Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Here's mine; The fire bowl and hinges all fit in the pot along with enough space for about 6 main meals depending on what you pack! (The cup and bottle are for scale purposes only!)

CIMG0909.JPG

CIMG0910.JPG

CIMG0912.JPG

CIMG0911.JPG

Chris

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Here's mine; The fire bowl and hinges all fit in the pot along with enough space for about 6 main meals depending on what you pack! (The cup and bottle are for scale purposes only!)

Chris

chris, i am taking that idea, totally and utterly LOL

nice idea, looks light also

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
It is. If you're only going out for a while then the fire bowl and a tin cup are all that you need which you could easily lose in a pocket. The fire bowl is about 13cm across and about 3cm tall when folded in. I'm yet to try it this way but I recon that hexi blocks would be perfect if you just wanted a brew/noodle lunch.

Next thing to make is a metal lid for the Dutch patern cup.

Chris

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Yup, but I can't take the credit for it. Someone else on here (sorry don't remember who) bought a reprint of a 1930's book and then posted details of it and many of us have copied it since.

Chris

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
More or less the same as the one you first showed us Gary. Strainer from Ikea and billy from Morrisons with a brake cable bail arm

DSC00687.jpg

Only thing I`ve changed is instead of using scewers for the pan supports I`ve used a fan cover from an old pc. I`ve put a handle on the billy lid which I can screw off when I pack it, once the grill goes on it keeps it all secure and doesn`t rattle anymore.

DSC00688.jpg

Steel cup and brew kit inside, nothing flash just nescafe sachets from hotel rooms and a mini nalgene with sugar and milk powder in.

nearly there ...
DSC00690.jpg

lovely.....
DSC00691.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I use the fan covers for my little trangia pot support that is part of my two pot hobo stove, when the missus hasn't hidden half the bits for it! It allows me to cook with the hobo and put a quick brew on with the trangia burner. Of course, the hobo is multi fuel as it can also use the trangia burner.

0803300011.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Latest tinkering just in!
Pot raisers and smaller dia pot supports in one. This idea was sugested in my origonal thread by mace242, so I thought id make some, there great duel function and save on space and weight. They pack away inside the sweety tin with the trangia on top.

Another prob I wanted to sort was stability. The other bits in the tin are to peg the stove to the ground (4 of) and raise at the same time to ovoid scorching and increase some air flow while maintaining a bed of embers. The extra lid that raises the stove goes over the trangia and tin.

Hopefully thats it now. :) Addo.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I was lookin at mateys in that youtube clip, and at first i thought it was too flimsy, but cos it fits his pot so perfectly, the rigidity dont much matter. which got me thinking as to whether it need be a fixed size container at all. so i might play around with some thin metal sheet. something that can be rolled and hooked to fit a pot, but perhaps adjustable to allow me to use bigger pots, but scould be rolled tighter to fit inside the pot for storage. obviously that costs me the base, but im not sure if thats any loss?

I was lookin at mateys in that youtube clip, and at first i thought it was too flimsy, but cos it fits his pot so perfectly, the rigidity dont much matter. which got me thinking as to whether it need be a fixed size container at all. so i might play around with some thin metal sheet. something that can be rolled and hooked to fit a pot, but perhaps adjustable to allow me to use bigger pots, but scould be rolled tighter to fit inside the pot for storage. obviously that costs me the base, but im not sure if thats any loss?

That idea could have its uses but would basically be an open fire wouldn't it?
The beauty of a hobo is that you can move it about whilst burning, ie if the wind changes, or you go to join someone else and take your fire with you:D

my humble opinion though

Bodge:)

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
The beauty of a hobo is that you can move it about whilst burning, ie if the wind changes, or you go to join someone else and take your fire with you

Yeah, i think youre probably right, im just bugged cos i cant find that perfect size pot, but it aint like theres any rush

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I am a convert after originally being sceptical as to the merits of these stoves. I tried one out of curiosity and immediately saw the benefits, fast boil times with little fuel etc:. I only use natural fuel like wood etc: with no intention of using small meths burners or similar so my experience is limited to this, pine cones are excellent and I want to use it purely for natural fuels, therefore my needs of stove design are more simplified than if I was using multiple fuels. I am in the process of making my ideal stove, at first I just used one of those Ikea utensil holders to try it and as it was already full of holes just bent some wire into shape placing it over pot, it needed no further modification for simple use with wood only. Depending on circumstances sometimes for cooking I only go out with a crusader mug but at other times I may take an MSR cooking pot as I like the wider and lower size compared to the more usual Zebra like billy, for these pots I am in the process of trying to make a hobo that will accommodate the MSR and still be very compact, I want to keep the ‘low’ profile so hobo will pack easily possibly even inside pot, for this I am experimenting with a ‘’telescopic’’ hobo stove as it will need to be higher than pot of course for efficiency. The Ikea job I am using will not accommodate a zebra billy or similar so is not ‘’space friendly’’ with packing and as I have to make another one anyway because of this then it will be of different dimensions to suit my cooking pot. The pots on photo are the usual crusader with home-made lid, my MSR with added wire on handle for allowing either ‘handle’ use or ‘suspension’ over fire, a cheap though excellent pot the same size as a zebra billy, this last is excellent over a hobo with it’s handle but with no bail unsuitable for suspension, and the temporary hobo.

2900111111111111111.jpg

Yeah, i think youre probably right, im just bugged cos i cant find that perfect size pot, but it aint like theres any rush

What size billy do you have then?
Maybe someone else has the same and could advise as to which s/s container you should go for.
I personally took my bulldog billy with me round a few shops and checked the cannisters out whilst instore, I ended up with one from Wilkinson.

Somewhere out there is the perfect sized cannister for your billy can:D

Bodge

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
There are 3 ss canisters with good lids for a fiver at wilcos at the mo. Labeled coffee tea and suger. There all the same size, a tad smaller than a 10cm zebra and one fits inside the ikea drainer ok. Your mug fits under your bottle and I take it and that msr looks like it would fit top and bottom of the drainer if you wanted more cooking pots.
Theres no perfect way but that might work. (Have to make a bail arm and lid loop for the ss if over a fire as well of course).

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
What size billy do you have then?
Maybe someone else has the same and could advise as to which s/s container you should go for.
I personally took my bulldog billy with me round a few shops and checked the cannisters out whilst instore, I ended up with one from Wilkinson.

Somewhere out there is the perfect sized cannister for your billy can:D

Bodge

that aint a bad idea, my drainers a homebase one and its 12cm diameter (with the roll top on outside) so if anyone knows wheres good to get 11cm wide stainless cannisters, be grateful

edit today,(28 sept) just back from boot and i reckon im sorted now cheers

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
has anyone found a 'stove' that will fit a 12cm zebra? - all the ones I have looked at are too small (I've even resorted to carrying a piece of card cut to the diameter of the billy:D)

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
im sorted now cheers, tho drilling holes in the cannisters was fun. i ended up using engraving bits on a dremel and pushing them through when it was red hot n soft, (always pays to have right tools for the job. . . lol) killed a bit per hole, but it worked. used a bicycle spoke for a bail which amazingly does fit in the stove attached, but its easy to remove too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE