Help with Bird I.D - warning for a graphic image

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
My wife and I took my parents to the lakes for the weekend and it was lovely.

Yesterday we went on a hike to a local bird watching spot near to where we were staying and upon approaching the copse where the bird station was we disturbed a big bird if prey (which promptly flew off)

Slightly further up the track we came across the unfortunate prey of said bird.

I would like some help with trying to ID the bird but be aware the following pictures are graphic.

bcde92b1-9174-b028.jpg

The bird carcass recently caught. It's wings we're stripped of feathers and it had had its head and neck removed.

bcde92b1-91b5-ea80.jpg

The pile of said feathers

bcde92b1-91d1-9517.jpg

Feather close up

bcde92b1-91ef-2a37.jpg

Bird talons.

Can anyone help me with an ID on this bird?

MODS - I do not intend to offend. Please feel free to remove if deemed necessary.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Thanks for that. Any idea what birds of prey would take a Tawny? I'm not too sure what bird it was that we saw but it's wingspan was easily 3-4ft tip to tp and it looked about 2ft tall with darkish colouring

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
would you be breaking the law if you collected and preserved the leg?

I think it would make an interesting trinket, like a rabbits foot :)

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
would you be breaking the law if you collected and preserved the leg?

I think it would make an interesting trinket, like a rabbits foot :)

Not fully educated on the subject but I thought owls were protected? Maybe someone else can fill that one

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Thanks for that. Any idea what birds of prey would take a Tawny? I'm not too sure what bird it was that we saw but it's wingspan was easily 3-4ft tip to tp and it looked about 2ft tall with darkish colouring

It could have been anything but probably a large buzzard taking it as carrion. The owl could have been injured or dead due to some other cause.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
Yep, Tawny I reckon. And yep, a buzzard would only be feeding on it as carrion. I suppose something like a sparrowhawk could possibly have got it, but unlikely I think: a risky bird to attack! It could easily have died of causes other than predation. I've found two dead tawnys (tawnies?) in the past. One was just lying on the ground, no sign of anything amiss. The other was drowned in a water tank.

It is indeed protected (Countryside & Wildlife Act), but taking the talons or other parts is not illegal. Killing it would have been. As I understand it (I am not a solicitor!) it is good protocol to make records so that you can demonstrate, if required to do so, that you acquired the parts legally - that you found it dead rather than shot it. Photographs go some way toward this. You could make other notes, a 'log' of the find, too. Certainly if you wanted to sell or trade the animal parts, some paperwork (an 'A10') would be required - some people feel you should get one of these anyway, just to keep such things.

I came up against this once when someone got angry with me for having the remains of a buzzard. It was useful to know where I stood legally.

A useful website is: http://www.taxidermylaw.co.uk/. More info at Defra, and you can of course contact your local police Wildlife Officer.

I think most people who collect animal bits and pieces do none of the above :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
LOL

My 9 yo son and I drove past what we thought was a dead kestrel in the road last week. He MADE, nay FORCED, me to turn the car around and go back so that he could preserve whatever he could. It turned out to be a piece of kestrel coloured carpet :eek:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep, Tawny I reckon. And yep, a buzzard would only be feeding on it as carrion. I suppose something like a sparrowhawk could possibly have got it, but unlikely I think: a risky bird to attack! It could easily have died of causes other than predation. I've found two dead tawnys (tawnies?) in the past. One was just lying on the ground, no sign of anything amiss. The other was drowned in a water tank.

It is indeed protected (Countryside & Wildlife Act), but taking the talons or other parts is not illegal. Killing it would have been. As I understand it (I am not a solicitor!) it is good protocol to make records so that you can demonstrate, if required to do so, that you acquired the parts legally - that you found it dead rather than shot it. Photographs go some way toward this. You could make other notes, a 'log' of the find, too. Certainly if you wanted to sell or trade the animal parts, some paperwork (an 'A10') would be required - some people feel you should get one of these anyway, just to keep such things.

I came up against this once when someone got angry with me for having the remains of a buzzard. It was useful to know where I stood legally.

A useful website is: http://www.taxidermylaw.co.uk/. More info at Defra, and you can of course contact your local police Wildlife Officer.

I think most people who collect animal bits and pieces do none of the above :rolleyes:

ah thanks! I have aquired dead animals/animal parts in the apst so was curious. I had a lovely dead bat, fully preserved that I had found in a cottage my dad was going to buy. It must have fallen down the chimney, died while crawling and got preserved by sunlight! no rotting at all and completely dry, I kept it for years but I moved the container I kept it ina nd moisture set in and mould ruined the lovely little thing.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I had a lovely dead bat

Nice! Yes, me too - just like you describe. I guess their body mass is so small that they can just completely dry out in the right conditions. A mummified bat. Poor thing :)

I really don't know how seriously to take all that legal stuff (BCUK does not condone blah blah...) but I feel better for having at least some awareness of what might technically be required. I'm sure in practice people like us are irrelevent to the law: it's after egg theives, dodgy gamekeepers and dealers in tiger penises. But when this person got upset about the buzzard carcass, it was nice to be able to be able to spew out a bit of "Wildlife & Countryside A10 Application bull bull". To this day I don't know quite why he was so bothered - if he knew me, he'd know that... well, ain't that always the way with us humans?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nice! Yes, me too - just like you describe. I guess their body mass is so small that they can just completely dry out in the right conditions. A mummified bat. Poor thing :)

I really don't know how seriously to take all that legal stuff (BCUK does not condone blah blah...) but I feel better for having at least some awareness of what might technically be required. I'm sure in practice people like us are irrelevent to the law: it's after egg theives, dodgy gamekeepers and dealers in tiger penises. But when this person got upset about the buzzard carcass, it was nice to be able to be able to spew out a bit of "Wildlife & Countryside A10 Application bull bull". To this day I don't know quite why he was so bothered - if he knew me, he'd know that... well, ain't that always the way with us humans?

yeah they are very light weight, must be why they self preserve! haha

it's a real shame my bat went rank (my fault of course) as it was beautiful, every toe and claw was intact and even his rumpled wings looked reday for flight. I've collected numberous parts, hedge hog noses, bird feet, beaks etc.. I wonder if dannytsg would mind collecting it and posting it? :rolleyes:

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I wonder if dannytsg would mind collecting it and posting it? :rolleyes:

Hehe, yeah! I have a lot of, hmm, 'dry' bits, but I'm not so good at 'wet' bits. I do actually have the talons of the aforementioned buzzard, still in a jar of salt somewhere. Still haven't got around to finding out what to do with them. Any ideas?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hehe, yeah! I have a lot of, hmm, 'dry' bits, but I'm not so good at 'wet' bits. I do actually have the talons of the aforementioned buzzard, still in a jar of salt somewhere. Still haven't got around to finding out what to do with them. Any ideas?

make powdered talon..? might be a useful ingrediant for a tantalising potion! :)

wear them? sew them onto a hat or soemthing like that! I made a dog/my own teeth necklace! pliered out somke dead dog teeth and some of mine the dentist removed and threaded on a chain, looks good! but my neck is now far too fat to wear the chain..

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
make powdered talon..? might be a useful ingrediant for a tantalising potion! :)

wear them? sew them onto a hat or soemthing like that! I made a dog/my own teeth necklace! pliered out somke dead dog teeth and some of mine the dentist removed and threaded on a chain, looks good! but my neck is now far too fat to wear the chain..

LOL! Ok, we're already going to sound bloody weird to anyone that reads this thread, but that takes the biscuit mate! :D A dog/my own tooth necklace. F***ing random! And yet, somehow, marvellous.

Yes, powdered talon... that's gonna have some potent powers. Needs to go into some sort of shamanic snuff maybe :rolleyes: Only he who is strong of heart can travel with the spirit of the buzzard's talon...

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
LOL! Ok, we're already going to sound bloody weird to anyone that reads this thread, but that takes the biscuit mate! :D A dog/my own tooth necklace. F***ing random! And yet, somehow, marvellous.

Yes, powdered talon... that's gonna have some potent powers. Needs to go into some sort of shamanic snuff maybe :rolleyes: Only he who is strong of heart can travel with the spirit of the buzzard's talon...

haha! talon snuff! sounds nice ;)

I don't like to waste stuff.. so when I see teeth or beask attackech to dead stuff it doesnt bother me, I collect them and find uses eventually! might also be a good idea for me to learn how to actually dry my dead finds.. suprised I haven't gotten ill yet.. is salt a good way? or are there other diy ways?

My mum refused to elt me have her dead turtoise! haha, quite fancied a tortoise shell cereal bowl.. or ash tray! hehe

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
No way! A tortoise shell would be a wicked thing to have about the place. I suppose I can understand Mum not wanting to see you stubbing your Rothmans out on poor old Bertie, but still... I mean, it's a tortoise shell!

might also be a good idea for me to learn how to actually dry my dead finds.. suprised I haven't gotten ill yet.. is salt a good way? or are there other diy ways?

Well yes, that's actually what I was asking you! I put the talons in the salt for want of anything better to do. I was sure it would preserve them, and probably help to desiccate them. That was over a year ago... I should dig them out and see what's become of them. I was moderately successful at drying the wing of the buzzard, just by tacking it out on a board and hanging it up in the sawmill - plenty of airflow - other people there just as weird as me so didn't look twice. Unfortunately though it was already maggoted, and the feathers fell out along the leading edge. The tawny wing I did with the same method worked fine. Beyond this I have no experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE