Building My Bush Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jason

Jan 10, 2018
Canada
Hi everyone,

Some of you probably already know that I’ve wanted to build a Bush Camp for the past few years. Well, more than a few years to be honest, but with work, raising three kids, etc. its been near impossible to find time to even get out on canoe trips in the summer.

With the kids teenagers now I'm really out of excuses, so I decided to get out and just get it done. I really need a place that I can get out to that's quiet and away from things, and I realized that I don’t need to travel hours away from home to get outdoors and into a wilderness area to practice my camp skills. So, I’ve decided to set up a bushcraft camp here in Grey County, Ontario.

I knew of a spot that I stumbled across but would need to get permission from the land owner. It was situated in a mostly mixed hardwood forest, the majority of the available timber is Ironwood and Ash hardwoods but there was also some Maple, Cherry, Poplar and a bit of Cedar here and there.

After getting the permission I needed I went out and got to it.

Building the shelter is harder than I had anticipated, partly due to fighting off a flu the second day I went out and partly due to running the camera to document the process. Oh, and did I mention I started in December? Yeah, winter has made it a bit challenging too.

My idea is to create a wilderness camp that would include a shelter, fire pit, cooking facilities, storage/firewood area, and a bushcrafting area of course.

(**I wanted to add a few photos here, but can't figure out how)

The focus at this stage was to mainly have a dry space to store some firewood and a fire pit to keep warm (and enjoy my time out there a bit - who doesn't like sitting by a campfire?)

Anyhow, I know most of you have seen a camp being built before but I thought I'd share my experience with you. This is a series of building my bushcraft camp, looking through my lens. It's a what you see is what you get vlog type series. I'm not interested in editing out the problems I face or my mistakes. Nobody's perfect and I'm far from perfect.

This is the third video in the series.

Reactions: grip

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE