with my trangia stove so I could at elast see how the pots are and I quite like using the honey stove with the trangia, there wasn't much protection from wind but it will be more flexible in terms of what I can cook in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE