Home Office announces plans for Offensive Weapons Bill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
The ban of sulphuric acid, how is that likely to work regarding lead acid batteries? I would also like to know the definition of Zombie knife, it could be an awfully broad term.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like a right curate's egg, doesn't it ?
Bad enough in parts to taint the whole though.

M

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I am alsoalso concerned about the redefining of flick knives. It could have the potential to make Svord Peasant type knives illegal if a flick knife gets defined as a knife openable in one hand.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Poorly thought out legislation that clearly has not taken into account their consultation.

Many small crafts businesses are going to struggle.

It will be interesting to see how this legislation is introduced in practice.

No effect on buying cheap imports. How are they going define Zombie Knives etc.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
This is the bit from the press release that worries me:

“Other measures which the Home Office intends to bring forward within weeks include - Stopping knives being sent to residential addresses after they are bought online”.

Preper............ :(

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Wonder if they plan to restrict kitchen knifes too?
Because if ‘other’ knifes become hard to get, the crim will just switch to a kitchen knife.

Or, because it is cooler, to a chainsaw chain.

It is a situation the state can not win.

Reactions: Herman30

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
This is the bit from the press release that worries me:

“Other measures which the Home Office intends to bring forward within weeks include - Stopping knives being sent to residential addresses after they are bought online”.

Preper............ :(

Dont see a problem with that tbh, its a mild inconvenience to have to go to a Post Office with your driving licence or passport to collect it in person, after all, before the internet, you had to go to a shop to buy one anyway, at least they do not appear to have banned the online sales, just delivery to a residential address, time will tell when the full legislation is published, at the moment, its just a statement from the Home Office with no particular detail.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Wonder if they plan to restrict kitchen knifes too?
Because if ‘other’ knifes become hard to get, the crim will just switch to a kitchen knife.

Or, because it is cooler, to a chainsaw chain.

It is a situation the state can not win.

I've always assumed that the vast majority of knife crime is carried out with kitchen knives already, whenever the police show pictures from weapons seizures it's usually: one machete, two sharpened screwdrivers, a homemade knuckleduster, and Sabatier's back catalogue... I haven't seen any figures about the types of weapons used in recorded knife crime though so I'm just guessing really.

Kitchen knives are already restricted, you can't carry them in public and you have to be over 18 to buy them.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
The original October 2017 consultation documents (defining some of the criteria and implications) can be seen here :

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/offensive-and-dangerous-weapons-new-legislation

Updating the definition of a flick knife
England, Wales and Scotland The current definition of flick knives in the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959 is outdated and refers to the mechanism that activates the blade being in the handle. We will delete the reference to the switch blade mechanism being in the handle, as manufacturers now place the mechanism in a part of the knife that can be argued is part of the blade. This means the prohibition on the sale, manufacture and importing of flick knives cannot be circumvented through changes in their design.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The original October 2017 consultation documents (defining some of the criteria and implications) can be seen here :

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/offensive-and-dangerous-weapons-new-legislation

Updating the definition of a flick knife
England, Wales and Scotland The current definition of flick knives in the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959 is outdated and refers to the mechanism that activates the blade being in the handle. We will delete the reference to the switch blade mechanism being in the handle, as manufacturers now place the mechanism in a part of the knife that can be argued is part of the blade. This means the prohibition on the sale, manufacture and importing of flick knives cannot be circumvented through changes in their design.

Guessing they are aiming that at assisted openers. Never did figure out why flick and assisted openers were more dangerous. Other than the chance of it opening in your pocket!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Guessing they are aiming that at assisted openers. Never did figure out why flick and assisted openers were more dangerous. Other than the chance of it opening in your pocket!

“manufacturers now place the mechanism in a part of the knife that can be argued is part of the blade”.

My guess is that covers flippers.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
“manufacturers now place the mechanism in a part of the knife that can be argued is part of the blade”.

My guess is that covers flippers.

I hope not as that might include my Viper DAN sheepsfoot.
It has a halfway detente, so whilst technically it can be opened one handed in practice it is far easier two handed.
It's a lovely knife and a very handy slicer. I don't often open it in public as it might strike some as too aggressive, but in reality with the sheepsfoot blade it'd be useless as a stabbing weapon.

I abhor the idea of big brother style state intervention but at this point I think I'd prefer some sort of licensing system than what it looks like we're going to get...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I hope not as that might include my Viper DAN sheepsfoot.
It has a halfway detente, so whilst technically it can be opened one handed in practice it is far easier two handed.
It's a lovely knife and a very handy slicer. I don't often open it in public as it might strike some as too aggressive, but in reality with the sheepsfoot blade it'd be useless as a stabbing weapon.

I abhor the idea of big brother style state intervention but at this point I think I'd prefer some sort of licensing system than what it looks like we're going to get...

I think it has to be. No manufacturer is concealing springs within the actual blade. In fact, springs aren’t mentioned at all, it’s quite cleverly worded.

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
Dont see a problem with that tbh, its a mild inconvenience to have to go to a Post Office with your driving licence or passport to collect it in person, after all, before the internet, you had to go to a shop to buy one anyway, at least they do not appear to have banned the online sales, just delivery to a residential address, time will tell when the full legislation is published, at the moment, its just a statement from the Home Office with no particular detail.
That's quite a practical way of looking at it I guess. Maybe not perfect for everyone but nothing is.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
To be classified as a Zoombie killer, does it have to satisfy all three in the description of?
Sharp edge and serrated edge and picture or text
Thinking if they remove the text and pictures it is suddenly not that specific knife?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I think it has to be. No manufacturer is concealing springs within the actual blade. In fact, springs aren’t mentioned at all, it’s quite cleverly worded.

As I’ve said elsewhere Rich, I wouldn’t mind betting this superficial, cynical ploy and attempt at a vote winning “look, we’ve done something” for the benefit of the querulous and gullible sheeple, will also include one-handed openers too. As I look into my tea leaves, I foresee more cheap Spydies for sale than diesel cars.
Anyone want my B.B. Urban in exchange for a TBS Boar EDC folder??? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE