Home made matches

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I think the thread was called "Sulphur matches from scratch part 1" and there was a earlier one "quicky sulphur match tutorial" when I used tea stirrers nicked from ASDA rather than making the splints from scratch.

Apart from them not blowing out the great advantage I've found with them is the saving on char cloth, rather than using a a whole or even several pieces since the match will light off a match head or pea sized hot spot you can snuff and reuse the piece of char several times.

ATB

Tom

Now I'm on a real computer and not a ----y iPad heres the link

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55198

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2012
essex
Thank you, think i will have a go at making some sulphur matches, after reading up on red phosphorous i think i will give it a miss, probably cant buy it in the uk too.
Had problems getting on here last night, the site wouldnt load, back now.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
so you use a fire lighting technique to light a fire starting medium to light a match to light a fire ? so i wasn't that far out in the first place :lmao:

Not quite. The point about sulphur matches is that from an ember you can instantly get a flame.
Using flint and steel you can get an ember. Apply tip of sulphur match to that ember and you get a flame. Saves all the huffing and puffing and dry tinder that you need normally to get the ember into a flame.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
oh, ok, thanks gents....

i dont mean to be down beat or anything but if you need flint & steel then why bother????would char cloth not be just as easy or cramp balls etc etc....

like i say not trying to take anything away from anyone, would just like some thoughts...:)

Ever tried lighting a candle from a flint and steel?

I use sulphur punks quite a lot in my living history work for lamps and lanthorns.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE