Herts / North London Christmas meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave1942

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 15, 2005
Hemel Hempstead
Like many people on this forum, I have alot of gear that I would like to dispose off. It ranges from sharps to cooking equipment plus other odds and sods. I will be bringing it at the weekend to see if anyone is interested. Likewise if you are in the same situation bring your unwanted kit. I am sure that there will be something for everyone. Helps to keep the cost down as it cuts out paypal and postage fees. You can also see before you swap / buy.

See you all at the week end

Dave

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Dave,
Don't forget to bring that knife you mentioned wanting to have re-ground. Can't say I will do it on the day, but I might as well have a look and can then take it home if needed. Also, you mentioned having some home made stoves that sounded like they would be worth seeing. I'll bring mine, plus the bought one, and we can compare notes :)

Sorry, but I have never cooked a curry in my life, so am afraid that I wouldn't know the first thing about cooking one in the woods. I am happy to help with prep though if someone else can direct. ;)

Having said that, I am also quite happy to potter around burning my own dinner on my own stove, I kind of find it one of the joys of being out :rolleyes: :lmao:

Handy group kit:
I don't remember much about what everyone had, or how things were arranged last time, seeing as I was late :rolleyes:, but if needed I have a shiney new 3.5 litre kettle that might do for over the fire, and a single mantle Coleman lantern that does well for area light of a dark night.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'd quite like to work out how to reprofile/sharpen my spoon knife.

That and how big a lump of pig is needed?

Cheers

Grebby

Not too sure how to reprofile a spoon knife but I'm sure someone will help you out :0

As for the pork how about large lump and we can have a stew on the friday night

Like many people on this forum, I have alot of gear that I would like to dispose off. It ranges from sharps to cooking equipment plus other odds and sods. I will be bringing it at the weekend to see if anyone is interested. Likewise if you are in the same situation bring your unwanted kit. I am sure that there will be something for everyone. Helps to keep the cost down as it cuts out paypal and postage fees. You can also see before you swap / buy.

Looks like I'll have to bring some money with me for the weekend :D Any chance of listing a few of the items Dave so we've got a rough idea of what's on offer?

I'll also dig out any odd bits of kit that I don't have need for (more to the point the little wifey tells me I don't need :D )

Sorry, but I have never cooked a curry in my life, so am afraid that I wouldn't know the first thing about cooking one in the woods. I am happy to help with prep though if someone else can direct. ;)

Having said that, I am also quite happy to potter around burning my own dinner on my own stove, I kind of find it one of the joys of being out :rolleyes: :lmao:

I know what you mean Chris :) . Only a couple people have expressed an interest in doing a group meal for the Saturday night so I'll bring some stuff with me but I'm not promising anything special.... chillies are a better bet from my outdoor cooking :D

Handy group kit:
I don't remember much about what everyone had, or how things were arranged last time, seeing as I was late :rolleyes:, but if needed I have a shiney new 3.5 litre kettle that might do for over the fire, and a single mantle Coleman lantern that does well for area light of a dark night.

My kettle, large cast iron griddle and fire irons will be there also but we can soon take the shine off of your kettle Chris :D I'll also be borrowing an extra large tarp from work incase of inclement weather. I've also got a couple parrafin lanterns to help shed some light in a dark wood :)

dave1942

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 15, 2005
Hemel Hempstead
Hi All,
Here is a list of some of the items that I will be bringing at the week end for trade or sale. Nothing will be over £35-00 per item so if you buy it won't break the bank. I have not put up pictures but I have quoted the buy new price from the Heinnie web site.

1) New in box Spyderco Native folder model C41PBK plain blade. (Heinnie price £59-95) £35-00. (is may not be available on the day as a friend of mine has his eye on it.)

2) New in box Gerber folder. AR 3.00 Plain black blade G5848 (Heinnie price £38-95) £22-50

3) Little used EKA Nordic H8 fixed blade (Heinnie price £56-95) £30-00

4) Little used Fallkniven WM1 Fixed blade VG10 with Kydex /Zytel neck sheath Heinnie price £53-95) £25-00

5) Gerber Compact sport multitool, hardly used. (Heinnie price 42-95) £20-00

6) Coleman stainless cooking sets, about 10yrs old so they may not be available now. Both in good condition. One is small for one person lightweight and the other is a set of 4 pots of varying sizes plus fry pan / lid £8-00 and £15-00.

7) Coleman 400 Featherlight multifuel stove. Again about 10 yrs old but in good condition. £17-50

8) Modified Ikea drainer (Wayland style) with 12cm Zebra pot. Both used but in good condition £12-50

9) Second modified drainer with two home made cook pots (sugar & tea containers). Used to boil water only. £12-50.

10) Swanndri Rover jacket size medium 96 cm (now too snug a fit). Blue and black check,
good condition one button missing from cuff. £25-00.

There will be a lot of other bits including belt pouches, small leather bags, firesteels.

These prices are not cast in stone and I am happy to bargain if necessary.

Dave

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
As for the pork how about large lump and we can have a stew on the friday night

1.7kg(frozen) lump of leg now in fridge defrosting. Is that going to be enough? I can get more out if needed. I've found some leeks and carrots that my dad bought down when he visited so I'll bring those along for the stew as well.

It seems that illumination won't be a problem but if needed I can dig out my colman 2 mantle light?

Cheers

Grebby

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
1.7kg(frozen) lump of leg now in fridge defrosting. Is that going to be enough?

I think that'll be plenty enough for folks I'll bring some potatoes as well as the mixings for the curry Saturday evening. :D

It seems that illumination won't be a problem but if needed I can dig out my colman 2 mantle light?

Won't do any harm to have it in case of backup. Better bring it and not use it than not to bring it and need it

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi All,
Here is a list of some of the items that I will be bringing at the week end for trade or sale. Nothing will be over £35-00 per item so if you buy it won't break the bank. I have not put up pictures but I have quoted the buy new price from the Heinnie web site.

There will be a lot of other bits including belt pouches, small leather bags, firesteels.

These prices are not cast in stone and I am happy to bargain if necessary.

Dave

Seems you're bring a veritable shop Dave :)

dave1942

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 15, 2005
Hemel Hempstead
You haven't seen it all yet. This shop is so overstocked that it dare not buy anything new until it shifts some of what it has got. That's what I have been told. It always happens no matter what I take an interest in, you should see my other camping gear and archery equipment. :eek:

Dave

mittenz

Jul 10, 2008
London
I'm really looking forward to this!! I have been so excited about this i haven't slept properly for 2days how lame is that :( i am going to be exhausted by tomorrow!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm really looking forward to this!! I have been so excited about this i haven't slept properly for 2days how lame is that :( i am going to be exhausted by tomorrow!

LOL..... I'm glad you're looking forward to the meet. I know I am too so lets hope the weather holds up and we all have a good time :)

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Mesquite,

a big thank you for arranging this meet up it was clear that a great deal of effort went into preping the site.

I have a great time and it wan't as cold as it could have been!!

Great to meet all of the folks there too.

dave1942

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 15, 2005
Hemel Hempstead
Hi Steve,
The meet up weekend seems a long time ago. From Jason and I many thanks for organising. It was good to see people that had been on the earlier meet and to make the aquaintance of some new faces.Hope that we can do something similar in the new year.

Dave :) :) :thanks:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi Steve,
The meet up weekend seems a long time ago. From Jason and I many thanks for organising. It was good to see people that had been on the earlier meet and to make the aquaintance of some new faces.Hope that we can do something similar in the new year.

Dave :) :) :thanks:

It was good to see everyone again and the new faces as well. Tis a real shame that was the last meet we'll be able to have in those woods after the landowner withdrew his permission :( but I'm making enquiries so hopefully it won't be the last of the Herts/North London meets :)

In the meantime here's a few pics of that weekend to remind us all of what a good weekend it was.

Main campfire area
herts1.jpg

Dave pondering his hobo stove :)
herts11.jpg

Grebby doing the same :)
herts12.jpg

Jasons new toy.... it really made us jealous but just imagine trying to backpack with it :D
herts2.jpg

Another view of Jason toy, one serious bit of iron work there for sure :)
herts3.jpg

Folks playing around with a flip-flop winch. Amazing just how simple it is but how effective at the same time
herts4.jpg

Chris trying out another winch method using caribiners. Again a very effective method (especially good at pulling over rotten trees :D )
herts5.jpg

Jasons toy in action....
herts8.jpg

And the end results... his and Daves breakfast on the sunday
herts7.jpg

Steve with his young lad and their argos tipi
herts9.jpg

Last but not least.... the after effects of a good bottle of whisky on a certain bushcrafter. He said it was a good idea at the time... but wasn't too sure when he woke up at 11:30am :D
herts6.jpg

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Last but not least.... the after effects of a good bottle of whisky on a certain bushcrafter. He said it was a good idea at the time... but wasn't too sure when he woke up at 11:30am :D
herts6.jpg

I'm just glad that no-one had a camera in action whilst I was trying to get into it. Only took 3 or 4 attempts :eek:

Still I was lovely and warm though. And I thought that 11:30 was pretty good. Only 15 mins later than the previous morning and a couple of hours earlier than a normal Sunday.

Looking forward to the next one :D

Cheers

Grebby

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi to All,

A big thank you to Steve/Mesquite for organising the meet. It was a lovely weekend and a splendid setting.

I had intended to turn up on my own later on Saturday carrying a single pack and sleep in just a bivibag under a tarp. Then just a the last minute my son decided that there was no way he wanted me to leave without him (we had had a strange week and it was all a bit much when it was time for me to go out). After about 2 seconds thought I said "You'll need some more clothes on then!"

It also meant a quick trip up to the attic to the tent store. Mmmm... massive whole family tent (nominally 8 pers), four man dome or the two man tipi? The Argos tipi had only been pitched once in the garden but at £19 it had seemed pretty good value. So that was added to the heap. Plus more water, plus more food and another sleeping bag etc. By the time we finally left home it was 16:00 and already getting dark!

We made our way to the wood and pitched the tipi. This was easier said than done in the dark and not helped by the impenetrable flinty gravel that was immediately below the leaf litter - Note To Self: bin the Argos pegs and replace with something stronger! Still it was up and approximately conical.

tent_6x4.jpg

We joined the main party by the fire and shared in the currey. The one thing I had forgotten to grab was some KFS but Grebby very kindly gave my son a hand carved spoon which he now has as a treasured souvenir. We had some chit chat but we were both tired and turned in at about 20:00. It was quite a cold night and being single skin the tipi had quite a bit of condensation. The sloping sides mean that we didn't get dripped on and I was very happy with the way it held up - no wind but the pegs will be better next time anyway.

We woke at dawn after a starlit night and ventured outside. I don't know how cold it had been at night but the puddles on the tracks had frozen.

ice_6x4.jpg

The woods are mixed but there was plenty of fallen larch for kindling and small firewood.

axe_6x5.jpg

We set to and dug down to the gravel outside the tipi. My son is eight and had never lit his own fire before. I had forgotten that there's a knack to using a ferrorod. He tried and tried before he finally got it right and landed some sparks on the charcloth. After blowing for a while he got flames and the biggest smile.

fire_6x5.jpg

The weather was very kind to us and we had clear blue skies, which is quite a contrast to most weekends before and since. So top marks to Mesquite for organising the climate!

sky_6x4.jpg

All in all a great weekend and one that did both my son and I a great deal of good. Thanks to everyone that made it such a success (including Grebby for also lending my son a wool blanket in the evening and Chris for his help sharpening my knife).

Cheers,
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE