Beginner kuksa questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 28, 2023
Bristol
Can anyone hit me with their best tips for a beginner level kuksa. I don’t think my skills stretch to identifying/ carving a burl yet! I have seen blanks for sale on Etsy. Would this be a good next step? And sorry to the purists!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I might have a Sycamore Kuksa blank out in the shed that you can have, it will be seasoned and rock hard now though as i blanked it out a good couple of years ago, so will need putting in hot water initially then soaking in water for a few days to soften it up a tad, I normally leave them in water until they sink, then you know it's saturated.

Unfortunately i can't get out in my workshop at present to search for it because of health issues, so next time someone is here, i'll ask them to go and look for it.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Depending on where you are with your skillset, I would advise that you have a go at carving a spoon first as the carving techniques are much the same.

However, if you're experienced in spoon carving then happy days. A Kuksa is kind of like carving a really big, if slightly odd shaped, spoon!

Wood selection was the biggest challenge that I faced. I don't have ready access to green wood and usually hunt around for wind blown or any forestry works up my local woods.

Buying a blank is a good practical solution if wood selection is also a problem for you. But, personally, I'd invest more time in searching for a piece of wood because ax'ing out the blank is a big part of the fun.

The advice above about using a curved gouge is good. I use a spoon knife and it took a good while and left me nursing a few blisters on my soft office worker hands! You can only work with what you have though.

Spare a thought for what you want to be drinking out of the cup. Spirits, wine and espressos won't need so much volume and will be easier. However, a nice cup of tea might need a bit more space!

Be aware that hot drinks can cause problems in wooden vessels. Cracking can be a problem. To that end it might be worth ensuring that your bowl is a little thicker than you might first have imagined. I'm far from an expert here though, others might be able to offer some more wisdom on mitigating this issue!

The best bit of advice I can offer you though is to just take your time, rest those tired hands when necessary and enjoy the process.

Reactions: RoxyM
Aug 28, 2023
Bristol
Fab thank you Barney.

Yes, I’ve bashed out a few spoons would love to move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE