help with a wood burner.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
Hi guys,

I'm currently working on making a wood burning stove from an old gas bottle in my free time but I've hit a snag. I need to make a hole in one end of the bottle approx 2 1/2 inches in diameter. I'll be welding the chimney over this hole.

My question is this......
How do I cut the hole?
I have most metal working tools available, (except a 2 1/2 inch metal hole saw) grinders,dremels drills, etc

Just can't get my usually creative head around it

Cheers

Munki

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I got a mate to burn a hole with his gas axe - very messy but quick.
If you're going to cut the collar off then you could use a jigsaw with a hacksaw blade - that's how I cut the hole for the door.

Z

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Chain drilling!

Mark the circle (possibly a little smaller than you intend the finished size) and then drill a series of smaller holes following the line, use a rat-tail file to join a few up, then get a hacksaw blade in there to hack out the rest - finish up with a broader half round file or rotary file!

Ogri the trog

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Or buy a new hole saw, drill a series of small holes, Get a tank cutter with adjustable cutting blade.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
Cheers guys. Chain drilling would be the logical option as it doesn't need to be neat and tidy. I got too fixated on making a perfectly circular hole. I used a 9 inch grinder to cut the door out and chop out a few extra unwanted bits. It sounds like some of u guys have done these before so any tips/advice would be gratefully received

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I used an Oxy cutter but a grinder will do.
Small grinding disc gives a better cut in this case cos it ends up being like a 50 pence piece. Bigger grinding disc makes the flats longer if you see what I mean.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE