Help to ID a plant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 29, 2014
Sheffield
Hi everyone,

This is a very common plant in Yorkshire but all my tries to ID it have been unsuccessful.
Below are photos.
The size varies from 30 cm to 130cm. Grows absolutely everywhere.

e5a2ugeg.jpg
uny7apa9.jpg
emaqe3e3.jpg
abavade2.jpg
epupa5es.jpg

Thanks a bunch.

noctilus

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Good call. Cicely is pretty hard to separate from cow parsley except from the fruit, which this doesn't have. Cow parsley is more common though.

May 29, 2014
Sheffield
It looks like cow parsley, the root smells of parsley/carrot, the seeds have parsley smell to them. Thank you very much chaps. It's been bugging me for weeks. :relief: :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cow parsley tends to have much finer feathered leaves but I am far from an expert on umbells.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cow parsley has a U shaped grove down the leaf stalk. I wish you'd found a better leaf to photo....cow parsley has three distinct leaf break outs. The one you show looks a bit mangled so it might well be.

cheers,
Toddy

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
One thing to say is for goodness sake don't even think of eating any umbellifer on the basis of someone else's identification, even (especially) mine. I say this because you might read that cow parsley is edible, which it is, but some other umbellifers are awfully similar if you don't know what you are looking at, and they can be seriously, potentially fatally, toxic.

I know you haven't said anything about eating it, but better safe than sorry.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fool's parsley for instance. Please listen to Mike; white umbellifleurs need absolute certainty of identification. Our most poisonous plants are white umbellifleurs.

cheers,
Toddy

May 29, 2014
Sheffield
Thank you for the warnings. It wasn't my intention to eat the plant. Just one of those things that bug you for ages , if you know what I mean.
I forage for known and unmistakable plants and fruit. While doing it lately there was so much of that cow parsley around I just got curious.
And yes, umbellifers are a nightmare to ID.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good attitude to it :D

I try to find something utterly unique and that can't be mistaken for anything else about each of the white ones. It's the only way I can seperate some of them out.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes :D
I grow sweet cicely in the garden, and pignuts too :) Meadowsweet and cow parsley grow along side the burn. I can find most of the others growing somewhere around the villages or the riverside. Still can't identify them all though :eek:

cheers,
M

May 29, 2014
Sheffield
Pig nut in my garden! Why didn't I come up with that earlier ?!
Toddy, thank you for that epiphany :)
I'll search for some sweet cicely, but it's nowhere around Sheffield, unless I'm blind (which I've been known to be).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It grows quite well in pots :D and it self seeds among the gravel if you're not careful :rolleyes: and if you'll wait until the seeds are well set, I'll post some sweet cicely ones to you. It's a pretty little plant and it smells beautiful :D

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
While we're on the tricky subject of umbrelifers (so easy to get it badly wrong) has anyone tried Candied Angelica? (Angelica archangelica) My grandfolks used to grow it in the garden and it was always a treat when Gran would candy some. Good for the tummy and a good treat to have a munch on when out for a walk.
Haven't had it in years though. May have to try next year.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like it :) I keep it in the pantry for my baking too. It goes into the chocolate-cherry-coconut slice cake I bake, and I use it to decorate mignardises.

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like it :) I keep it in the pantry for my baking too. It goes into the chocolate-cherry-coconut slice cake I bake, and I use it to decorate mignardises.

cheers,
M

Oh that sounds good Mary I think pictures and a recipe are in order for that! There was a great Mediterranean food stall in Perth the other week doing Olives, garlics, baklava and the likes but also all sorts of candied/dried fruit. Had some nice hunks of pineapple and papaya to sit and slice while on the wander 'round the woods before I came in. Very yumm!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE