Home made Thumbstick #2

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Following my one off thumbstick made for me :D . I said that I would not get in to the habit of doing this.
Then my brother spotted it in the corner and beat me to a pulp for one for his Christmas prezzie.
Here's the end result. Chestnut stick overall length of 58", buffalo horn spacer and antler fork. Not bad for £5, its the cheapest prezzie I have ever got him, I just hope he likes it.

S8001723.jpg

S8001722.jpg

S8001721.jpg

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Very nice!
Just out of interest other than giving it a lovely finish does oiling/treating the wood have any benefits to the wood? I have a fav stick and often thought that I maybe should oil it.
D

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Very nice!
Just out of interest other than giving it a lovely finish does oiling/treating the wood have any benefits to the wood? I have a fav stick and often thought that I maybe should oil it.
D

Takeing in to consideration that the sticks I used have been seasond over two years, they are very dry, dry wood will absorb moisture like a sponge, so I felt it would be an idea to seal the sticks with french polish as they will get used in all weathers. You could use anything such as linseed oil, Danish oil or anything you fancy, I have used Walnut oil on knife handles.:)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks Chopper, I have used walnut oil on a knife handle myself recently and thought about using it on the stick. Mine is pretty damn dry now as it lives in the work van ready for when I fancy an impromptu walk.Gonna get the walnut oil out then...hmnnnn lovely smell.
Dave

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Just seen this - thats a beaut chopper - I hope these will be appearing for sale?

Red

I had'nt really thought of makeing them to sell, although it is an idea.

I am not sure that there would be a demand for these as I would have thought people would rather make their own, and I sholud lmagine the p+p would be heavy, as I am sure they would have to be sent by courier as it would be too long for Royal Mail.

I will look in to this, thanks for the idea BR. :) :) :)

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
realy nice work chopper. made a couple of walking sticks for family but not as good as that. think you will find there is a market for your sticks as a lot of people want them but just dont have the ability or the time to make there own. I would certainly buy one.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
I had'nt really thought of makeing them to sell, although it is an idea.

I am not sure that there would be a demand for these as I would have thought people would rather make their own, and I sholud lmagine the p+p would be heavy, as I am sure they would have to be sent by courier as it would be too long for Royal Mail.

I will look in to this, thanks for the idea BR. :) :) :)

theres plenty of demand for quality sticks like that! the couriers charge about £8 wether 1 or 50 sticks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE