Here is my kit so far.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Hey guys. Like I said before still new to this but here is what I have so far. What would you add/take away?? All thats missing is toiletries, my tripod stool and food and water.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I concur with everyone else, loose the mallet, just use the back of your hatchet as a hammer if needed!!

Do you manage to get all that plus food in that pack?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Yeah loose the mallet and I would also say the mess tins as you have pans and the large utensils if you have a KFS. You could always make a spatula whilst your there.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Yeh leave the mallet at home. Also, do you have anything to cook on? Stove, alcohol burner, something like that? Apart from that you've got the makings of a perfectly usable kit.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
loose the mallet, if you really must have a peg whacker with you, cut a section of rubber and epoxy to the flat end of your axe.
Yeah loose the mallet and I would also say the mess tins as you have pans and the large utensils if you have a KFS. You could always make a spatula whilst your there.
I concur with everyone else, loose the mallet, just use the back of your hatchet as a hammer if needed!!
Definitely loose the mallet. Looks a good kit.
I would say loose the mallet, but the rest is looking ok.

Don't they teach English in England any more? :p Just joking folks. :) But I agree with the sentiment, lose the mallet. To OP, is that two plastic spatulas? Can't see the need for that, but it's not exactly going to be a major weight saving. How long are you planning going for?

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Looks good. Getting out is the most important part, you soon learn what you don't use, what does not work for you and what your missing.

Your kit will evolve as your learn.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't they teach English in England any more? :p Just joking folks. :) But I agree with the sentiment, lose the mallet. To OP, is that two plastic spatulas? Can't see the need for that, but it's not exactly going to be a major weight saving. How long are you planning going for?

Thanks for answering that for ne. I've seen "loose" on here so often I thought it was the English spelling and "lose" was an Americanized spelling. LOL

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Loosing the mallet is good but to be honest I'd take a tent along too. Your an experienced camper but if you don't have a small two man tent I'd say get one from Tesco for £11 et al. People will help you rig your tarp but if you've not used one before it may not be for you so take a tent as back up. Nothing written in stone to say you can't carry something in other than a rucksack, and I would guess there will be as many tent users as tarp/hammock users.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
If I were you if get out for a night close by, hell even in the garden, get everything rigged up and see how you get on with things. Definitely get shut of the mallet, a good log or boot heel is your friend.
Just have a practice run with your kit, make sure you get to grips with the stove, and sleeping setup.
I've rigged my tarps up in the garden to see if there's any potential problems.

touched by nature

rg598

Native
So, I wasn't sure what all the stuff was (probably because I am not familiar with the products available in the UK), so I numbered it and will give you my best guess as to what it is.

IMG_2301.jpg

1. Sleeping bag
2. Hammock
3. Inflatable sleeping mat
4. Tarp

Assuming my guesses are correct, it seems like a good sleep system. I personally like to stay on the ground, but even if you can't find a good hammock location, you can use the tarp, sleeping mat and sleeping bag for a good ground shelter.

5. Fire started + cotton balls

I would bring a lighter or matches as well. It is all fun and games with the ferro rod until there you have been getting rained on and then try to start a fire. The cotton balls (I assume with Vaseline) are a good fire started, but you have a limited number of them. In my experience a lighter will give more consistent use for longer.

6. Post
7. Cup
8. More pots/frying pan?

Serous overkill. A pot and a cup will do everything you need. I know some people like to carry more, but you just have a lot.

9. Backpack

Looks good.

10. I'm not sure what that is.

11. Headlamp

It's a good thing to have

12. Pocket knife

I prefer a multi-tool. You already have a cutting tool in your belt knife. I find the pliers of the multi-tool to be very useful. I would go with a just a small one.

13. Rope

It's good to have. I like to measure mine out into usable lengths both for my shelter and for other tasks. You will likely feel reluctant to cut your cordage in the field, and may end up bringing less than you need.

14. Saw

Good call

15. Mora knife

Also a good call

16. Hatchet

Good to have. You may want to bring a small sharpening stone to touch it up.

17. Mallet

Lose the mallet

18. First aid kit?

If so, good call.

19. Spoons, forks, spatulas, etc.

Lose all of them. Just bring a spoon.

Alright, so keeping in mind that I have no idea what number 10 is, a few things I would add.

1. Water storage. You said that you just didn't put it int he picture. I usually carry one hard bottle (Nalgene) and a folding water bladder.
2. Stove. There will be times where you have to cook under your tarp in the rain. A stove is great help. Also, if you are above tree line, you will need it to melt snow.
3. Water purification. I prefer a filter. The Sawyer Squeeze Filter is light and relatively cheap.
4. Navigation tools. Map and compass!

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

As someone whos back problems are getting worse (I really need to go see someone about that...) I'm constantly trying to think about what to take out of my pack. All these guys suggestions are good, but everyone is different.

Just keep in mind when you go out, what stays in the pack and doesn't get used? Then think about the weight of that thing on your hike out. I rarely bring my poncho, or tarp (besides hammock tarp) with me anymore, unless I KNOW it's going to rain. If it is one of these "30% P.O.P. of showers <1mm" days, then I just forget about it. That's just an example, but you get the drift.

Have fun!

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
rope is handy if the hammock needs to be extended (depends where you go)

axes are heavy, I can often do without mine. In fact I can pretty much always do without it. I think axes are for making things purely for the enjoyment rather than needing them on a hike/camp. In winter though, more fire fuel is needed so it becomes more handy and a bow saw it also useful at these times.

Hammocks would be great in scotland because I find it is easier to find a place for the hammock than it is for a flat space of ground to sleep on the floor

I don't think the multi-tool is needed as you have the knife and saw

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Thanks for all the replies people! number 10 is a rain small waterproof jacket. Yeah lighter duh silly me lol. Yeah cotton balls in vasaline is whats in the small bag. I have water purification tablets next to the first aid kit. Also in the little black bag is the stove I just need to buy gas still.

SO ditch the mallet then yeah haha??

Thanks guys everyone's so helpful on this forum I love it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE