Help, which trousers??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Hi All,

I need a new pair of trousers and I don't want to end up like wallace and gromit. So I have decided I need a decent pair that will be relatively hard wearing, quick drying and hopefully fairly stylish.

They will be used for a mix of work at the allotments, hiking, camping, gardening, wearing into town and shops so the style is important to me as well.

Frankly I like relatively baggy or boot cut trousers. I hated the Craghopper Kiwis I tried on and the other craghopper trousers I have tried made too much noise. I also don't like it when trousers have coloured patches on them like Bear Grylls range do. Another thing is I am not a fan of lots of pockets on the leg as I simply don't use them, whenever I have done the stuff just seems to flap about, but this is flexible is everything else is right.

My budget is around £75 but it could go to £100 for an awesome pair. This is justified as I generally live in certain clothes and accept having a limited wardrobe.

So far I have considered

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/inde...n/products.detail/code/17210452/id_colour/145

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/838-Fjallraven-Karl-Trousers-Dark-Olive/

But am concerned about spending such sums without trying them on or knowing how big they are on the leg.

Anyone have any other suggestions or know of a company who stock a lot of Fjallraven trousers in the UK? Alternatively are there any good stores in East Anglia that would have any of these in stock for me to have a look at?

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
5.11 worth a look cotton or lightweight fabric I love mine.... I have fjalls as well but had to order on line....so sizing always a concern..

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Hi Steve

I use Swedteam Hermelin trousers and like them alot, plus they are a tad cheaper than the Fjallraven Barents. they do have patches n pockets though but check put bushwear they have lots of styles.

Try looking at www.bushwear.co.uk as they are really good or
try www.route62.eu they are a dutch company but ship to the UK and i have just got another pair of Hermelins inc postage from them for £20 odd cheaper than over here, plus they do Lundhags, Haglofs, Fjallraven etc as well have a look the site is available in English

Good luck matey

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Thanks for the help and advice guys, it is appreciated and certainly helps making a decision.

I can see why you like the Hermelins, if they were a solid colour I think they would be getting my money. Thanks for those links as well, I haven't been on those sites before so it helps.

Regarding the patches I get the impression from the few that I have seen that they aren't patches, they are integral parts of the trousers that are just different colours, I presume as it is a different type of material, extra stretchy or something and that they can't just be removed. Though it is hard to be 100% on this when you can't see them in the flesh.

One of the reasons I am happy to pay more is that I have tried in the past to get cheaper trousers to work for me, too tight, legs are too slim etc and they just never seem to come out as I want them to, so finally accepted I have to pay more. I know I am being picky, I just feel that I would rather spend more and get exactly what I want than less and get a compromise. It's just finding some that match what I am after is what I am struggling with.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Vertx cotton pant. Comes in a variety of neutral colours and is relatively low profile. You can get them in desert tan on the Edgar Brother's website too. They go for £40 a pair, so why not get 2 instead of something silly and 'technical' for £75+. They're 98% cotton 2% spandexy stuff. Just to say though - I was wearing them before Ray Mears said they were cool :p http://shop.edgarbrothers.com/pages/Pants6.aspx

5.11 TDUs are good too because they have the knee pads, which would work to your advantage if you're gardening, shooting, etc, but I would get them in the twill and not the ripstop. I have the ripstop and I just don't have the fetish for it... Poly cotton isn't really my bag either.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
5.11 taclites - not too many pockets, not OTT in military style, and the leg pockets are not bellows meaning items don't jiggle around in them. Quick drying too, and hard wearing. You could buy two pairs and have change for your budget.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I would say 5.11's would be your best bet. I have the total opposite dilemma to you, I can't stand trousers that are baggy in the legs and plenty of pockets always seems to be a plus for me - even if it does encourage me to carry too much stuff ;) Uttings.co.uk seems to have a good amount of 5.11 gear but shop around in case they are charging too much!

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I have two preferences: Lightweight craghoppers -worn a range of these for years, much better fit (for me) than other brands -except the zip-offs, they weren't as comfy. Also make excellent lined ones for winter.

Other preference Army surplus. dirt cheap, great pockets, quick drying. (you do look like an army nut though if you overdo the camo!)

Jay

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well since I took up my allotment that has severely tested my trousers that had previously survived many outdoor expeditions. I think in retrospect, plenty of room to move and thornproof are two good criteria, where you can't go wrong. My brother has just donated me an old (and I mean old, woolen and pre goretex) pair of craghoppers britches, though I am not sure if I want to be seen wearing them.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Vertx cotton pant. Comes in a variety of neutral colours and is relatively low profile. You can get them in desert tan on the Edgar Brother's website too. They go for £40 a pair, so why not get 2 instead of something silly and 'technical' for £75+. They're 98% cotton 2% spandexy stuff. Just to say though - I was wearing them before Ray Mears said they were cool :p http://shop.edgarbrothers.com/pages/Pants6.aspx

5.11 TDUs are good too because they have the knee pads, which would work to your advantage if you're gardening, shooting, etc, but I would get them in the twill and not the ripstop. I have the ripstop and I just don't have the fetish for it... Poly cotton isn't really my bag either.

I've a brand new pair of 5.11 tdu cotton twill in the classified section. Cheap as chips depending on your waist. :sly:

Nuggets.. "YOW Bear Yow Bear"
Bear.. "Eyup Chis... Can yor undastand a wurd e just sed? "

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I've a pair of Fjall Cape Horn which are brilliant plus a pair of Railrider Extremes both of which would tick all your boxes. Corso of this parish sometimes has Railriders - awesome strides!! Just bought a pair of Helikon SFUs off the bay too that are pretty good quality for the money. Good luck with your search.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, they have certainly added a few more options and made the selection much harder but it is appreciated!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE