honey cuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hardr004

Forager
Jan 16, 2010
chichester
I have hurd of putting honey over a acut to stop infection, but i was wondering whether it hurt and stung, or whether you could not feel it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's not something I use on 'cuts', but for grazes and scrapes, it's very good indeed. It's also good for wee hacks at the side of nails, just put a dab on it and cover with a plaster before going to bed.
It's really good in lipsalves too.

I know that there were studies done to see how well it worked for bedsores and ulcers among the long term ill or infirm. I believe the results were pretty good :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It has antiseptic properties doesn't it?

I'm a big fan of having it mixed in with hot squash when I have a sore throat/cough/ cold. - works wonders.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I haven't used honey on cuts, but have used bee propolis - in-fact i have a tincture of the stuff on the bathroom shelf - great on any cut or infected wound :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah now, I hadn't thought on that. I've been given a wee jar of little yellow lumps of propolis and was wondering just what to do with it.
Thank you :D

cheers,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My gran used to put honey on my scrapes and bumps after falling off my bike, can't remember it hurting but it sure did taste good :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Pain free for me - but I end up sucking the honey off if it is a cut on my hands!
It can get messy as well, but then even eating honey is messy if you have a beard like mine...
The 'tache is getting very long at the moment as I am playing "Baron Tightfist" in our local panto. I use a mix of Bee's wax and cooking oil as a moustache wax to realy curl it up in true "victorian baddie" style.
Bee products are many and versatile!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I actually have an old recipe for a moustache wax :D......apparantly my g.g. grandfather had one that twirled at the ends and he liked it kept dark, even though there was a fair bit of the red in his beard.
I can find the recipe ( I can see HWMBLT's face now when I tell him I'm making a moustache conditioner :rolleyes: He'll be away out for a walk so I can't try it out on him :D ) and make some up if you'd like to try it out ? I'm sure it's got resin it.

cheers,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I actually have an old recipe for a moustache wax :D......apparantly my g.g. grandfather had one that twirled at the ends and he liked it kept dark, even though there was a fair bit of the red in his beard.
I can find the recipe ( I can see HWMBLT's face now when I tell him I'm making a moustache conditioner :rolleyes: He'll be away out for a walk so I can't try it out on him :D ) and make some up if you'd like to try it out ? I'm sure it's got resin it.

cheers,
M
Wow - I would love to try it! I may even keep the long tache if it realy works well :)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Don't forget, local honey is the best cure for hey fever too, a spoon a day in the run up and during the season and you'll have no issues with the local pollen ;)

Very interesting, its a shame that for most people these days this knowledge has died out, myself included. I am trying to learn it at the moment, just been watching Grow your own drugs by James Wong and a couple of his remidies use honey for cuts/grazes. But I never thought about it for hacks as Toddy mentioned. Might give it a go....or I may end up eating the whole pot. :D

forestwalker

I know that there were studies done to see how well it worked for bedsores and ulcers among the long term ill or infirm. I believe the results were pretty good :cool:

I've red a couple of the studies, and they do report pretty good results on ulcers and bedsores. I got a slight "preaching the gospel" feel about them though, which always makes me suspicious. Nothing specific I reacted to, so they might very well be perfectly good research, just a suspicious mind.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree, but then look at Tea tree oil and Manuka honey. Our own pine oils are as good as the teatree and our own honeys are as good as Manuka......and no air miles :D

We import aloe vera, which does work, but the houseleek which grows on old walls and roofs, is every bit as effective.

The exotic, especially with careful advertising hype, always has a pull.

cheers,
Toddy

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I heard something on Radio 4 today about the antiseptic properties of honey.
They said it contains antibacterial agents, it is quite acidic which is not conducive to bacteria and its water content is low so that when bacteria land on it their moisture is sucked out of them by osmosis and they die. It also contains anti-oxidants.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
I also heard that article on Radio 4. A listener had asked about the antibacterial properties of honey and wether it had been used in wound dressings on the battle field: It has.

Another of the antibacterial mechanisms they mentioned is the slow release of hydrogen peroxide, formed from glucose oxidase.

I've used it on a burn that was taking ages to heal and was going a bit funny: put some honey (from our own bees - yey!) on a plaster overnight, and the next day the wound was much cleaner and well on the way to a mend. I think it itched a bit. Take care doing this, though, as honey naturally carries the botulinum bacillus which is why honey is not recommended for infants under 1.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE