Homity pie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Nice one.
looks tasty I'll cook it for the residents at work I think

Im sure they will love it, when I managed a nursing home we employed a chef who thought that the residents would like really fancy foods it bombed, and he was not prepared to change his menu's, so we got a cook she made soups, stews, mince and tatties ect, they loved the plain and simple cooking. Im going to have a go at the Homity pie it looks delicious.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Is the filling meant to set or be runny? Kind of looks loose or runny in the pics!! Sounds delicious!! I love cheese and potato pie, love anything with a pie crust!! This is a winner!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im sure they will love it, when I managed a nursing home we employed a chef who thought that the residents would like really fancy foods it bombed, and he was not prepared to change his menu's, so we got a cook she made soups, stews, mince and tatties ect, they loved the plain and simple cooking. Im going to have a go at the Homity pie it looks delicious.

yeah we've found that when one the "foody" staff tried to introduce la di da grub it bombed.
we do old school traditional grub now and it always goes down well

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I had plans to do this this evening but I was blooming nackered by the time I got home.
Will be doing it tomorrow though!

All the best
Andy

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I did this pie for dinner tonight... I managed to forget the onions :rolleyes: and used spring green cabbage instead of the spinach but it was delicious and got the ultimate accolade from the little wife 'Mmmm delicious, you can do this again' :D

1656192_10152040333353152_1919970246_n.jpg

10001370_10152040332798152_281432518_n.jpg

I'm honored you made it. Looks great. Same thing happened to me with the cream. My nan said I should have left it for 20mins to cool down.
When I reheated it 2days later it didn't run.

I recommend baked beans with the leftovers if there is any.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm honored you made it. Looks great. Same thing happened to me with the cream. My nan said I should have left it for 20mins to cool down.
When I reheated it 2days later it didn't run.

I recommend baked beans with the leftovers if there is any.

Thanks for the tip, I'll bear it in mind when I do it again :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I had plans to do this this evening but I was blooming nackered by the time I got home.
Will be doing it tomorrow though!

All the best
Andy

Right, actually got myself squared away today and it's just gone in the oven. I had to really fight myself not to eat loads when I'd just mixed it all together!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nom!

Added some left over mushrooms that needed using up. But didn't make enough pastry so had to do it a bit thin...
All the best
Andy

Last edited:

86inch

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2008
Lincolnshire
We make homity pie reasonably regularly, the kids love it. First had it from a bakery in Bakewell and sort-of reverse engineered it based on the flavours.
Never made a duffer as its so simple. Its really nice with stilton!

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Had a go at this tonight. Made some changes to the recipe, the wife isn't keen on spinach so used leeks instead and added bacon bits as well. Went down very nicely!! It was huge though and there is still half left to have cold over the weekend.

DSC_1049_zpspntqrcvn.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE