Hide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Hi folks, I haven't posted this one before because I was waiting for the stuff to clear customs. As some of you know every now and again I come up with the crazy idea that I can make moccasins. My major problem has been getting hide of sufficient quality and quantity in the UK.

Well I came across a seller on E-Bay that has provided me with good quality hide at a good price for the quantity I purchased, here's a link for any that are interested.

I hope this is of use to people:)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
leon-1 said:
Hi folks, I haven't posted this one before because I was waiting for the stuff to clear customs. As some of you know every now and again I come up with the crazy idea that I can make moccasins. My major problem has been getting hide of sufficient quality and quantity in the UK.

Well I came across a seller on E-Bay that has provided me with good quality hide at a good price for the quantity I purchased, here's a link for any that are interested.

I hope this is of use to people:)

I have been trawling all the charity shops in town for the last couple of weeks looking for leather at cheap prices so I can start having a go at making things, and this has been here for nearly a month. DOH!!!!

I have an aquaintance who runs a leather furniture factory, and I'm wondering if it is worth asking him if he has scraps that I could do anything with. Can anyone give any pointers to good introductory resources on leatherworking? Is furniture leather likely to be any use for anything bushcrafty, or will it be too thick / too thin / tanned the wrong way or whatever?

I appreciate that this is a bit of a lazy question, but if anyone can give me a few starting hints it will probably save me a load of time. :D

Ta,
Ben

H

Heathenpeddler

Most upholstery leather will not be veg-tan which means you won't be able to wet-form it but it's fine for other uses like possibles pouches or similar.

leon-1

Heaten peddler is correct, soft possibles pouches, sugar bags and the like.

Dependant on the weight you may be able to make other things from it.

A rule of thumb is for every ounce in weight leather averages 0.4mm in thickness.

Greg said:
I have been trawling all the charity shops in town for the last couple of weeks looking for leather at cheap prices so I can start having a go at making things, and this has been here for nearly a month. DOH!!!!

I have been searching all over for places, nearly bought from them a long time ago, but due to being laid off at work hadn't been able to afford what I wanted.
I came into some money, so I bought what I needed. I wouldn't have posted a link untill I knew what kind of service you would receive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE