Help this Dutchie finish his first Kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hi guys (and gals),

Last weekend I found a birch birl and decided to have a go at a kuksa. I have been working on it the last few days and am arriving at the stage where I need to decide how to go about finishing it. I would love your advise on how to proceed. I have cut out the shape and did a rough sanding. I can either now let it drie out and then do the rest of the sanding. I can sand now and oil it. I have read about boiling it in salt water. Is that something I could do now? Do I need to let it drie afterwards before doing the final sanding?

Oh well, as you can tell this is my first go but hope to end up with a functional kuksa. Any advise is much appreciated!

SAM_0306.JPG

SAM_0308.JPG

SAM_0311.JPG

SAM_0351.JPG

SAM_0352.JPG

SAM_0366.JPG

SAM_0367.JPG

SAM_0369.JPG

SAM_0370.JPG

SAM_0371.JPG

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks a beaut Ducky, good way to keep the Dutch name high ^^.
But sorry no advice here either, only made myself two bowls yet so cant really give something usefull for you to work with.
So decided how you are wanting to finish it yet?
Yours sincerely Ruud

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Again, yet again another person who isn't really an expert on these but my initial reaction (after oo pretty) was perhaps thin the walls a tad (Ok more prone to splitting but nicer to drink from in personal experience).
As far as drying, good to let it dry slowly in a bag and minimise cracking, then finish it off with some raw linseed or tung oil or whatever (but not olive oil as it goes rancid)

Hopefully someone that actually knows what theyre talking about will be along shortly
Goodluck
Dan

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I pinch the wall and tap the outside of the Kuksa to get an idea of the thickness. I think the wall is about 2,5 mm thick now. I still need to do some more sanding so it should take the width down another 0,5 mm. Thinner might be better but I am afraid I might ruin it trying to make it better ;)
My daughter already tried to confiscate the Kuksa so I promised to make her one as well. That I can try and make with even thinner walls.

I actually have some spoon oil I bought from the United States. Dedicated oil for eating utensils so was planning to use that.

I am tempted to boil the Kuksa now, let it dry out slowly and then do the final sanding and oiling. Many threads on Kuksa making but this final stage is not too clear to me.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If the wood is properly dried, the boiling isn't necessary, or at least that's my understanding.

Personally I'd just finish that off, make sure it is dry, and give it a coat or two of your food-safe oil.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
If you want to be sure not cracking your new kuksa, DO NOT yet thin the walls further down, keep the kuksa in a bag allong with some of its shavings.
That would make sure no splitting occurs. That is a trick I learned of a bowl turner, yet he turns his bowls a little more thick then he wants them and doesnt put them into a bag, he just throws them full of their own shavings and keeps them in his barn, where is lathe is.
Yours sincerely Ruud

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Thanks for the replies and and advice so far!
I haven't read any adverse effects of boiling in salt so I took the plunge and did it. Approximately 2 hours in a pot of water with 4 tablespoons of salt. I boiled until the little bubbles stopped coming from the Kuksa.

It went a bit darker from the boiling, which I think will be similar to when it has been oiled.
It now looks like this:

SAM_0372.JPG

SAM_0373.JPG

SAM_0375.JPG

SAM_0374.JPG

I put it in an open bag with some of the shavings to let it dry out slowly. I will then sand it and oil it and perhaps rinse out the salt with some booze ;)

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
From what I've read, you have done exactly the right thing.

I didn't boil mine, but I left it to dry very slowly, covered in shavings and wrapped in a plastic bag before I did the final sanding and oiling.

Mine wasn't carved from a burr though, yours will look great when it's done. Make sure you post the final picture.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Maybe you already got one, but for the final finishing you should use a sikling, at least that is what it is caled in norwegian. The correct english word might be "scraper".
It is basically a hardned metal plate with sharp edges to scrape down tool marks and shave of the loose fibres.
You can se two different types here: http://www.sloyd-detaljer.no/product.aspx?productid=2013&deptid=68
The site is in norwegian, but I guess you get the idea how it looks.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Maybe you already got one, but for the final finishing you should use a sikling, at least that is what it is caled in norwegian. The correct english word might be "scraper".
It is basically a hardned metal plate with sharp edges to scrape down tool marks and shave of the loose fibres.
You can se two different types here: http://www.sloyd-detaljer.no/product.aspx?productid=2013&deptid=68
The site is in norwegian, but I guess you get the idea how it looks.

I guess you would use this prior to the sanding? With the crook knife I am able to get a pretty smooth surface and I have now done the rough sanding. I can see it being a handy tool for next time as it reduces the effort needed for sanding. Thanks for the tip!

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
It's used for the last finishing touch, after the sanding, to remove all toolmarks and stripes from the sanding. You could also use fine, soap free, steel wool after you use the scraper (sikling).
I have seen a few woodcarvers that don't use sandpaper at all. They belive it destroys the wood and the dust from sanding destroys the cutting edges on their tools.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
The scraping or shaving, is done as a final finish this because sanding breaks your grain making it vulnerable for pollution and when the grain is left mostly intact it will give a much smoother and also better lasting finish, I you sand finish your piece you have the chance of it turning fluffy real soon. If you need some advice in dutch send me a PM ^^, I could even direct you to some suppliers or possible cheap solutions.
Yours sincerely Ruud

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Ok interesting, I usually just wet the wood after sanding to raise the fibres before sanding again. A couple of runs like that and the surface is smooth as silk.
I know baptist sells scrapers in the Netherlands. I you have any other good ideas or sources, please do shoot me a PM.

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
Looks good lennard!
I've already told you that on our Dutch Bushcraft Forum.
You have to bless it with some liquor before using it.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
The final cutting, sanding and oiling done, it is now finished :)

Only a couple of blisters from the sanding and no permanent damage from the crook knife (scary things) , I am well pleased with the result :D

SAM_0431.JPG

SAM_0433.JPG

SAM_0432.JPG

SAM_0437.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE