home made elderberry cordial after a stroll

4D_scumpunx

Nov 17, 2010
macclesfield
I have not done much walking this past month due to looking for a new job and wanted to post something good as I a new to this site and this is my first post.

The last walk I had which was by myself after waking up and wanting to go for a walk down the canal in macclesfield, I decided to take a few bags, packet of crisps, make note of a few plants and berries I wanted to gather.
So I decided on elderberrys as they were ripe and coming to an end i got my boots on, left the phone behind, got the headlamp and headed off... i found there had been many berrys already picked from the bushes i had found untill i got half way down the canal and found a huge mound of bushes, shining with elderberries all over the show.
so i gathered as much as i could and left a fair few for the birds n other foragers, I walked a good few 4-5 miles and then headed back just as the sun disappeared.
Having got home and already had bought the ingredients I set out the berries, put a few candles on and decided to make it that night, after a good hour of getting the berries free from stalk I boiled them rapidly, poured in the sugar, added some cinnamon, mixed spice and sat down reading some online bushcraft books.

It turned out amazing, although i had made way to much for me and my girlfriend, more than enough for a good 8-10 families i should say it was the tastiest drink ive had all year, great for when you can feel a cold coming on, or to cure a hangover.
I recommend making elderberry cordial to everyone.

What other cordials have people made? other recipes for elderberry cordials?

fordy (4d)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
What is the difference between a cordial and a squash?
I mean, you get lime cordial, but lemon and lime squash.
Does anyone know what the difference is?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i might have to give that a try at some point fordy, sounds good, what ratio of sugar to berries did you use?

oh, welcome to the forum

stuart

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What is the difference between a cordial and a squash?
I mean, you get lime cordial, but lemon and lime squash.
Does anyone know what the difference is?

According to the font of all Knowledge
wikipedia said:
Squash (sometimes referred to as cordial prior to mixing with water) is a sweetened or unsweetened fruit-based concentrate that is mixed with a liquid, most commonly still or carbonated water, before drinking. Squash is usually yellow. [1][2] It is also the name of the resulting drink.

4D_scumpunx

Nov 17, 2010
macclesfield
Ive allways known the difference to be.
squash - a concentrate mixed with additives, artificial colours/flavours
cordial - homemade concentrate, made from berrys/fruit mixed with just the right amount of sugar needed to keep it for a long time, but not 3-4 years

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE