Honey Stove or Vargo Heaxgon Stove???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I am tied between two stoves, I want to use wood to burn rather than a trangia or solid fuel blocks and the two I am torn between both have different benefits.

The Honey Stove has a grill on the top for food items, the facility to enlarge it with the hive kit and the option to use a trangia if I ever change my mind.

The Vargo Hexagon looks good and folds up rather than flat pack and looks a bit more compact but I don't know if it will be any good for anything more than boiling a brew?

Maybe I have already made my mind up? :confused:

any one used both? or found "issues"" when using one or the other?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
After using both in the past I'm now looking to get the Folding fire box.
It doesn't need any assembly and will do what the others do.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
+1 for folding firebox i bought my dad the bigger 5" one for his birthday after i'd had the nano for a year or so.
they are both great little stoves

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
Don't get me wrong, i do like the Honey stove but for what it is I find it quite expensive for £44 delivered, even though it is a bit bigger, unless your cooking a 3 course meal I don't think the extra couple of cm really matters IMO.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Well, i feel i can weigh in again on this having just this morning recieved a honey stove from a member on here

Its a grand little stove and rock solid once its set up.......but the setting up, what a palaver compared to a folding firebox

The honey feels like a design student's project compared to the slick and polished firebox. No contest for me, firebox everytime. Esp at similar price points

.....adam

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I found the Honey gets easier and quicker with practice but I tend to go with my woodgas most of the time now.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I found the Honey gets easier and quicker with practice but I tend to go with my woodgas most of the time now.

I'm sure it does mate, and i did have quite a few goes at it to get a feel for it. But its just like my old woodland edge stove....its never gonna be as quick and easy as a (mostly) folding stove (esp in winter) or as you say. A fixed woodgas type

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I'm sure it does mate, and i did have quite a few goes at it to get a feel for it. But its just like my old woodland edge stove....its never gonna be as quick and easy as a (mostly) folding stove (esp in winter) or as you say. A fixed woodgas type

Yeah a shame though as mine was a gift and I no longer give it the use it deserves.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants

Same here. I scratched the honey stove itch and then sold it on. Kept the woodgas stove and the evernew small stove, between them and an open fire they cover everything I need, no fuss :)

Cheers, Paul

I had both, but now only have the honey stove and the square plate for it it allows me to use it primarily as a wood stove and my Crusader mug fits on nicely as does my Pathfinder bottle and the Zebra Billy Can.

I prefer the wider top opening of the Honey stove.

in the square configuration i can use my Meths stove, Normally do this for my first brew in the morning, then use wood for the rest of the day..

The Honey stove an be a bit fiddly especially with cold hands, but like some one said earlier it does become easier the more you use it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE