When a day turns to something special... (lots of pictures!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Last sunday started quite normal. We stayed at my father-in-laws house, as our vegetable garden is located here. I didn't feel like weeding the greenhouse, so I worked to finish my spoon.
190513_0001.jpg

After lunch there was no excuse not to do any garden work, but after the coffe break in the afternoon I decided that I take a walk in the nearby forest. It was weeks ago since I last went there, and there was still some snow left. I expected to see some changes now ;)

I only took my small hipbag with my camera, a small knife and some safety items with me. On the way to the forest yellow was the dominant color.
190513_0002.jpg

There were some cute hairy pigs and some sheep, and a hare sitting close to the street and we watched each other before the hare decided to leave (no picture of that, sorry)
190513_0003.jpg

After a 20 minute walk I finally reached the forest.
I love these strange looking roots, looks like some phantasy creature!
190513_0004.jpg

There were small patches of violetts
190513_0005.jpg

And someone was feeding on spruce cones (I guess a mouse? Still waiting for my book on tracks and signs...)
190513_0006.jpg

Birch polypores on a dead birch
190513_0007.jpg

This is a huge douglas fir. I admire this old tree each time I come by, but I am afraid the picture doesn't show it's majesty...
190513_0008.jpg

Then I spotted this...
190513_0009.jpg

I was quite excited as I have never seen such clear signs of a fox (and only seen a fox once in the last 10 years in that area). And then I looked closer and got even more excited:
190513_0010.jpg

This was only a few metres away from the forest track, and it didn't look as if it was in use for the last few days. But finding a fox-hole was really special for me, I have never discovered one before! I will keep an eye on this one, maybe one day I will see the fox that made it. I doubt that this will be used for breeding as it is really close to a frequented forest track (lots of dogs, too), but it takes some efford to dig such a hole, and maybe I can find out what it is used for one day.

Lots of woodruff patches at this time of year
190513_0011.jpg

And dead trees for the woodpeckers
190513_0012.jpg

A lovely arrangement of ferns and mushrooms
190513_0013.jpg

And a still not identified seeding flower
190513_0014.jpg

Even more unnamed things on a wet, rotten log
190513_0015.jpg

Then I found some dead birch, and as always when I find dead birch I collect some bark. Here was an especially good looking piece lying on the ground, but when I picked it up this beautiful creature was sleeping underneath it! I took some pictures and then put the bark back.
190513_0016.jpg

I never have seen a fire salamander in the woods here, and I couldn't believe what a lucky day that was! First a fox-hole, and now a fire salamander!

To add to my excitement the clouds dissappeared and sunlight flooded the forest.
190513_0017.jpg

Home of a woodpecker
190513_0018.jpg

Beauty in small things
190513_0019.jpg

And beauty in huge things
190513_0020.jpg

On my way back "home" I cross a small valley. In the early evening sun a really beautiful place!
190513_0021.jpg

190513_0022.jpg

190513_0023.jpg

190513_0024.jpg

Behind this barn I have often see roe deer. Not today, but wonderful light instead.
190513_0025.jpg

Neighbour's cat enjoying the sun
190513_0026.jpg

Of course I found some birch bark with no salamander under it
190513_0027.jpg

Back home the day was finished with some meat on the grill
190513_0028.jpg

This was already a perfect and exciting day. But after dinner I decided if I could find the roe deer that are living in the small forest patches close to the house. It was around sunset, so I just took my binoculars and my little point-and-shoot camera with me. I found two of them on a meadow close to the forest, so I decided to try to get close to them from the forest. I came quite close and stood at a beech tree to watch them, but then a jaybird betrayed me. To my amazement the deer didn't run away, but the roebuck started to bark at me and strud while trying to find out what exactly was the cause of the alarming jaybird. What an experience! After a moment I wasn't sure what would happen next. Would he even attack me, thinking I was another roebuck?! So I decided to move a little bit to let him see me, and as expected they turned and ran away (but still barking). I have seen deer close up, and I have seen deer run away from me, but a deer barking at me was another new and exciting experience.
190513_0029.jpg

What an exciting and wonderful day! Sometimes all you have to do is go out for a walk, and of course open your eyes. :eek:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Some awesome experiences there. Thanks for sharing. Love the 22nd pick. And I am also a fan of huge trees. They are awesome.:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Very nice walk report Turnstone. Great pictures to capture a great day out. Sounds like a nice spot your folks have to live in. The big Douglas firs are wonderful, the first one to be planted in the UK (1829) was in the grounds of the estate I used to work on and is a beauty. Love the smell of them.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a great report, Turnstone. Sounds and looks as if you really enjoyed your walk, very well described and good pictures too! Thanks for posting this......atb mac.

P.S. Where in Germany are you? It looks lovely.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Fabulous day, and a salamander is a great find. I really enjoyed reading that report.

By the way, I'm jealous of your woodruff patches. If you don't know this one, try picking a few stems and sticking them in a jug and filling it with apple juice. Leave a few hours in the fridge or overnight. The result is ambrosial.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Thanks for all your comments! Glad you like the pictures and the report.

The hills and the forest are located in the Wiehengebirge in north western Germany. It's relatively quiet, not many tourists around, and when you meet people they are usually runners or walking their dog. It's a beautiful landscape, but you have to look closer to get it. Nothing spectacular.

My parents-in-law live at the foot of those hills, no car required to get there from their house! But as I "normally" live in a city about 50 kms away from there it is alway a two sided medal. I love being out there during the weekends. It's quiet, the forest is close, we have a wonderful garden. But being a guest at my parents-in-laws house almost every weekend is a high price for that. I don't have a problem with them, they are wonderful people, but it is not my home, I don't have the things around I might need, have to eat what they cook and have to be there at mealtimes. And in bad weather there is no place for me where I can retreat with a good book and a cup of tea (tea is not possible there, the water is so hard that every tea gets spoiled)...

@Harvestman: Thanks! I know that I can use it to flavour drinks. Here it's mostly used for "may punch".

@Mesquite: that's what I thought after seeing the pictures. But I have already submitted another picture.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Just a quick update! Saturday I had the chance to come back to the fox-hole. Nothing new there, just a spiderweb that was there the week before was gone.
250513_0005.jpg

About 500m from the fox-hole I found this, but it looks old, too.
250513_0011.jpg

250513_0012.jpg

250513_0013.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE