Foray into stick weaving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Been trying my hand at some stick weaving over the Christmas period. Never really got into knitting or crochet or anything like that but it's certainly become clear how relaxing it can be to have some low intensity craft to do in your down time, watching telly or listening to the radio. Anyway, I started out with a little "proof of concept" bracelet one night using some string and some chopsticks, with the warp just taped to the end. It worked pretty well, even if I haven't quite figured out how to tie it reliably with one hand. A lot of guides say just to tuck in or weave around the ends of the weft, which i'm sure would be fine, but for this one i tied the ends to one of the loops a bit further down just to be safe.

riOA7qbl.jpg

I then made some actual weaving sticks from some birch sticks I picked up along an old wagonway near to my house. Birch is pretty much the staple of urban bushcraft, aye? Stripped the bark, found some reasonably straight sections, rounded off one end and thinned out the other. Not sure what the exact term is but imagine a flathead screwdriver. I then drilled a hole through that end for the warp, although i'm sure someone more practised with the knife than me could find some way of making them. Maybe with a bow drill prior to cutting them to length? These are ~20cm long by ~1-1.5cm in diameter, mainly just because that's what I found. I'm sure a bunch of different sizes would work and maybe have different effects on the finished product.

The process is actually pretty forgiving of slight bends, splits or small knots, maybe because of how loose the weave is, but you'll want to make sure that there aren't any rough patches that the yarn might get caught on. These sticks worked, but if I had replaced the two outside ones with straighter sticks the whole thing would have been a lot more painless. The middle ones were all fine.

Small test piece/bookmark. I just used poundland DK synthetic wool for this whole project, nothing fancy. It worked, and I'm happy with the final product, but I do get the sense that the process might be better suited to some yarn a fair bit thicker.

The big piece, a scarf using all six sticks. No progress pics, but the process is simple enough. Cut warp twice as long as you want the final piece to be, feed it through holes on the sticks, tie them all together at the end. Wrap wool around the sticks until finished. You only really need to tie the ends but I did a few braids since there were 12 total strands of warp, two per stick, and this way each warp is connected to another without compressing the end of the scarf down to a point.

Took me a few weeks on and off, probably no more than a week of working on it in the evenings in total. It's ~11cm wide, 144cm long and 140g which is (according to my maths at least) 884gsm. You do get quite a lot of control over how thick it is by pushing the weft together on the warp or pulling it apart on your leg. I think this is actually a bit looser than the yarn arranged itself naturally as it was coming off the sticks, I just messed with it a bit until it felt right. But you could make some very thick wool blankets with this method, or if you make it looser your fingers can easily pass through it, almost like a netting material.

Here you can see the difference between where I started out (on the right) and how much more even it is on the left once I'd started to get the hang of it (doesn't take long). I ran out of yarn before I finished and the next ball I bought was a slightly different colour so I added it roughly equally to each end, gives it something of a dipped look. Or something. One potential downside of the material is that, because of how loose it is, you have to be careful not to get it caught on anything or you else end up with one big dangly loop, best way to deal with that is probably just to tuck it under some other nearby loops, trying to pull it all apart to get it back to where it was is a massive pain.

f4QW0btl.jpg

;)

I'd like to use this process to make a blanket, throw, maybe even a cardigan or something, but I haven't quite figured out the best way of joining woven strips together... I'm also not sure how the material would respond to washing or boiling/felting. Things to experiment with!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good for you :D

If you thread wee loops through the holes first (we call them sacrificial loops because we cut them when we're finished) and then thread your warps through those, you'll end up with a series of loops. If your starting thread is left longish then you can buttonhole (think closely worked blanket stitch, really just half hitches) stitch with that through all the loops at once and that will give you a solid ring at one end. Twist and ply up the warps ends at the other end into two strands…they simply tie through the loops like a friendship bracelet and knot securely :D

To sew two long wide lengths together, use a long blunt ended needle and matching yarn. It needs to be nearly twice as long as the lengths you are intending to join together.
You simply run the needle and thread through a couple of cms long worth of loops on one length and then through the same on the other side _--_--_--_--_--_--_--_
Try to keep the tension even as you work along and simply tie off at the ends.

It's a good method of using raw wool and felting it into a fairly firm piece when you're finished. On public days we have a peg loom that's nearly a metre long that uses the same technique, and we use it to make huge squares for felt rugs.

M

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That looks great.

In class today my friend was showing off her stripy jumper, all autumnal colours, so jazzy but not vulgar.

It was in separate strips, so could be made by french knitting or similar...but need lots of time!

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Good for you :D

If you thread wee loops through the holes first (we call them sacrificial loops because we cut them when we're finished) and then thread your warps through those, you'll end up with a series of loops. If your starting thread is left longish then you can buttonhole (think closely worked blanket stitch, really just half hitches) stitch with that through all the loops at once and that will give you a solid ring at one end. Twist and ply up the warps ends at the other end into two strands…they simply tie through the loops like a friendship bracelet and knot securely :D

Thanks :D I read this quite a few times and I thiiink I know what you're talking about. Making long tubes, right? :p

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
;)

:D

Somewhere I have the photos of the images I drew out to laminate for demonstration days….if I can find them anytime soonish I'll put them up.

I find the loop structure of the weaving is inclined to slide down the warps unless you make the warps as thick as the weaving sticks, and they snag too.
That's why felting works so well on it.

Your bracelet of string is a good way to keep a length of cordage at hand though. (no pun intended :) ) If you use strap clips as the tie off points it comes undone relatively easily

You have a lot of patience making a scarf length from it though :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE