Home made bread and butter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I give up.
I'm sorry, but I can't figure out how to post those photos of the gluten free tear and share. This is one of them with two others of gluten free tattie scones.
I'll see if we can fix it in the morning.

M

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, slightly different then; no rennet in our 'cottage' cheese. I think the stronger tasting sheep and goats milk will definitely produce a stronger cheese - though, of course, mozzarella is supposed to be buffalo milk!

Sorry Woody girl - we've drifted off the topic (again :))

Commercial crowdie is a different beast entirely.
Crowdie was made with the skimmed milk when making butter from the cream. Sometimes folks added a bit of buttermilk to it to give it a tang. It can be made from milk that's going sour and thick, and just strained like Greek yoghurt, but drained for a lot longer, iimmc ?
Nowadays rennet is easily available. In the past either folks had to kill a calf, or I know they said they could use a hen's stomach too, to get rennet. The vegetable ones folks used, nettles, lady's bedstraw, etc., they all colour the cheese. Lady's bedstraw makes a red cheddar colour :)

M

Reactions: Broch

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Don't worry Broch. I'm thinking of cheese making myself so it's interesting to read your ideas and comments.
Home made bread butter and cheese..... what else do you need :)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd an Aunt, really a cousin of my Mum, but we called them all, "Aunt or Uncle", who kept goats. Aunt Lena made goats cheese, and occasionally butter. I don't think goats milk is as creamy as cows, I know she didn't do it often and it was expensive, but folks who couldn't digest cow's milk often managed the goats milk, cheese and butter.
From what I can remember it takes a lot longer for the cream to separate from Goat's milk, so it needs to sit longer.
The butter was weird looking stuff, pure white almost like lard.
I remember reading something about the butterfat in goats’ milk years ago. Vaguely I remember that one of the reasons it’s more easily digestible os because the fat molecules are smaller and bind more solidly to the milk.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't know that, I just minded that goats milk had to sit longer and that it had to be kept cold, which wasn't always easy in my chilhood with very few fridges around. Ours was run from the same gas main as the cooker.

Reactions: santaman2000

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Gluten free bread is dire, it really is :sigh: Even the expensive stuff. Your wife has my complete sympathy and agreement. The best I've found, and this makes excellent pizza bases, not at all cardboardy, is the Lauck's stuff from Lakeland, but it's not cheap, and not in stock just now :sigh:

This recipe was so simple, Son2 polished off half of the batch for lunch :)
Hang on, I did take photos, but I need Himself to download them and send me them in a format that I can post here, but the original recipe came from here
He can't manage chilli easily sometimes, so I just used a tomato and garlic sauce as the topping. Just a heaped teaspoonful on the top of each of the rolls that make the bread, and then added some grated cheese :)
....and better yet, it uses GF self raising flour...and Dove's Farm are selling a 16kg bag just now. Delivered the next day (got mine last week, so I know it's working even in this lock down) for under £29 in total. I'm feeding two gluten free adults, I reckon this was well worth it, especially when I can't get any in the local supermarkets.

If your Missus does something clever and tasty with Gluten Free, would you let me know ? Inspiration's always a good thing :)

M

Excellent, thank you for that. I may have to join you with the with the tomato and garlic topping. The check valve at the top of my stomach is knackered so spicy food hurts like hell in the evening.

My wife often does; GF pancakes for breakfast, Chapatti Pizza bases and, GF courgette cake. The courgette cake is fantastic with some poppy seeds in the mix and doesn't dry out at all.

We might have to try the butter with lactose free cream, it's something I've not done before.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd like the courgette cake recipe if you have time, please ? GF cake that doesn't dry out is a good thing :) the commercial ones are full of gums and weird hydrating stuffs.

GF pancakes work well :) and it makes a good crispy tempura batter for veggies if you add some corn meal into the mix.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I'd like the courgette cake recipe if you have time, please ? GF cake that doesn't dry out is a good thing :) the commercial ones are full of gums and weird hydrating stuffs.

GF pancakes work well :) and it makes a good crispy tempura batter for veggies if you add some corn meal into the mix.

It's a BBC one, just swap normal stuff for gluten and lactose free, works a treat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE