The experiences of a pheasant plucker ;)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I decided at the end of last year to man up a bit and increase my prepping skills further than being able to open plastic packaging so I purchased a .22 air rifle, took a few weeks of practicing and work out how to calibrate my scope. Once I was confident enough I could get a clean head shot of a squirrel, rabbit or pigeon or even a pheasant (with permission) and I knew my range I started stalking. I will tell you now its easier to hit these darn animals with your car than it is to try and sneak up on them!
So after a morning of trying to sneak up on numerous pigeon and getting two chances but missing, a pheasant presented himself and once he disappeared behind a large tree it gave me the chance to quickly sneak within about 8 metres of him and with a tree to take the movement out of my aim I got a clean head shot and I had my first kill!
I then hung the pheasant in my shed and it gave me a few days to research and watch youtube videos to see how to pluck and draw my bird.
After a few PM's to and from British Red (thank you) I felt ready and here is the end result!

A feather off 2 lb in weight!

So my experiences on the tips I got off BR and the www

make sure you pluck the bird outside, I did it in the shed but I was going to do it in kitchen as I thought I would be able to catch all the feathers, YOU CAN'T!

do NOT remove the wings, legs and head first to make it less ghoulish! (As one article put it). I took the legs and wings off first as I thought it would help me see how far I need to pluck but it just made it harder to hold the bird whilst plucking the rest of it.

"Whip" the feathers out, my first pull wasnt hard enough and I ripped the skin. It sounds silly but the harder you yank the feathers the less chance you are going to rip the skin.

Some people said pull against the direction of the feathers and some say with the direction, I found the larger feathers were easier and less likely to tear the skin when pulled in the direction they sat but the smaller down feathers were easier against the direction.

I did all my cuts and with a Mora Companion (£11), it was nice and sharp and I was also able to use it to cut through the neck with one clean push.
The only bit I didn't do with the knife was remove the wings as I saw someone do it with a hatchet, don't do it with a hatchet! It just smashed the hollow bone. Next time I will cut round with my knife and snap it on the joint.

Gutting it was actually very easy and unless you want to pick out the heart, kidneys and liver, you don't even need to look at it all, just have a little pull around inside the ribcage and pull it all out and drop it straight in the bin!

So my outcome of it all is, it wasn't as horid as what I thought it was going to be and I feel very proud for achieving the end result and providing a fresh and wild meal for my family. I will let you know how it tastes after dinner tomorrow (well technically today).

My advice, if you would like to give it a go then go for it, even if you only buy the bird whole from a butcher, go for it.

Now whats next on my "to try" list?

Thank you for reading and thank you again to British Red for you advice and giving me a confidence boost to prepare the bird and not chicken out. Boom Boom!!!

Chris

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice one Chris, great skills to have under one's belt.:D Doing the whole lot yourself, I think, gives you a greater appreciation for the animal and the meal on your plate.

Rob.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well done Chris,
You should be chuffed with yourself as they are good skills to have. Think some of us who were brought up doing it don't always realise what big steps they are for folk who've never done it before. Learning to do it properly, safely and with respect for ones quarry make a big difference.
Well done again and I'm sure that it'll taste a huge amount better for all the work and care you've put in.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Palaeocory

Forager
That's awesome. Must have been the most delicious meal ever, having shot and prepared it yourself!

I've been watching some videos on how to pluck and prepare pigeon and pheasant, and the other week bought 2 pheasant in the feather for an outdoor meal, but alas passed the birds off to the cook and didn't learn myself :) Next time!

Also, a brace of pheasants is £3?? That's so cheap! Another reason we should learn to pluck a bird, even if we don't know how to shoot! Unfortunately I like in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment with no outdoor space so it's not really feasable at this moment... but soon!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
You've done a good job off that. Normally I just whip off the breast and legs. Always nice to have a roast though.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
That looks like a good clean dressed bird. I've done hundreds over the years and, unless I was dressing for sale or restaurants, I'd just skin the whole bird and wrap it in the fattest smoked streaky bacon I could find and slow roast it. Either that or halve the bird and braise in cider.

Customers and restaurants, however, always wanted neat, untorn, skin. Bit of a pain but, hey ho!

Reactions: Toddy

Pitkin

Life Member
Jul 26, 2007
Buckinghamshire
You did well there Chris not tearing the skin, thats a very neat job, take my hat off to you,
Always seem to rip the skin no matter how careful I am,
probably pays to do it when your not so hungry!

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Thank you for all the nice comments guys! We have just had a lovely roast and still have plenty left for casserole or a fried rice. I did tear the skin a little but managed to stop it from carrying on.

Good on you Chris. I suppose you'll be doing the group meal next Saturday. :rolleyes:

I was hoping to bring a meal to the table Colin but I dont think it will be this weekend.

Chris

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Nice job! I don't generally shoot pheasant, i prefer the taste of pigeon, but common practice over here is to just skin them as plucking can be a bit fiddly. Might be worth a try next time if you're in a hurry.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Nice job! I don't generally shoot pheasant, i prefer the taste of pigeon, but common practice over here is to just skin them as plucking can be a bit fiddly. Might be worth a try next time if you're in a hurry.

The next mission is pigeons I think, which I believe just removing the breast meat is the norm? But next time I have a pheasant I am going to try the skinning method.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
You can skin the whole bird and roast, but poppoing the breasts out is easiest and you generally get a good haul. Two minutes in a pan will cook pigeon breasts perfectly. A nice easy recipe is to pan fry the pigeon in soy sauce a minute each side and combine black pudding, orange segments, beetroot and rocket for a quick yet yummy salad. :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Nice neat job there, very well done!

I usually use secateurs or shears for the wings, but more often I just remove the breast meat.

Dave

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Good job! I usually get free pheasant after beating for a day, and so if I don't have time to pluck I just stand on the wings and pull the legs. Everything just slides right out. Then just quickly skin and take off the legs. Whole thing takes about 5 mins and not much meat missed :)

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
I decided at the end of last year to man up a bit and increase my prepping skills further than being able to open plastic packaging so I purchased a .22 air rifle, took a few weeks of practicing and work out how to calibrate my scope. Once I was confident enough I could get a clean head shot of a squirrel, rabbit or pigeon or even a pheasant (with permission) and I knew my range I started stalking. I will tell you now its easier to hit these darn animals with your car than it is to try and sneak up on them!
So after a morning of trying to sneak up on numerous pigeon and getting two chances but missing, a pheasant presented himself and once he disappeared behind a large tree it gave me the chance to quickly sneak within about 8 metres of him and with a tree to take the movement out of my aim I got a clean head shot and I had my first kill!
I then hung the pheasant in my shed and it gave me a few days to research and watch youtube videos to see how to pluck and draw my bird.
After a few PM's to and from British Red (thank you) I felt ready and here is the end result!

A feather off 2 lb in weight!

So my experiences on the tips I got off BR and the www

make sure you pluck the bird outside, I did it in the shed but I was going to do it in kitchen as I thought I would be able to catch all the feathers, YOU CAN'T!

do NOT remove the wings, legs and head first to make it less ghoulish! (As one article put it). I took the legs and wings off first as I thought it would help me see how far I need to pluck but it just made it harder to hold the bird whilst plucking the rest of it.

"Whip" the feathers out, my first pull wasnt hard enough and I ripped the skin. It sounds silly but the harder you yank the feathers the less chance you are going to rip the skin.

Some people said pull against the direction of the feathers and some say with the direction, I found the larger feathers were easier and less likely to tear the skin when pulled in the direction they sat but the smaller down feathers were easier against the direction.

I did all my cuts and with a Mora Companion (£11), it was nice and sharp and I was also able to use it to cut through the neck with one clean push.
The only bit I didn't do with the knife was remove the wings as I saw someone do it with a hatchet, don't do it with a hatchet! It just smashed the hollow bone. Next time I will cut round with my knife and snap it on the joint.

Gutting it was actually very easy and unless you want to pick out the heart, kidneys and liver, you don't even need to look at it all, just have a little pull around inside the ribcage and pull it all out and drop it straight in the bin!

So my outcome of it all is, it wasn't as horid as what I thought it was going to be and I feel very proud for achieving the end result and providing a fresh and wild meal for my family. I will let you know how it tastes after dinner tomorrow (well technically today).

My advice, if you would like to give it a go then go for it, even if you only buy the bird whole from a butcher, go for it.

Now whats next on my "to try" list?

Thank you for reading and thank you again to British Red for you advice and giving me a confidence boost to prepare the bird and not chicken out. Boom Boom!!!

Chris
Pigeons are fast sent they.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I remember my first experience of similar things. A skin on rabbit bought in a market when of primary school age. We got s book out of library and skinned it ourselves, me and and dad.

I struggled with removing the paws/ lower legs. Note it was so long ago I can hardly remember the details but I seem to recall snapping the leg bones. My dad did the first one. I think I did most of it though. Not sure whether my dad already knew how to do it or not but he left a lot of it to me. I thank him for that tbh because I've never done it since. I believe it helps to appreciate meat more when you have at least prepped it fully once. Anyway, we found out most of us in the family don't like bunny meat. We've never had it since.

A second food prep experience was pheasant. On the way down to my grandparents we hit a plump pheasant with the car. It was nearly dead so my dad finished it off and put it in the car.

At my grandparents we hung it for a few days while we had our traditional Xmas. A few days after we hung it up from stepladders in the greenhouse to pluck. Me, my grandad and my dad set about plucking. I found it a bit hard so left it to them. I got bored and went off. Half hour later they came in with almost a shop bought pheasant. I think for my grandad it wasn't his first by some margin. Being in a reserved occupation in WWII and possibly a bit too old he was at home. He bartered a lot I reckon as he had a decent garden with a good veg and fruit plot plus apple and pear trees. I suppose he learnt to pluck birds back then.

BTW that pheasant went well with Xmas turkey in one of my gran's pies. Turkey and pheasant went well together!

All good experiences as a kid I reckon. Or adult!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE