Help Please?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
(Without Prejudice) I know you are a worldly wise bunch, so, i have a little issue i would like some advice on please.

I am in a relationship with a lady, who has two boys that i have recently introduced to bushcrafting/wildcamping etc, and their father is unhappy about the situation, i know all the legal aspects as regards their welfare,safety etc.

But it was their turn with him this weekend, and unfortunately, mum left three moras in the pack the eldest boy took to dads and dad found them and was horrified, took the knives placed them on the floor and photographed them, gave the lads a lecture etc.

Anyway, my question is can i/we be in any trouble legally? The boys are 9 and 11.

Thanks

Ivan...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No. You can't get in trouble legally. Not because of their age. You only need to be 18 to buy a knife, not to possess one. Only thing they could try do was having one without reasonable excuse, but you didn't have it, they did, and they are too young to be prosecuted anyway.

Don't worry about it.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I feel for you there mate, but as hillbill has already said legally there shouldn't be an issue. It may be worth having a chat with him to put his mind at rest about whats involved when you go outdoors with the kids.
The only advice I could give is to make sure that when the kids have sharps, its alongside a first aid kit. (Sucking eggs I know)
When our 3 year old found a cheapo Chinese sak clone in his brothers bedroom drawer and cut his hand (ended up in hospital with stitches), all my sharps are now in a locked cabinet in the shed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
As stated no legal issue, maybe a welfare/safety issue. If he's being akward he could report it to social services but I doubt anything would come of it.
The problem would come if they got stopped in public, saying you forgot they were there is not a defence in law. My advice is to get a locked case and count the knives out then back in after a trip (after being cleaned sharpened and oiled of course).

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
It might be an opportunity to forge an understanding between you, perhaps the kids could take HIM camping on 'his' weekend and introduce him to it (minus the sharps?).. he'd see their enjoyment, they'd love having something to share with him and it could reassure him that you're good for his lads rather than what his fears might prompt him to think :)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi ivan all good advise from are friends above have a chat with him and try not to make the same mistake again old friend see you soon regards dave :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks everyone, maybe a bit of blind panic on my part, it was a silly mistake to make, he is so far removed from the outdoors/camping thing, he won't be taking the boys out anytime soon.

Obviously there is a little bad feeling between us(not on my part) he won't even speak to me, so a grown up compromise is unlikely, i did think the photographing of the knives was a little over the top, but hey ho we all operate in different ways, it's just a shame it upset the boys, never mind won't be making the same mistake again.

Knives etc will be counted in and out, like an operating room, from now on.

Shame really,if he could see how much they have learn't in recent months, i am sure he would be proud of them, they love it!

Ivan...

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
... Shame really,if he could see how much they have learn't in recent months, i am sure he would be proud of them, they love it...
I noticed with my lads that as they get older, they kinda 'pick out' alternative menfolk to model and learn from, so they're lucky to have you both in their lives :) And even when being a stepdad seems hardest, I'm told that being accepted as that special n trusted freind is a huuuuuge compliment.

Perhaps if your lass could explain it was her mistake that the knives were not put away, the steps you're taking to ensure it doesn't happen again and the lads could whittle him up a little present so he sees the end use? They could make a feather stick at yours then fire it with a steel with him for a bit of fun? It might reassure him that it's not all about the sharps :)

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi everyone this is Alison, the dozy one, who left the knives in my boys pack! Firstly many thanks for all you responses to our cries for help and especially Turbo girl for her kind words.

Both me and my boys were complete newbies to the whole bushcraft until I met up with Ivan. My first response to him was 'you won't get me in the woods'! However now he has trouble keeping me out!

Since coming to meets we have met so many wonderful people who have all welcomed us into the fold (you know who you are!) My boys always had a fabulous time and greatly enjoy being part of the great outdoors. Everyone has been very patient and kind to them and they have already learned how to make paracord bracelets, one of which they gave to their dad, shooting targets with an air rifle, lighting a fire with a fire steel and carving. They have absolutely loved it and we have never been home for very long before they start asking when they are going again.

Not sure their dad will every fully understand why they love it ,but hopefully he will accept that they do.

Thank you all once again

Alison

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They are lucky to have a male influence in their lives. Too many kids dont these days.

I have been told so many times fathers are not neccisary; I refuse to believe it.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Also His nibs is being jelous.

He will have to find some way to get their attention...You could have two sets of hobbies here.

Or isnt he the hobbyist type?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE