Help with Bird I.D - warning for a graphic image

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ah! shame.. I guess the salt would work. or a brine soak.. then a air dry?

My methods have always been to leave them to dry out, but have always been small bits that don't take long. the bat was pure luck, the noses were tiny and took a few days ina window ledge.

I was gutted when i found out she'd stuck the tortoise in the bin, came to visit her after hearing it died and was expecting to be able to relieve it from it's grave.. haha! really fancied cleaning and polishing that shell, would have even mad ea nice bowly for my house keys! or mints for the children ;)

I shoot and trap alot of rats and have been considering skinning them.. but I don't want a bag of rotting rat skins laying around. and i'm too cheap to specifically buy anything to tan the skins.. with enough of them though they could make a lovely blanket or something :D

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I shoot and trap alot of rats and have been considering skinning them.. but I don't want a bag of rotting rat skins laying around. and i'm too cheap to specifically buy anything to tan the skins.. with enough of them though they could make a lovely blanket or something :D

Now that's not a bad idea you know. A lot of work I guess, but I've seen blankets like that assembled out of more conventional fur-bearers. Rat skins are probaly very thin, would you say? Might be fiddly and delicate. I've read about tanning, but never tried it. You could try brain tanning the skins, with the rats own brains; I think it's supposed to work with any animal. Then you could stretch the little skins on small hoops, Indian style. Imagine what fifty of those would look like lined up to dry :D

I saw some tanned chicken-feet somewhere recently... can't remember where. Crazy.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
haha chicken feet! bet they make interesting decorations!

about 50% of the rats are manky.. bald and clearly ill so onyl the little young ones will make good skins.. their skin is thin but I'm sure someone has done it.. I've never tanned pelts before though.. just chopped off bits that interest me.

I wodner if anyone with more knowledge can help us? haha rat skin moccasons!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
maybe we should open up a an eco friendly potion shop, with all powders, snippings and noses only aquired from sustainable and fair trade sources?

'Samon & Hobbes Alchemical Wonders!' haha!

I bet the powdered talon and rat skin snuff pouches would sell like hot cakes! ;)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
On the subject of goshawks taking owls, I got this lovely close-up picture of a barn owl last year, from about 6 feet away.
IMGP0242.jpg

About a month later, close by, I found the wing feathers of a barn owl, from both wings, in a wood where goshawks are known to nest.

My barn owl has not been seen or heard since :(

As for it being illegal to keep dead bits of certain animals, I have a palp (male reproductive structure) of a Fen Raft Spider, schedule 5 protected species. Highly illegal if it comes down to it, but the part was collected because without the part as evidence no-one could prove the existance of the species at the site where I found it in the first place. Better just a palp than the whole spider, especially given that where I found it is only the third site for the species in the UK.

Within the spider recording community it is known that I have this, but no-one raises it as an issue because you have to have proof when claiming to have found an exceptionally rare species.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE