Homemade steel oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
After cooking another lot of jacket potatoes and more delicious pizzas, I thought it was about time I put a few pictures of my oven up.

I made it using 0.9mm stainless steel, pop rivets and bolts. The steel is doubled up on the bottom so the bottom layer is sacrificial if it burns through.
There is enough room inside for 5 decent sized jacket potatoes and a pizza (homemade of course). Potatoes take just over an hour but cant remember how long the pizzas took.

The oven on its maiden use.
IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

The cooked pizza.
IMG_2196.JPG

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Nice one. How heavy is it?

Have you seen the ex mod field ovens? Same principle, but a bit big to carry without a truck, they are double skinned on the sides and top, makes them more efficient.
Our scout group cooked jackets for 150 in it last year.

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Thanks for the comments everyone. I was quite pleased to find that it worked. Originally it was going to be a prototype but as it was successful I decided to leave it as it was. I have found 3 things that need to be improved.
Rothley bill - Don't know how heavy it is exactly but its not too heavy - just bulky. So it will just be used for car camping.
Peter t - It is easier to bury them in the fire but in the oven they dont burn quite so easily. Also I can try to cook all sorts of other stuff. Plus it was fun to make.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE