Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
CIMG0912.JPG

Chris

I absolutely bloody LOVE that. All good ideas are worth copying.
The hinges are obvious enough, but where did you get the folding sieve thingy?

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife

the folding thing, from what i believe, is a grate used to stop vegetable peelings and such not go down a plug hole, never seen one that big before (stop sniggering you lot in the back)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
the Folding thingy is a steamer, you put in in a pan with water in the bottom, it holds the veg out of the water, and steams your veg without the goodness leeching in to the water.
cheap too

The steamer's are hinged to fit different pans. The Chinese use them to steam, veg, marinated pork mince, buns, dumplings, whatever.

They also steam Chinese preserved meats, which can be delicious and will last for many months. I believe for this reason the Chinese issue personal field cookset is specifically designed to accommodate steaming.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The steamer's are hinged to fit different pans. The Chinese use them to steam, veg, marinated pork mince, buns, dumplings, whatever.

They also steam Chinese preserved meats, which can be delicious and will last for many months. I believe for this reason the Chinese issue personal field cookset is specifically designed to accommodate steaming.

You can't make a comment like that and not post a photo!

Ogri the trog

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Going to have to go and play, but before I do, got a question, aimed in Wayland's direction.

A true Hobo stove has two sets of holes, on opposite sizes, which makes for a chimely effect.

Does more holes make a big difference?

Also why have the bottom holes if you are going to have the big feed hole?

The main reason I am asking these questions, is I am thinking of making one from a set of mess tins, so carry two sets a cooking set, and a cooker set.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm no expert, but it seemed to me that I wanted good air flow from bottom to top through the fuel to get good combustion.

the feed hole is above the bottom to stop stuff falling out, so I put some holes near the base for the air intake.

The top of the stove is not a perfect fit which lets the airflow out again, as you say, creating a chimney effect

I found my stove worked better with holes at the bottom and exit at the top than holes all around like the Ikea Drainer. I think mainly it was a wind thing, but I have been working on a new design which pre heats the air which then enters all around the combustion chamber and that seems to work very well.

Incidentally, I was in Ikea the other day and they've started selling a taller version of their drainer which could be interesting.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I'm no expert, but it seemed to me that I wanted good air flow from bottom to top through the fuel to get good combustion.

the feed hole is above the bottom to stop stuff falling out, so I put some holes near the base for the air intake.

The top of the stove is not a perfect fit which lets the airflow out again, as you say, creating a chimney effect

I found my stove worked better with holes at the bottom and exit at the top than holes all around like the Ikea Drainer. I think mainly it was a wind thing, but I have been working on a new design which pre heats the air which then enters all around the combustion chamber and that seems to work very well.

Incidentally, I was in Ikea the other day and they've started selling a taller version of their drainer which could be interesting.

Yeah, noticed the taller drainer online. Also have you seen these?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00113648

Larger and not as nice shape to carry, but wonder if the cone shape would help direct the heat to around a billy, assuming the top is wide enough to get one in. Sadly lacking dimensions.
Also the silicone lid might be nice to hold the rest of the kit in there when carrying.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yeah, noticed the taller drainer online. Also have you seen these?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00113648

Larger and not as nice shape to carry, but wonder if the cone shape would help direct the heat to around a billy, assuming the top is wide enough to get one in. Sadly lacking dimensions.
Also the silicone lid might be nice to hold the rest of the kit in there when carrying.

Yep, did notice that.

Brought to mind the Caldera type stoves.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Im gonna endorse the homebase drainer, i cant do pics but i noticed huntersforge has one identical to mine (and shall now attempt to cut and paste his picture)

P9220473.jpg

did that work? Its 16.5cm tall by a fraction over 12cm in diameter, but the rolled top is on the outside, and all others ive seen are annoyingly on the inside.

:) EDIT hurray my computering skills know no bounds! erm

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham

This Picture from wiki seems to go with that.

Hobo_stove_convection_2.jpg

There do seem to be a lot of fan powered modern versions.

N

noddynigel

I would like to thank everyone who has posted
this is just a shopping list

Homebase s/s utensil holder £3.99

Wilkinsons s/s small canister £1.99
s/s skewers 4 £0.59

poundstretcher
s/s large canister £4.00
also at wilkies

total £10.57

out with the tools!

noddynigel

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
noddynigel. We now of course expect a tutorial LOL.

Good luck, as soon as my busy period ends a hobo stove is on my list of projects to do, along with trying to figure out how i can use my 4 weeks holiday and 2 weeks of flexi time i have built up, before the end of december LOL

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Ok, not quite finished, and still virgin as far as fire is concerned, but it is about time i showed off my "Russian doll hobo stove setup". You will note that a lot of ideas from this forum have been incorporated into this 'thing' and i appologise if anyone is upset by the shear disregard for copyright and patent laws.:)

First we see how it packs up (minus it's 'lil green bag). And it weighs 2 1/2 lbs.
It's a single wall ice bucket i picked up for a fiver and is 14cm dia and 17cm tall.
Hobo&

Next we see a 'lil white rim, this is a windshield tucked inside the billy.
DSCF2442.jpg

Unloading the bits n bobs inside the billy we have a KFS(knife,fork,spoon), a pair of tongs that came with the ice bucket(i figured these would be good for loading charcoal into the stove), two modified tent pegs(for the mini stove), and the main stove pot stand (made from an old printer ink head guide bar).
DSCF2443.jpg

Next we see the Ikea drainer (nuff sed).
DSCF2444.jpg

The unloaded windsheild.
DSCF2445.jpg

The medium sized billy (10cm dia 12cm tall)(£1 plus a 50p knob plus 30p's worth of stainless cycle brake cable).
DSCF2446.jpg

The mini stove is revealed (forget where i got this).
DSCF2447.jpg

Now the micro billy (9cm dia 12cm tall)(still to be fitted with knod and bail).
DSCF2448.jpg

Inside that we have my folding handle mug (probable the most expensive part of the setup), and a fan guard for in the bottom of the mini stove ta aid air flow.
DSCF2449.jpg

The mug holds coffee, tea sugar, waterproof match case and pot handle. Plus we see how the medium and micro billy's sit on the two stoves.
DSCF2450.jpg

The big billy can sit on top of the big stove or.......
DSCF2451.jpg

.....be suspended above it on the lightweight tripod i made tonight.
Dscf2452.jpg

Thanks for looking, had fun planning and making, giddy about using them for the first time at Middlemud.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Superb stuff Tony

And oh so shiney, needs blacking up a touch mate.

That`s a really nice setup you`ve got there, will you carry them all as a trail stove or just pick and choose ?

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Pick and choose i think, the mini stove and micro billy (with me mug inside) pack really small (about the size of an 800ml water bottle) ..... when i've fitted the knob n bail that is.

Oh, and happy birthday for yesterday. Ooops, make that the day before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE