Hi everybody, moved to Manchester

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 14, 2008
Manchester
As the title says, hello.

I moved to Manchester a year ago but still worked over in Yorkshire so I didnt really ever get to know the surrounding area. Well now I work here too and I would really like to get to know the place a little better.

It sounds melodramatic but I really need to get out of the city... regularly. Could anybody suggest some wild places where I could practice a little bushcraft, go for walks and forget all about work?

many thanks in advance

John

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It's only an hour to the Lakes . Less to Bowland and close to Welsh Wales as well.
And you have Clas Ohlsen on your doorstep.
Nicely placed really.
Cheers , Simon

Jan 14, 2008
Manchester
Thanks Simon, I havent been up to the lakes in about 5 years so I think a trip is in order. Bowland looks like a must so I think thats where I will be heading in a couple of weeks.
Will also investigate Clas Ohlsen.
Cheers

John

Last edited:

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Welcome to Manchester, John. Having lived in and around Manchester for the last 55 years, I know the area very well. What part of Manchester do you live, and what sort of area are you looking for? I can point you in the right places.

Alan

Jan 14, 2008
Manchester
Hi Alan, thankyou very much for your offer to help.

I live in Levenshulme and am really just looking for places to escape the city. I moved in with my partner a year ago, though she is very much a city girl I am definately not a city fella. Now I am no longer travelling across the Penines I feel like I never get out of the city.

I guess I am looking for places where I can do some hiking, practice a bit of bushcraft, say woodland, moorland etc and also places that are not too wild where I can encourage my partner to come along. She seems receptive to the idea of walks but I would like to ease her into it all (made the mistake of taking her camping at Glen Coe a couple of years back and she still hasnt forgiven me).

Cheers

John

You really are spoilt for choice in Manchester, as Plastic-Ninja said, you're central to lots of areas like the Lakes and Wales. But if you are looking for shorter trips, you have Holcombe Moor on your doorstep, the moors beyond Rochdale are wild and open with lots of walking, mountain biking and the occasional crag for climbing, Rivington is not far away and is great for trips out with the other half, you get to play outdoors and as a reward they get to browse Botany Bay on the way home! There are numerous smaller areas like Tandle Hill country park, where you can walk just a few minutes from the car park, be away from the crowds and alone in the woods to try out your skills.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
What he said....and a whole lot more. If your partner isn't into the really wild country, I can think of plenty of good places to go. It might be a good idea to meet up and have a good natter about places you could go with her, and also some wild places out on the moors for lone trips. If you want to meet up, you could PM me on here, or e-mail theratcatcher@live.co.uk, and we could arrange something.

Alan

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Hi John

+1 on what Silentbob and the Ratcatcher have said. I'm a Manchester ex-pat now living in Yorkshire. I grew up around Oldham (played on Tandle Hill all the time as a kid) and there are loads of great outdoor places to visit. Here's a link but there's loads more http://www.getoutguide.co.uk/gtrmanchester/gtrmanchester_outdoors.htm

Did lots of my formative outdoor activities as a scout on Saddleworth Moor which gives a real sense of space for somewhere not far from the city. Enjoy your Mancunian adventures!

Mike

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Welcome to the city mate.

Lakes, Snowdonia, Dales, Peaks and you are just about in the middle.

Mike, Tandle hill is where I regularly go foraging for mushrooms and the odd picture too.

tandlehill-mist.jpg

Wayland, that is a beautiful picture of a beautiful spot. I've often walked through those woods when the mist or snow is down and you get that muffled silence that wipes out any distant traffic noise and it feels like you, the trees and the occasional crow are the only things alive in the whole world. Wonderful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE