Honest Work

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not exactly a craft but I find nothing more satisfying than splitting firewood. It's honest work with a pactical and useful outcome. There's soul to the whole deliberate process that's pure Zen :)

This morning's efforts:

IMG_6996-512.jpg

Cheers,

Broch

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
When I was a kid, one of the first "grown up" jobs I was allowed to do was split firewood. I still love it. (Still haven't, however, grown up.)

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
Not exactly a craft but I find nothing more satisfying than splitting firewood. It's honest work with a pactical and useful outcome. There's soul to the whole deliberate process that's pure Zen :)

This morning's efforts:

IMG_6996-512.jpg

Cheers,

Broch

i agree totally, as god/morgan freeman said in bruce almighty "theres something to be said for good honest labour" or words to those effect anyway. gotta love swinging an axe
lee

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its very different when the logs are hard frozen though isn't it - much more "snap" to the log?

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
A neighbour rented a hydraulic splitter for the weekend. Three of us spent all weekend splitting all our logs. I now ache all over - but in an honest way!

Jusali

May 22, 2008
Bristol
I was brought up chopping firewood :D love every minute of it.
My son loves going to his grandads to chop wood he's only 4

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Yeah i think its mainly a little boy thing, i simply love chopping logs. Can do it for quite some time very happily, i think it is nice for the mind to be focused on something and it allows the rest to be calm and content.

Strange i love choping it and making things from it but i always feel a little sad when a tree is cut down.

Hmm might buy a new axe today.....

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
while spending a weekend in the woods, felling small dead standing trees or coppice then turning them into split logs and enjoying the warmth they provide is wonderful:)...

...but while at work the first truck load is ok, the second and third get a bit tedious, then after two days of producing firewood i think words like soul destroying are appropriate:(

pete

When I was a kid, one of the first "grown up" jobs I was allowed to do was split firewood. I still love it. (Still haven't, however, grown up.)

me to if i didnt got out in the snow ot cut up the wood no hot water for my bath :eek: got bought my own little axe and small Bow saw :rolleyes: so no whingin i couldt use the big ones

oh also had the 7lb sledge and wedges (Dad used the 14 lber )

ATB

Duncan

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
I loved splitting wood with an axe when I was a kid used to go out for a couple hours everyday. Nothing as nice a the sound of an axe hitting the wood. Such a satisfying way to stay warm to.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I love it too. If there realy frozen the big ones bounce the maul sometimes and its takes a bit of rarrrrhh to get the fella through. Had some terrible pieces of knotted willow this year but after an hour on that, going back to anything else was a doddle.

Same as Duncan - No chop chop, no bath :)

100_2496.jpg

pwb

When processing wood at work it's a hydraulic tractor mounted splitter.
Just not the same with all the noise and oil leaks :rolleyes:....hell of a lot easier though :D.

At home it's totally different.
I love using the maul, 5 1/2 Lb Brades axe and even sometimes a sledge and wedge.
It's very satisfying and rewarding putting logs in the shed.

DSC00313.jpg

Pete.

I

ian2000

i have a woodburner now and my garden is looking good to, go out chop some logs then when hot do some weeding get cold chop more logs it gest works for me

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
what a great thing cutting and splitting logs.......

ahhhhhhh i miss it so much..... i used to do it for hours round my mates house when i was a kid.

the best bit was the long night next to the fire........ enjoy...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE