Home made bread and butter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Was very busy yesterday but managed to make some butter20200426_172540.jpg20200426_174725.jpg20200426_174200.jpg20200426_172540.jpg20200426_174200.jpg20200426_174725.jpg
So this morning I made some soda bread and I'm looking forward to having some delicious garlicky soda bread for tea.
I made the soda bread plain though I was tempted to make it cheesy, but then I'm not sure if it would go with my freshly made plum jam.20200427_111725.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Sorry got in a muddle with the photos and posted them twice. You all know what a dunce I am with this techy stuff. No idea how I did that or how to sort it.... ah well enjoy the pics twice over!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Looks lovely! What did you make the butter from?

I love how soda bread and other quick breads taste best straight away so you can use that as an excuse to go through it quickly.

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Looks lovely! What did you make the butter from?

I love how soda bread and other quick breads taste best straight away so you can use that as an excuse to go through it quickly.

Double cream! Whisked up with an electric hand mixer then squeezed with wooden spoons to get all the buttermilk out. washed in iced water to get last of buttermilk out. ..... don't throw the buttermilk away save for the soda bread.... salted a pinch of Marldon sea salt at a time untill flavour is right then chopped garlic added. Easy!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Oooh, is there any chance you can share the recipe for that? My wife is gluten free and finding good bread is difficult, it normally just ends up dry as a bone.

Mmmm, me second that too please dear Toddy!. I miss a decent tear and share.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oooh, is there any chance you can share the recipe for that? My wife is gluten free and finding good bread is difficult, it normally just ends up dry as a bone.

Gluten free bread is dire, it really is :sigh: Even the expensive stuff. Your wife has my complete sympathy and agreement. The best I've found, and this makes excellent pizza bases, not at all cardboardy, is the Lauck's stuff from Lakeland, but it's not cheap, and not in stock just now :sigh:

This recipe was so simple, Son2 polished off half of the batch for lunch :)
Hang on, I did take photos, but I need Himself to download them and send me them in a format that I can post here, but the original recipe came from here
He can't manage chilli easily sometimes, so I just used a tomato and garlic sauce as the topping. Just a heaped teaspoonful on the top of each of the rolls that make the bread, and then added some grated cheese :)
....and better yet, it uses GF self raising flour...and Dove's Farm are selling a 16kg bag just now. Delivered the next day (got mine last week, so I know it's working even in this lock down) for under £29 in total. I'm feeding two gluten free adults, I reckon this was well worth it, especially when I can't get any in the local supermarkets.

If your Missus does something clever and tasty with Gluten Free, would you let me know ? Inspiration's always a good thing :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mmmm, me second that too please dear Toddy!. I miss a decent tear and share.

This one was good, it was simple (don't miss the oil trick, it really helps, even if some blighter phones when you're covered in the stuff :rolleyes2: ) really tasty, and it was a tear and share, albeit a GF one, so not quite bread/bread iimmc ? I've written it down in my GF recipe book :)

There are other recipes on that site (sorry it's full of adverts, I suppose that's how she makes a bit from it though) that I fancy trying too :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you ever made butter with cream other than of a cow? I guess ut would worj depending on the fat content.

I'd an Aunt, really a cousin of my Mum, but we called them all, "Aunt or Uncle", who kept goats. Aunt Lena made goats cheese, and occasionally butter. I don't think goats milk is as creamy as cows, I know she didn't do it often and it was expensive, but folks who couldn't digest cow's milk often managed the goats milk, cheese and butter.
From what I can remember it takes a lot longer for the cream to separate from Goat's milk, so it needs to sit longer.
The butter was weird looking stuff, pure white almost like lard.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You are showing such restraint to turn your double cream into butter instead of eating it as it is.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well tengu I'd bought a large pot of cream as that was all the shop had. I only had one punnet of raspberries so there was a lot left over. Also there was no butter in the shop and I fancied making wild garlic butter for the freezer so I've got some later in the year. Plus there was the by product of buttermilk for the soda bread... as that too is missing from the local shop. Plus it is something I like to do once or twice a year to keep my hand in.
I don't do much dairy work anymore but I'm now thinking maybe some soft cheese is on the menu soon.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't do much dairy work anymore but I'm now thinking maybe some soft cheese is on the menu soon.

My Mum used to make butter out of cream and use two wooden butter pats with ridges in to mould it together and squeeze out the milk. But then, for some perverse reason, she would also make cream out of butter by putting it through some weird pumping device with milk! :dunno:

I've made cottage cheese frequently and quite like it (again, something my Mum did). But I've also made mozzarella cheese which is far, far superior to the bland tasting stuff in the shops - the trouble is, 3 times out of 4, it comes out as curd cheese :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Mum used to make butter out of cream and use two wooden butter pats with ridges in to mould it together and squeeze out the milk. But then, for some perverse reason, she would also make cream out of butter by putting it through some weird pumping device with milk! :dunno:

I've made cottage cheese frequently and quite like it (again, something my Mum did). But I've also made mozzarella cheese which is far, far superior to the bland tasting stuff in the shops - the trouble is, 3 times out of 4, it comes out as curd cheese :(

I make Crowdie which is a soft cheese, but I think I'm going to suss out how to make Haloumi :)

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I make Crowdie which is a soft cheese, but I think I'm going to suss out how to make Haloumi :)

I think your Crowdie is the same as my Mum used to make - cheese that curds from its own acids as it starts to 'go off' (for want of a better word). After it's hung in a muslin cloth all we add to it is a little salt.

I've just had to look up Haloumi; it sounds like mozzarella but with goat or sheep's cheese; is that right?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just add veggie rennet to warm milk. My Granny used real rennet, but sometimes they used stuff like nettles to kick start the curds. It's certainly better flavoured if you use milk that's not new/new. So maybe on the acid turn ?

Haloumi seems to be harder, firmer and has more taste to it than mozzarella I find. It's certainly got a lot more salt :)

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah, slightly different then; no rennet in our 'cottage' cheese. I think the stronger tasting sheep and goats milk will definitely produce a stronger cheese - though, of course, mozzarella is supposed to be buffalo milk!

Sorry Woody girl - we've drifted off the topic (again :))

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE